Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
jres80 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
I played a 3 hour session last night, my first long play of D:OS. While I enjoyed a lot of the game, I wished the walk/run speed was faster. The slow pace is especially bad when retracing one's steps. For instance, in town a lot of investigation is required for Jake's murder. Yet, just walking to the other side of town takes a significant amount of time as the character very very slowly jogs.

Given how small the first area is, exploring the larger world started to look like a daunting task, not because the game was difficult but just because it will be... so... slow just to walk around.

This shouldn't be a game balance issue. Given that the game kicks into turn based combat mode when an npc turns hostile, changing the walk/run speed is simply a matter of playability.

I hope others will chime in with their thoughts on the subject.

pts Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I excessively used the portals and the pyramid stones to teleport, so it wasn't much of a problem. The only place that was missing a close portal was the town commanders house. But i wouldn't mind an increase in running speed.

Last edited by pts; 06/06/14 05:11 PM.
veteran
veteran
I would prefer that the movement speeds remain the same, on the basis that it used to be faster and looked pretty goofy. I think the current speed is more realistic and pleasing to the eye, adds weight to the character's movements, and the distance covered syncs nicely with the animations to minimize sliding.

addict
addict
faster would be more convenient but more important: an option for "always running".

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
J
jres80 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
I agree that "always run" would be nice, but even the running speed is slow.

veteran
veteran
Perhaps people should be requesting a "sprint" movement mode.. a key toggle or combination of keypress + mouseclick. That way we retain the current realistic running speed that some of use appreciate while also offering a faster movement option for those seeking that.

Having said that.. your general movement speed does increase as you put points into "Speed". We could argue that increasing the default speed faster than it already is will suck some of the usefulness out of that stat. In fact, if you increase the default speed to the point where it starts looking silly (and it's already nearly there), placing points in the "Speed" stat is just going to make it look worse.

old hand
old hand
I use cheat-engine. Have 3 hot-key settings 100%, 175% and 250%. 175 being the main. It looks perfect and allows you to get around. Don't let the name fool you, in this case you just download, install, point to the game's process and check Speedhack and you can manually set a speed or hotkey different speeds.

It also keeps the TB part moving along to...

Last edited by Horrorscope; 06/06/14 09:57 PM.
J
jres80 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Animation speed doesn't need to change, just the distance covered per step.

I like the idea about a "sprint". After all, there are times when we want to walk slowly.

As far as speed stat, my character was a Rogue with 7 speed. Still much too too slow, painfully agonizingly slow while trekking back and forth across town.

I'll look into cheat engine. I'd just rather not have to. Thanks for that info.

Last edited by jres80; 07/06/14 12:26 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by jres80
I'll look into cheat engine. I'd just rather not have to. Thanks for that info.

I hear ya. The tool goes well beyond just this game though and you can also slow down time. So lots of games can beni from user controlled speeds.

A
stranger
stranger
A
You would either have to speed up the animation, or change the whole animation to use a greater stride (which is substantially more work). Otherwise you get characters sliding around.

I do agree though, the movement feels a bit slower than I'd like.

old hand
old hand
I would prefer it to be faster. I prefer gameplay to looks. The way a lot of games handle this is to have a 'toggle' run button ( I think divine divinity had one but been a while since my last paly through). So for those who like to craw because they think it looks pretty can do so while those of us who have a certain lack of patient can move along. Best of both worlds.

Originally Posted by Gyson
I would prefer that the movement speeds remain the same, on the basis that it used to be faster and looked pretty goofy. I think the current speed is more realistic and pleasing to the eye, adds weight to the character's movements, and the distance covered syncs nicely with the animations to minimize sliding.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by meme
I would prefer it to be faster. I prefer gameplay to looks. The way a lot of games handle this is to have a 'toggle' run button ( I think divine divinity had one but been a while since my last paly through). So for those who like to craw because they think it looks pretty can do so while those of us who have a certain lack of patient can move along. Best of both worlds.

In this case walking faster is not an issue of gameplay, it's an issue with players being impatient. Don't take that the wrong way, it just is what it is. There is no gameplay benefit for increasing the speed beyond its current setting.. you'll just get to the place you want to be at sooner rather than later. Else, we could argue there is a "gameplay benefit" to opening the map and double-clicking on a point you've already visited to teleport back there.

The characters are not crawling, they're simply moving at a realistic speed rather than zipping across the landscape at unnatural speeds.

As for "gameplay benefits", there is an actual gameplay benefit at stake here - the fact that the benefits of the "Speed" stat *will be reduced* every time movement speed is increased to satisfy someone's impatience. If moving faster is truly a big deal to people there is a stat available for you to invest points into. If that's not worth doing, then this must not be important enough to change. It would, however, be a big deal to weaken the value of that stat.

I'm sure someone will be able to create a mod to resolve this complaint, such as a potion you can drink which will permanently buff your out-of-combat movement speeds. The speed for the default game should remain as it is, however.

old hand
old hand
In this case walking faster is not an issue of gameplay, it's an issue with players being impatient. Don't take that the wrong way, it just is what it is.

Sounds like one of those "Don't take it personal but I have to shoot you" deals. lol

Here is why I want to move faster. I got a shit load of a backlog and I'm doing my best to get to many of them. I personally don't care if they make a change, I take it into my own control. Many games, esp RPG's have you go back and forth a lot, speeding that up keeps the game hoping and allows me to make it to the end. Many games I play and never finish either. We all have or wants and needs.

F
stranger
stranger
F
it should be increased in towns, bare minimum. or have the option to do so. also, speed affecting walking/running only maked sense

veteran
veteran
They could always make a talent, call it "Hustle" or something, that allows your character to run faster out of combat.

J
jres80 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
It's not impatience. I've just spent 400 hours farming items in Diablo 3, 60 hours grinding jobs in Bravely Default, and countless hours playing other games.

It's an issue with it being too slow and taking too much time to walk even short distances. That makes exploration tedious.

old hand
old hand
I think the talent is silly/stupid/unreasonable. We are not talking about a change in game mechanics (moving faster in combat or similar) we are talking about a gameplay mechanic when exploring or otherwise 'mucking' around town. I can understand how it does not bother you and I can understand if the developers feel it somehow breaks immursion to have movement be a bit faster but the talent idea is just lame IMHO. I do hope the developers provide some option to move faster (whether it be a .cfg manual edit or a toggle run button) but ultimately I guess it is up to them.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by meme
I think the talent is silly/stupid/unreasonable. We are not talking about a change in game mechanics (moving faster in combat or similar) we are talking about a gameplay mechanic when exploring or otherwise 'mucking' around town. I can understand how it does not bother you and I can understand if the developers feel it somehow breaks immursion to have movement be a bit faster but the talent idea is just lame IMHO. I do hope the developers provide some option to move faster (whether it be a .cfg manual edit or a toggle run button) but ultimately I guess it is up to them.

It was just a suggestion. Heck, I complained that specialty arrowheads were hard to come by and suddenly there's a talent that gives characters a low percentage chance of recovering used arrowheads from a battle. Not exactly the solution I was looking for, so I know what you mean.

That aside, as I said earlier I would be really surprised if someone couldn't just use the editor to make a potion that permanently modifies your characters movement speed, at which point you might be able to just drop it on the beach at the starting location, drink it, and play the game at the pace you prefer.

That is just a guess, though.

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
If I recall correctly the earlier, by this I mean really early, builds had higher base movement speed and they consciously toned it down.

Because of this I find it unlikely for them to change this, although I agree that when playing co-op the current speed causes me to wait on the other person a bit too much. I know I don't have to wait but for a story driven game I would not like to come off as an asshole when playing.

Yeah, teleporter pyramids are one rather usable solution for this, as they are for many things but by using them you kind of rob the other player of the experience of seeing the world as they are going through.

A
addict
addict
A
Is it just me or did running speed get an increase in new version?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard