Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Aramintai
Is it just me or did running speed get an increase in new version?

Doesn't seem to be increased. However, there is a trait that increases movement speed.

D
stranger
stranger
D
As this is a TURN BASED COMBAT GAME speed does not affect combat, hence no issue regarding balance...
WHAT it DOES affect is EXPLORATION PLAYABILITY. The FASTER we can RUN and the EASIER it is to RUN the faster we can explore the expansive world.
This game has a few major issues:
1 - RUN is based on the distance the mouse is from the character. The further away the click is the faster, the closer the hold click the closer the movement is to walk. This control element is fine for a joystick, but not click and play!
2 - The RUN mechanism needs to be a TOGGLED ability, e.g. CAP LOCK. When on you RUN, when off you WALK. Having the mouse mechanism be based on distance from character forces me to click a whole assortment of windows on the boundary of the screen by accident. I want to RUN to a location when I click near my character.
3 - For years and years these games have had RUN as an always on thing, and there is a good reason for it. LET us RUN EASIER, LET us RUN more often, LET us RUN to EXPLORE your amazing world. I'd rather spend my time reading through dialogue than just watching the same landscape over and over again go past my feet slowly.
PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!!! MORE PEOPLE WILL PLAY AND ENJOY AND MAINTAIN INTEREST!!

Last edited by Diacri; 21/06/14 05:28 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Diacri
As this is a TURN BASED COMBAT GAME speed does not affect combat, hence no issue regarding balance...
WHAT it DOES affect is EXPLORATION PLAYABILITY. The FASTER we can RUN and the EASIER it is to RUN the faster we can explore the expansive world.

That expansive world is going to be explored over the course of your playthrough anyway, regardless of the movement speed. An argument could be made that a faster speed could result in a world that feels smaller or even missing hidden items/events by racing through an area too quickly.

This game has a few major issues:
1 - RUN is based on the distance the mouse is from the character. The further away the click is the faster, the closer the hold click the closer the movement is to walk. This control element is fine for a joystick, but not click and play!
2 - The RUN mechanism needs to be a TOGGLED ability, e.g. CAP LOCK. When on you RUN, when off you WALK. Having the mouse mechanism be based on distance from character forces me to click a whole assortment of windows on the boundary of the screen by accident. I want to RUN to a location when I click near my character.

I don't have a problem with people having the *additional option* of a walk/run key-toggle, but I like the fact that the speed scales depending on the distance of your mouse. You don't have to click very far from the character to achieve maximum speed, and it's nice to have those transitional speeds below that.

Many games do this with their movement animations, and I actually get annoyed when mouse+keyboard users are limited to walk OR run while gamepad users playing the same game can enjoy those two speeds and everything in between.

I'm really happy with everything about the movement in Divinity : OS, to be honest.

D
stranger
stranger
D
unfortunately you seem to be one of a few very few who do, and I find it extremely difficult to understand your point of view.

If I point at a spot on the floor in RL I bet you could run to that spot no matter how far it was away from you. RUN is mentally a toggle switch anyway and joystick mechanics works vastly different to point and click mechanics. This is an early lesson you learn in basic game design.

Walking slowly for extended periods may make the world seem "bigger" but it does nothing to make it enjoyable. I may as well sit down and watch the digital grass grow.

Cmon man, I seriously can't get your POV

veteran
veteran
unfortunately you seem to be one of a few very few who do, and I find it extremely difficult to understand your point of view.

If we consider that everyone who hasn't come to the forum and complained about in-game movement is fine with the run speed, then most people who own the game are happy with it, and only a handful share your opinion on this matter. This is why neither of us should probably be making assumptions about quantity, because the truth is neither of us knows for certain.

If I point at a spot on the floor in RL I bet you could run to that spot no matter how far it was away from you. RUN is mentally a toggle switch anyway and joystick mechanics works vastly different to point and click mechanics. This is an early lesson you learn in basic game design.

Actually, if we pointed to a spot in the floor a foot away from us, neither of us would be anywhere close to top speed by the time we hit it, especially if we're staring from a casual standing position. You also can not stop on a dime from a run. RL is not a walk/run toggle like you're describing.. there is a natural transition between the two speeds. And the better game animations try to emulate that, not avoid it.

Walking slowly for extended periods may make the world seem "bigger" but it does nothing to make it enjoyable. I may as well sit down and watch the digital grass grow.

Or, you can just run your character around, since the game provides you with that option. You're acting like it's forcing you to walk when it isn't. To run you only have to click outside of this circle:

[Linked Image]

Is that really asking too much? Most of the screen space is available for running.

As far as walking around in-game being enjoyable, believe it or not many players prefer having that option. When engaging them in conversations, I don't like running between NPCs who are ten feet apart, it's unrealistic and it doesn't help my immersion. This is supposed to be a role-playing game, after all.

D
stranger
stranger
D
you do realise that the red circle does take up a lot of screen real estate.

I commit to thoroughly, ideologically and fundamentally disagreeing with you.

I hope the game developers commit to a toggle based run system for the future.

veteran
veteran
you do realise that the red circle does take up a lot of screen real estate.

I commit to thoroughly, ideologically and fundamentally disagreeing with you.

I hope the game developers commit to a toggle based run system for the future.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with an additional optional toggle being there. "Additional" and "optional" being key words.

As far as the as the area in the circle, if it got any smaller it would actually be annoyingly difficult for people to walk around instead of run. The diameter is more than fair to people who prefer running all the time.

I noticed in a different thread you were requesting a function that would allow you to skip having to watch enemy turns. I do feel that between that and your comments here that this may simply be a case of some people being more or less patient (or having differing amounts of time available, or being more or less easily bored) with their gaming than others.

D
stranger
stranger
D
and others are either greatly tedious and/or haven't played a large number of rpg turn based games that have made mechanisms to speed up tediousness while maintaining rpg depth and combat. If you seriously choose to be a person that loves very slow tedious gaming that's fine, but man, you are missing out. Fallout, Baldurs gate, Final Fantasy, Neverwinter Nights, even lufia from the snes ALL HAD THE OPTION TO SPEED/SKIP through enemy attack turns. Have you not played these games?

I'd rather that option be in there, us use it, and you maintain playing a tedious game set to your own pace.

veteran
veteran
I didn't object to having the option to skip turns, only that I suspected there was a common thread between that request and your concerns about movement speeds. Like I said, adding more movement options = good, removing/changing existing movement options = bad. The impression that I got from your initial post was that you were looking for the functionality to be outright changed rather than be enhanced with a wider variety of options to suit individual tastes.

stranger
stranger
Yes please, for the love of all that is good...this game seems incredible, its massive but the movement speed needs increased. Even if its only 2x what it currently is, id be pretty happy.

In no video game is moving like a snail fun.

The game will be great, but this has to be adjusted, period.

You dont want people to feel that they are "padding" the length of this game simply by making you run slower than a tortoise. Every character movement speed in any game needs to scale, and this feels extremely slow for such a massive game.

When you feel like youre running with concrete shoes on, there is a problem.

Last edited by Savatage79; 21/06/14 10:36 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Savatage79
Yes please, for the love of all that is good...this game seems incredible, its massive but the movement speed needs increased. Even if its only 2x what it currently is, id be pretty happy.

In no video game is moving like a snail fun.

The game will be great, but this has to be adjusted, period.

You dont want people to feel that they are "padding" the length of this game simply by making you run slower than a tortoise. Every character movement speed in any game needs to scale, and this feels extremely slow for such a massive game.

When you feel like youre running with concrete shoes on, there is a problem.

Did you pick up the talent that boosts your movement speed? Besides using waypoints, investing points into the Speed stat will also help you to run around faster (both in and out of combat).

When people have not made these investments before complaining about the speed, it feels like they're trying to avoid spending character development points while still gaining the perks that come from them. How much of a gamebreaker can the current speed be if people are unwilling to invest in these options?

It is not "necessary" to race around the game at twice the current speed, it's just desirable (for some people). Likewise, it's not necessary for me to be able to see traps and hidden objects, but if I want to do so I'd better be prepared to invest some points in the Perception stat.

Anyway, I'm sure a speed mod will be one of the first things to become available. I'd prefer if the developer's version of the main campaign remain intact, however.

enthusiast
enthusiast
+1 for this feature,It`s really important.

Experience is a hard master but a good teacher-Proverb of RPG player (c)
apprentice
apprentice
Seconding

G
Gen Offline
stranger
stranger
G
Registered just to say that it needs to be increased.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Yea I'm in favour of a little speed boost.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gen
Registered just to say that it needs to be increased.

Originally Posted by Alphatester
Yea I'm in favour of a little speed boost.

Not going to quote more than these, but hopefully everyone gets the gist. Comments like these need to provide a reason why. Otherwise, it's like saying "Yeah, I'd like more gold". Likewise, "I'm impatient and like to go faster" isn't a good excuse.

I can go on about..

1) How the current speed is fine because it lends itself well to giving the characters and their gear a feeling of weight.
2) How it's just fast enough to avoid animation issues, and increasing it would introduce obvious sliding.
3) How the rate of movement allows players just enough time to take things in as they're traveling around.
4) How the pace helps to prevent players from speeding straight into an encounter unprepared.
5) How the current speed is realistic and thus aids in immersion instead of looking odd and sticking out like a sore thumb.
6) How players should be looking into the trait that increases movement speed, as well as investing points into speed before demanding that faster travel is needed (seriously, if you can't be bothered to do this then going faster must not be all that important to you).
7) How the base movement speed needs to be balanced against the above in-game methods of increasing your movement speed, such that using them doesn't begin to cause all the problems mentioned above.
8) How there are waypoints spread around to facilitate faster travel for those that aren't happy with traveling times.

Is there anything coming from the other side beyond "I get bored with travel" or "my time I spend gaming is precious" or "I'd rather be doing anything other than moving, so let's cut that down as much as possible"?

A
stranger
stranger
A
My answer is that it's my preference.

I'm not going to type an essay on the topic.

I don't see why anyone needs to provide a reason why when it's pretty self-explanatory.

We want the characters to move faster. It's not a difficult concept. Not everyone cares about the stuff you listed. I certainly don't.

Last edited by Alphatester; 24/06/14 01:22 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Alphatester
My answer is that it's my preference.

I'm not going to type an essay on the topic.

I don't see why anyone needs to provide a reason why when it's pretty self-explanatory.

We want the characters to move faster. It's not a difficult concept. Not everyone cares about the stuff you listed. I certainly don't.

Well, then let's assume every person who has purchased this game but hasn't requested to run faster prefers the speed the way it is now. That seems like a pretty safe bet, considering the speed used to be faster but feedback led to it being reduced. Which would make you the vocal minority, and one that isn't giving a reason beyond "because". wink

G
Gen Offline
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by Gyson

Not going to quote more than these, but hopefully everyone gets the gist. Comments like these need to provide a reason why. Otherwise, it's like saying "Yeah, I'd like more gold". Likewise, "I'm impatient and like to go faster" isn't a good excuse.

Because hoofing it, at a slow pace, through content one has seen multiple times is tedious. The pros and cons are quite obvious. I picked up the game a day or so ago and my first thought was how arduous movement is. Very much reminds me of the game "Inquisitor" in terms of movement, which isn't a good thing. You seem to have some sort of bone to pick, thinly veiled in winky faces, so I'll leave it at that. Combat could also use some speed improvements (sitting there for 5 or 6 seconds while you wait for the computer to do something), but otherwise, seems like a fun game.

For what it's worth, you would be lucky to get 1% of the player base posting to the forum. I came here to see if there was a fix for the game locking up during combat in certain areas, and then chose to register for this thread. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have even bothered coming here.

Last edited by Gen; 24/06/14 02:52 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gen
Because hoofing it, at a slow pace, through content one has seen multiple times is tedious. The pros and cons are quite obvious. I picked up the game a day or so ago and my first thought was how arduous movement is.

I suspect that will be true for players making repeated trips through the same areas no matter what the running speed is set at. It will never be fast enough until people can click on a point on the map and appear there; someone will always want to get where they want to be faster than they can. At some point the developers settle on a speed (preferably one that doesn't look comical), and the speed we have currently happens to be it.

I don't have a "bone to pick" with anyone, but I do have a thing against changing a run speed that has been working well for others, and all for folks who can't offer a better reason beyond "it's what I want" - people who are insisting this needs to change yet probably haven't even tried picking up the movement talent or investing points in the Speed attribute. You can make your movement faster.. the game has that option for you.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard