Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
journeyman
journeyman
A little newer information:

" Certain in-game events (like levelling up, healing one another, and landing a killing blow in-battle) will occasionally trigger co-op dialogues in which your heroes can explore the trust, friendship, and affinity they, at your discretion, may share.

As the game progresses, the timbre of these dialogues will change depending on how your heroes respond to one another. They may become enemies, business associates, friends, or even lovers depending on how you develop them. "

Update #55 Feb 14, 2014

Last edited by Edvin; 22/06/14 09:41 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Ok, I was under the impression that Original Sin refers to the fall from god's grace of humanity when adam was tempted by the devil to rebel and taste the forbidden fruit. This is associated with the development of shame in nudity but I don't see how romance has anything to do with this at all.

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that" - Leunig
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Robcat
Ok, I was under the impression that Original Sin refers to the fall from god's grace of humanity when adam was tempted by the devil to rebel and taste the forbidden fruit. This is associated with the development of shame in nudity but I don't see how romance has anything to do with this at all.

Well....Adam, just like Eve, knew that they weren't supposed to touch the apples but they still decided they'd do it together. Adam did an incredibly stupid thing because his partner asked him to and he didn't argue very much against doing it.....when do people do incredibly dumb things for others? Hint: it happens everywhere every single day.

And after they both faced high punishment together they went on to make lots of babies.....soooo....yeah, romance is the key element in dumb decision number one.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 22/06/14 09:50 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
....but I believe this topic has been...

[Linked Image]

Maybe if need be can restart Chat here, more appropriate.

Last edited by daft73; 22/06/14 09:51 PM.

Click to reveal..
enthusiast
enthusiast
I dunno, I thought it was highly relevant to the topic - discussing whether romance is in the game and what people's expectations of it are. That the meaning of the very title of the game is being claimed to be related to this is pretty significant.

Last edited by Robcat; 22/06/14 10:00 PM.

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that" - Leunig
veteran
veteran
I dunno, I thought it was phighly relevant to the topic - discussing whether romance is in the game and what people's expectations of it are. That the meaning of the very title of the game is being claimed to be related to this is pretty significant.

I agree....

"Original Sin" and a couple of humans that certainly look like a couple walking hand in hand on the game's box and every commercial sure checks the cultural checkbox.

Also note the background of the game's main art(also box art, the one poster seen everywhere) looks like a battlefield...looks like chaos and pain and pain and suffering there in their wake.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well I'm glad we agree about the relevance but I disagree that it's actually connected to romance wink You're saying that some religious families talk about sex education in terms of the concept of Original Sin. How does that work?

journeyman
journeyman
I dunno, I thought it was highly relevant to the topic - discussing whether romance is in the game and what people's expectations of it are. That the meaning of the very title of the game is being claimed to be related to this is pretty significant.

No sweat off my back. Just trying to keep it civil, religion tends to a little personal for some.

But yes I agree there is relevance. I'd love to hear a Devs take on this. oops , not holding my breath though. cheer

Click to reveal..
enthusiast
enthusiast
Oh we're all good, I have no interest in disputing religious views, just want to establish how romance is perceived to be connected here. It's pretty damn interesting... what the meaning of the title of the game will turn out to be in the game. Very interesting title. Much more so than the latest Dragon Extreme 4: The Epicness or whatever.

T
terra Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
well edvin you are pretty much the only one bringing factual info here, so thanks for sharing it.

anyway... as we can see by what was posted before and even more now with some of the more "recent" info that was brought here too, we can say that that last video stream does have some VERY conflicting info about what they said BEFORE and what they said NOW.

waiting to see how this will turn out...

journeyman
journeyman
Well these information can be interpreted in different ways.

Much've heard that the main characters can be lovers.
A couple of times we've heard that there will be no romance.

Lovers without romance?
Perhaps the main heroes can be fuck buddies laugh

veteran
veteran
Well I'm glad we agree about the relevance but I disagree that it's actually connected to romance wink You're saying that some religious families talk about sex education in terms of the concept of Original Sin. How does that work?

I said nothing of sex, I said romance or romantic interest and that is undeniably intertwined in the cultural and religious views of humanity's original sin. Nothing to do with sex ed(which I view more like molestation ed because...well...children and sex shouldn't mix) because if books required age ratings bibles would be Ao.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well for what it's worth Terra I think there'll be something for romance fans in the game, though expectations will vary.

'Not really, it's not a Bioware type of game' =/= No romance of any form

Personally I'd be very surprised if there wasn't something there though it may not be what people personally expect. I imagine we aren't going to get any new info unless the devs respond, except they're totally flat out now at the absolute crunchiest time in development. Did you try twitter?

I would have hoped Swen would have been a bit more mindful of romance fans when responding to that question in the stream and so clarified his comment further, but I'm more than willing to cut him some slack considering all he has on his plate and what it must be like to answer a gazillion question during a livestream where he's trying to showcase the game and editor as well. The Larian team is probably pretty damn sleep deprived right now and can't be paying attention to everything.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Edvin
Well these information can be interpreted in different ways.

Much've heard that the main characters can be lovers.
A couple of times we've heard that there will be no romance.

Lovers without romance?
Perhaps the main heroes can be fuck buddies laugh

Nonono, can't be....BioWare has dibs on fuck buddy territory because you can fuck with another character in one game and it the next that character turn on your FemShep around all like "So here's my wife and we're having a baby." and this is like a couple months later and everyone's acting all like it's totally normal since they only fucked. I only did one playthrough with a female character and I was all like "So where's the 'Shoot this m********* in the head renegade interrupt', I though this game was about options." But yeah that's BioWare romance classic right there because saying your character can have lots of fuck buddies in the game is not good PR.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Oops sorry Darth, I got your posts confused with Daft's who said, "Well if your raised in a religious household some will use original sin as the concept to talk to youth about sex....that's how'd it be explained away. Silly as it seems." And I wondered how that went.

I'm still not seeing how romance is intertwined in the cultural/religious views of humanity's Original Sin. Though this could be due to my conception of what romance is. The idea that Adam picked the fruit because of his feelings for Eve seems a pretty tenuous connection and hang on... just got it... so after Original Sin they started having sex and begetting everyone. Ok.

Interesting. Well the plot of the game could be something quite unrelated to that part of it but I'd agree that the cultural association is definitely there. The title does raise the question.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
Nonono, can't be....BioWare has dibs on fuck buddy territory because you can fuck with another character in one game and it the next that character turn on your FemShep around all like "So here's my wife and we're having a baby." and this is like a couple months later and everyone's acting all like it's totally normal since they only fucked. I only did one playthrough with a female character and I was all like "So where's the 'Shoot this m********* in the head renegade interrupt', I though this game was about options." But yeah that's BioWare romance classic right there because saying your character can have lots of fuck buddies in the game is not good PR.

Well, romance in Dragon age 2 and whole Mass Effect trilogy was totally crap. (Dragon Age 1 was not so bad).

But remember, Baldur's Gate 2 is also Bioware game.

Last edited by Edvin; 22/06/14 11:21 PM.
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Just as a thought... Maybe the statements are not contradictory at all.

When Swen mentioned during the last stream that DOS is not a bioware game, maybe he meant that you have no romance options with other NPC's - but you can still have some kind of a relationship going on between your character 1 and your character 2.

veteran
veteran

Well, romance in Dragon age 2 and whole Mass Effect trilogy was totally crap. (Dragon Age 1 was not so bad).

But remember, Baldur's Gate 2 is also Bioware game.

Nah, been too long since they stopped making quality games and sold their souls to EA....seven years by my count and 14 years since BG2 so they don't get credit for it anymore. Only the name is left of the BioWare that made BG2. Hell most of the Dragon Age Origins was done and about to be released when they sold to EA who turned around and placed major delays on DAO so that it could launch on consoles too which weren't part of BioWare's original plans.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Elwyn
Just as a thought... Maybe the statements are not contradictory at all.

When Swen mentioned during the last stream that DOS is not a bioware game, maybe he meant that you have no romance options with other NPC's - but you can still have some kind of a relationship going on between your character 1 and your character 2.

Yes, that is possible.
Or it also could be an allusion, that we will not see any sex cut-scenes, as it does bioware.

The possibilities are simply too many.

addict
addict

Yes, that is possible.
Or it also could be an allusion, that we will not see any sex cut-scenes, as it does bioware.

The possibilities are simply too many.

I prefer "Fade to Black" to be honest. Worked fine in BG2, FO1&2, FONV and KotOR1&2, etc. ME1 had a real scene that was tasteful but it scared the crap out of them because of media reaction. The following underwear grinding in DAO, DA2 and ME2&3 were enough to make me vomit.

If the connection that can lead to romance or just a 'Friends with Benefits' option just goes to a Fade to Black, I'm all fine with that.

Last edited by LeBurns; 23/06/14 01:24 AM.
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard