Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by badcomputer
Romance is completely worthless if you choose the dialogue of more than one protagonist. For the sake of immersion(not feeling like I'm playing the game by myself but with a companion that may disagree or agree with some of my choices on their own), the game should have an option to make one of the protagonist AI controlled. I don't know what they were thinking. Majority of people aren't going to play co-op.

The finished game does have an option to have AI pick the dialog choices for the second protagonist.

veteran
veteran
Romance is completely worthless if you choose the dialogue of more than one protagonist. For the sake of immersion(not feeling like I'm playing the game by myself but with a companion that may disagree or agree with some of my choices on their own), the game should have an option to make one of the protagonist AI controlled. I don't know what they were thinking. Majority of people aren't going to play co-op.

The game DOES have an option to make a protagonist AI controlled, for now there's the random option but at launch there will be more options to designate a character type to a protagonist that the AI will play out so what are you blabbering on about?

veteran
veteran

I don't know how the majority will choose to play, but you do have the option of having one of the two main character's personalities controlled by an AI if you decide to play single-player.

addict
addict
if I remember right there is an option to have an AI for one of the character but it is only for the dialogs. From a personnal point of view, I prefer controlling both of them when I play solo

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
addict
addict
Don't you know it's always easier to have a relationship with yourself? wink

Spoken as true bachelor...so take it as you will

Last edited by Jito463; 22/06/14 06:22 PM.
addict
addict
well except if you're a schizophrenic ^^

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by terra
Robcat:
why is it important to you to know why this question is important for other people??? it is, after all, just a simple question of explaining the conflicting info we have here.

It's not important. I'm just interested in learning more about how other people play RPGs, and it seems like a relevant question to ask to explore the topic at hand. It seems like there's an interesting conversation to be had here about metagaming (at least).

Originally Posted by LeBurns

Well, I hope that helps you see the difference.

Cheers smile I had assumed that much, I was more interested in people's different playstyles and why they may prefer foreknowledge of potential relationship outcomes or not.

For example, I wouldn't particularly want to know whether a game has romance options (if it does) as I feel like it would detract from the spontaneity and sense of discovery of my first playthrough, whether I decide to pursue those options or not. I like to go into games hopeful of meeting interesting characters and knowing that a character's story contains a romance arc removes some of the sense of wonder and immersion I experience in a new gameworld - before I become familiar with the game's setting, characters and mechanics. The more I know the more it feels like a game, if you get me, and I like to make as much of that magical sense of wonder and discovery in playing an RPG for the first time as possible. I haven't so much as touched early access wink

But that is just my preference. On subsequent playthroughs I might plan to play out a certain story for my character (eg create a backstory and character development throughout the game based upon metaknowledge of what happens in the game and how that would make sense for my character.

So I'm naturally interested to hear how other people approach games and why anyone would even want to have the question raised by this thread answered. I have lots of questions I could ask but tried to ask about importance to people as I thought that was a fairly open-ended question inviting discussion.

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that" - Leunig
enthusiast
enthusiast
The real issue here is as usual with Larian one of communication, when they say it isn't a feature in a live-stream 1 week before release, people are obviously gonna be a bit worried. Especially since it is a feature on their feature list.... and was a feature during KS (Not to mention after the PoE thing about romance options people were getting quite paranoid)

Currently I don't care what any character in D:OS has to say, because I know in the end, they are just opportunistic choices with no consequences. So I RP the choices, but I don't care about them in any way. Romance options add that factor, in BG2 you could get into the situation where you romance Jaheira that puts you in mortal combat against her. And don't tell me that wouldn't make you think a long hard while as to what you would do in that particular situation.

journeyman
journeyman
Iteresting...

" The main characters relationship is not specifically a love story. You can certainly take it in that direction if you wish, though. Their relationship is defined by two different axes: Affection and Affinity. Affection is how much they like each other, Affinity is how well they agree with each other on moral dilemmas. So they might hate each other, but work well. You aren't going to accidentally end up as your friend's gay lover, it'll be a conscious choice if you go for that. "

(Matt Barton and Swen Vincke video chat)

This seems like a pretty clear acknowledgment of romance.

Last edited by Edvin; 22/06/14 07:55 PM.
T
terra Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Edvin:

well thats some new info, thanks for sharing it. do you know when they said what you posted above???

was it before the whole latest video stream that brought up this discussion or after???

journeyman
journeyman
Ehm...
Update #9 Apr 8, 2013
laugh

Last edited by Edvin; 22/06/14 08:55 PM.
T
terra Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
2013...well that is quite some time ago...damn...

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Edvin
Iteresting...

" The main characters relationship is not specifically a love story. You can certainly take it in that direction if you wish, though. Their relationship is defined by two different axes: Affection and Affinity. Affection is how much they like each other, Affinity is how well they agree with each other on moral dilemmas. So they might hate each other, but work well. You aren't going to accidentally end up as your friend's gay lover, it'll be a conscious choice if you go for that. "

(Matt Barton and Swen Vincke video chat)

This seems like a pretty clear acknowledgment of romance.

The fact people could, in theory, create both protagonists with the same gender does complicate the romance content too although if you can't take a hint from the game's box that's one's own fault. Maybe they were afraid of ending up in awkward land if family members played coop and faced the romance discussion(s)? Again, that is peoples' own fault if they can't take a hint from the bloody box and load screen and every other piece of information about the game.....hell, it's in the bloody title...."Original Sin". If they are so concerned about making it family friendly maybe they should put a switch in the character creation portion that asks "Are you afraid of mature content?" and then if people answered yes, maybe all dialogue and every bit of exposed skin(including faces and so on) everywhere could be censored or something.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by terra
2013...well that is quite some time ago...damn...
Heh, I was thinking the same thing. I just tried looking it up..no dice, I'm sure it's there though.

feel free to link it... here is how
"site"

do that w/out the quotes wink

Click to reveal..
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon

The fact people could, in theory, create both protagonists with the same gender does complicate the romance content too although if you can't take a hint from the game's box that's one's own fault. Maybe they were afraid of ending up in awkward land if family members played coop and faced the romance discussion(s)? Again, that is peoples' own fault if they can't take a hint from the bloody box and load screen and every other piece of information about the game.....hell, it's in the bloody title...."Original Sin".

So you connect the term "Original Sin" with romance? Interesting...

Last edited by Jito463; 22/06/14 09:29 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Jito463

The fact people could, in theory, create both protagonists with the same gender does complicate the romance content too although if you can't take a hint from the game's box that's one's own fault. Maybe they were afraid of ending up in awkward land if family members played coop and faced the romance discussion(s)? Again, that is peoples' own fault if they can't take a hint from the bloody box and load screen and every other piece of information about the game.....hell, it's in the bloody title...."Original Sin".

Well if your raised in a religious household some will use original sin as the concept to talk to youth about sex....that's how'd it be explained away. Silly as it seems. hug

Last edited by daft73; 22/06/14 09:35 PM.

Click to reveal..
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Jito463

Not completely but the cultural association is there in most western cultures....especially when coupled with this:
[Linked Image]

That's called take a bloody hint and go pout somewhere else.

addict
addict
Pout? Who's pouting? I found it curious that you associated the two terms. You seem to be rather cranky in your posting. Whether it's just today, or you're always this way, I'm not sure I want to know.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by daft73

Well if your raised catholic...that's how'd it be explained away. Silly as it seems. hug

No, in all religions that talk about Christ in some form or another. The "Original Sin" story is largely unchanged just like the entire bible is between the fifty trillion groups of bible followers.

journeyman
journeyman
I'm aware of that so I altered my og post. I was initially using personal experience to explain, but decided better. ouch

Last edited by daft73; 22/06/14 09:40 PM.

Click to reveal..
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard