#495162 16/05/14 05:18 PM
M
mbf Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
In Project Update #60 I read this:
"Taken together, these advancements mean you can play D:OS at home at your PC battle station, during your lunch break at work on your Mac, and on-the-go on your laptop of either make. And you can play it with anybody else who has a good taste in RPGs, whether they have a PC or a Mac."

Contrasted to my reality, which is this:
"Taken together, these advancements mean I can not play D:OS at home at my Linux battle station, during my lunch break at work on my Linux powerhouse, or on-the-go on my Linux laptop. And I can not play it with anybody else who has a good taste in RPGs, whether they use Linux, PC or Mac."

I hope this isn't foreboding of the attention my platform will get. I know this has been talked about before, but I think a reminder that we exist once in a while is o.k.

Bitter update, but still have hope.

Last edited by mbf; 16/05/14 05:19 PM.
veteran
veteran
Linux compatibility will come after the official release...

So no bitterness needed smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
I already commented on the KS page (and made a mistake there too, but oh well) but it's starting to really annoy me that nowadays PC = Windows, which is just plain wrong and I'd expect better from developers ( see WikiPedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Computer ).

GNU/Linux, Mac OS and Windows are *all* PC platforms in the context of gaming. So saying it's out on PC is rather meaningless unless there also is a mobile or a console version...

That said, I'm eagerly awaiting the Linux release as well smile

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...
M
mbf Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Hassat Hunter,
I am not bitter because I think Linux will not get a version, I know it will. The bitter aspect of the update is that it implies that they achieved a great milestone where everybody can test the game..which is simply not true. I particularly dislike that there is not even a single mention of linux in there, not a mere acknowledgement.

I supported this game because I thought it respected Linux. I know that they will spend more resources on the ohter platforms, and that doesn't bother me that much. But reading this e-mail is definitely not encouraging me to believe the original image that had been painted. I'm not an overly sensitive person, but to some degree it feels unintentionally antagonistic. Instead of getting an e-mail saying "We made the alpha playable on OSX! We are working to get it on Linux as soon as we can!, I get one that basically says "We now have Windows and OSX, which we know everybody runs somewhere! ... ... that's pretty much it, did we forget something?". To clarify, i don't and would never run Windows or OSX on any machine that I want to rely on, particularly for work; I don't run them anywhere frown.

Therefore, instead of being happy with the update, I'm just sitting there wondering if the developers have linux users on even a measly post-itï½® note somewhere. And to be honest, it extends to the game in general...maybe it's the kickstarter thing, but I definitely feel like I got a much shorter stick than I thought I would get.

I'll be ok, I guess...but I _am_ sorta regretting extending my kickstart to get two licenses.

Last edited by mbf; 16/05/14 08:52 PM.
pts Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Don't get the bitterness. They said very early on that linux will be aviable at release (-> not before). If they break that promise, i will be bitter. But being bitter about something they never promised seems strange to me. Adding a "and Linux will be aviable at release"-line to the update seems redundant.

Just have patience for one more month - or start a Virtual Machine with Win/Mac. Also, if you are a linux guy you'll probably know this: "no news is good news" wink

Last edited by pts; 17/05/14 06:56 AM.
Support
Support

The Mac and Linux versions were always behind the Windows version (work on the engine had stopped, and was resumed once the kickstarted was successfully funded), with the intent to provide those version with the Windows release or as soon as possible afterwards.
Finishing the Mac version will do most of the work required for the Linux version, and it is the same group of people doing both.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I second that. Mac and Linux are both based on Unix, so the transition from Mac to Linux should be a small one. And considering 'Mac & PC', yes, that's wrong, and yes, they know that. But it's simpler talk to those dummies who don't.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Lotrotk
I second that. Mac and Linux are both based on Unix, so the transition from Mac to Linux should be a small one. And considering 'Mac & PC', yes, that's wrong, and yes, they know that. But it's simpler talk to those dummies who don't.

No it's not. I don't know anyone with enough braincells to use a PC that isn't aware they're running this thing called "Windows".

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

Support
Support

Apple did a whole "I'm a Mac / I'm a PC" ad campaign a few years ago...

addict
addict
I am sorry a mac IS NOT a PC IMO (or something like "Personnal Computers for dummies", a bit like wds8... but luckily you can downgrade the OS on wds computers...).
This is really funny this rivalry between mac users and windows users considering that windows owes apple shares... they are the 2 sides of the same coin.

Last edited by Chaotica; 19/05/14 01:26 PM.

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Raze

Apple did a whole "I'm a Mac / I'm a PC" ad campaign a few years ago...

Ah that explains something. Leave it to Apple to make people dumber.

Originally Posted by Chaotica
I am sorry a mac IS NOT a PC IMO

Your opinion does not change the facts (there was a WikiPedia article in an earlier post).

Whether something is a PC or not is entirely related to the *hardware*, the Operating System has no relevance. Windows and Mac OS X run on the same hardware, ergo if one runs on PCs then the other does as well.

Of course, Apple tries to prevent or at least discourage you from running OS X on generic Intel-compatible hardware, they wouldn't want people to be able to get a Mac OS X machine for €300 if they can get them to buy their overpriced (imho) stuff instead...

old hand
old hand
Funny how terminology evolves...

[Linked Image]

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
M
mbf Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
I just checked my e-mails and saw that Update #59 had some information about this...although I don't think a lot of what was mentioned here was made clear early on. I guess I had a knee-jerk reaction to that e-mail, and I admit I don't read _every_ update for a variety of reasons. That said, I still don't like the way that e-mail was written...and therefore I still have some reservations regarding the general attitude.

We'll see.

Regarding the tangent, to me it feels like the "America" instead of "United States" argument. It is the misappropriation of a term in both cases. As a sole linux user, the term "PC" becomes a bit impossible to really utilize in any context. I run servers, laptops, workstations, dedicated electronics that all run the same kernel, and a pretty big number of the same underlying tools (which constitutes a large portion of the "OS"). Worse, once you remove yourself from closed systems, it becomes complicated to even define "OS".

Also, the idea that a game that is on mac is easily ported to linux is simply misguided. It can be true that porting to OSX entails a lot of the work needed to port to Linux, but it is not necessarily so.

Last edited by mbf; 20/05/14 02:57 AM.
Support
Support
Originally Posted by mbf
It can be true that porting to OSX entails a lot of the work needed to port to Linux, but it is not necessarily so.

I would assume it is so in this case, though, since Larian has specifically stated that.

Link Copied to Clipboard