#496749 26/05/14 04:07 PM
E
Eldaria Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
Hello,

I been playing for a while, but i'm having difficulties knowing when I can pick something up and when I should not, and it is not because i'm a kleptomaniac. suspicion

The reason is that i'm red-green color blind. Something that I share with 8% of the male population. So I have difficulties to see the difference in the color of the cursor.

So I would request that you have the option of some other type of visual indication when you are about to steal something, like a symbol, or an option to change the color scheme of the cursor.

veteran
veteran
I am not color blind, and can easily see the difference between the two colors now that I know to look for it. However, I also had a difficult time in the beginning even realizing there was a difference between what could be safely taken and what couldn't. I think expecting players who aren't familiar with the details of the mechanic to recognize the shift between gold and orange icons is asking too much. Someone can call that hand-holding if they want.. I call it "why not just use a different icon for theft and cut down on the confusion/complaints".

journeyman
journeyman
I think they can easily put in a that you can select just for color blind people in the options mode or when your selecting the difficulty of the game...

Its quite simple to implement it...

M
addict
addict
M
Eldaria/Gyson, I'm also colorblind, and have posted about the exact same type of issue in the "Beta UI Wishlist" thread - glad to see I'm not alone on this request either. Here's what I've requested in that thread (as I have trouble distinguishing between the yellow and orange icons):

2) The "chest" action icon color for containers that are "not owned" but not yet opened should be changed from yellow to white
This would assist colorblind players, as the "chest/door/hand" action icons for all containers/doors/items would be orange if "owned," and white if "not owned," with the label "[Empty]" added but the icon color unchanged if a container is empty

Like you say, simply changing an assigned icon color or maybe shape would be extremely easy compared to everything else that's already been (and is still being) changed. I just hope the devs realize this is worth fixing.

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
I have actually no idea why Larian changed the color of a "red" cursor for stealing (which was in the very first alpha) to an orange one...

Elwyn #496801 26/05/14 09:18 PM
W
stranger
stranger
W
Originally Posted by Elwyn
I have actually no idea why Larian changed the color of a "red" cursor for stealing (which was in the very first alpha) to an orange one...

Probably because people thought that red meant you couldn't do it, rather than that it was a criminal act. The current cursor colors are a little too close though.

veteran
veteran
When you mouse over an item, besides the hand/chest cursor there's usually a pop-up text box telling you what the item is, like "Barrel" or "Apple". I would be fine with them just placing the term "(Steal)" in that pop-up text (in cases where it will be considered theft).

[Linked Image]

Gyson #496808 26/05/14 09:54 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gyson
When you mouse over an item, besides the hand/chest cursor there's usually a pop-up text box telling you what the item is, like "Barrel" or "Apple". I would be fine with them just placing the term "(Steal)" in that pop-up text (in cases where it will be considered theft).

[Linked Image]

That would work. (I still want the colour to be redder, too.)

Link Copied to Clipboard