Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I don't get it, Larian.

This game is my most anticipated RPG this year. It really is. But now I'm reading that you're saying that the game won't actually be complete come June 30?

Why are you even releasing it? I read and re-read that thread and just don't understand how you are comfortable releasing it without one of the features you advertised when you're not under any deadline.

Help me understand, please. Someone.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Don't get me wrong, what I've played of the beta is brilliant, it just seems silly to release a game when you don't have a publisher breathing down your neck BEFORE you finish the game as intended.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Aww screw it. I don't care that much.

You guys are doing some really awesome things and I don't want to be mad. Please delete this thread, moderators.

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
It is not like the game will be broken or incomplete on Monday. It will be a full game release, completely playable from the beginning to the end.

What Larian wants to do is to to further support the game along the road. Yes, they planned on adding 4 companions to the game, but the planning did not quite work out for several reasons - life happens! What the Larians do is they say: We are giving you a finished product with two companions (and many more henchmen). You will be able to play and to enjoy the game. However, we are planning on further supporting the game and will release future content so that with all the mods the game will be in a constant dynamic development. We also will give you additional companions and AI personalities later on.

All the features which were advertised are in on Monday - maybe not as extensive as Larians (or some of us) wished they would be, but they are all in.

Last edited by Elwyn; 28/06/14 03:04 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Take this final weekend to meet with friends family ect... the game will be done, all this worry over other content.. silence, anything added in the next few months will just add life to the game. I have plenty of games I have owned that eventually had additions, changes and what-have-you, never did I once feel bad.
rpg003 rpg008 rpg007

Click to reveal..
M
stranger
stranger
M
Most companies release what they have, and sell you the rest as DLC later.

veteran
veteran
I believe they are releasing it now because they could not push the release date or their budget any further.

Last edited by Stabbey; 28/06/14 04:32 PM. Reason: never mind
Originally Posted by Merlanni
Most companies release what they have, and sell you the rest as DLC later.

And before that, a game was released with whatever the company had finished and the unfinished stuff was either never known or only hinted at with loose plot threads or references that didn't go anywhere.

I'll take patching it in later over either of those.

It's a couple of minor niggles in comparison to the huge adventure in store for us. When they patch it in, I'll view it as free DLC smile

I have decided to wait a few months to play myself (probably 3 or 4 since most of Larian will be on vacation throughout July) maybe even wait till after I beat DA III in Oct.

Still lots of bugs in the Beta area to sort out which means lots of bugs are going to be reported and fixed throughout the next few months for the rest of the game anyway. Heck, if i'm waiting till Oct, might as wait till any official expansions are out and do my first full playthrough with all possible content.

I pledged and all I got was this lousy awesome game!
apprentice
apprentice
1. Play the game Day One, for a first run. Finish the game.
2. Wait the enhanced edition / divine extension (meanwhile others great games will be released). Re-play the game enhanced edition (in hardcore mode, with mods, with your dog, with a gamepad, with only one hand... as you wish).
3. ???
4. Profit.

Last edited by Drym'; 28/06/14 04:50 PM.
old hand
old hand
I blame Elwyn for this thread. smile

DevilDog was carrying a very good conversation with himself and in the end (post 3) saw the light of day.

smile
smile

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Horrorscope
I blame Elwyn for this thread. smile

DevilDog was carrying a very good conversation with himself and in the end (post 3) saw the light of day.

smile
smile

Admittedly, I started typing my reply when there was just one opening post in this thread hehe I probably should have deleted my post after I saw the other two - but then I had already put a few minutes and so much effort into typing it that I was really loathe to do it hehe

Edit: But indeed, I take all the blame for keeping this thread alive hehe

Last edited by Elwyn; 28/06/14 06:07 PM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
lol does anyone remember when games were actually released as finished products. Now these companies think leaving things out and putting them as dlc is ok when it is really just a money grab. Also they think its ok to just release an unfinished game and patch it. I miss the old way

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by macman
lol does anyone remember when games were actually released as finished products. Now these companies think leaving things out and putting them as dlc is ok when it is really just a money grab. Also they think its ok to just release an unfinished game and patch it. I miss the old way

I don't think it's that much different. Temple of Elemental Evil was sold on disc day 1 with tons of game breaking/save corrupting bugs. That's just one example, there are hundreds.

A code never can be perfect, because it's made bay men. The only question is when they decide it can be released.

I think Larian made here a little error: they want to give us lots and lots and lots and lots and a little bit more. It is really nice of them, but this makes the launch a bit messy. I don't blame them, I already love the game and am patient.

birthdayjump

We are proud to report that we finished our DOS2 localization project (Hungarian). :'-)
https://warg8.jimdofree.com/
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Endre
A code never can be perfect, because it's made bay men. The only question is when they decide it can be released.

I think Larian made here a little error: they want to give us lots and lots and lots and lots and a little bit more. It is really nice of them, but this makes the launch a bit messy. I don't blame them, I already love the game and am patient.

birthdayjump

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that" - Leunig
Support
Support
lol does anyone remember when games were actually released as finished products.

No, I don't. When was this magical time when games had no bugs? Even on consoles (where there is only a single configuration to test) games were not always bug free.

Now these companies think leaving things out and putting them as dlc is ok when it is really just a money grab.

The only DLC for the game is an upgrade from the standard version to CE, not game content, and was requested by many people.

stranger
stranger
I'm a kickstarter backer but avoided the beta because I wanted to play the "complete/final" game.

So should I go ahead and play now or wait for update/patches to play the game?

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by AstroCat; 30/06/14 11:37 PM.

i7-6700K@4.5GHz/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080sc/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro x2/Samsung 950 Pro/Win10Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5-TrackClip Pro
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by DevildogFF
Aww screw it. I don't care that much.

You guys are doing some really awesome things and I don't want to be mad. Please delete this thread, moderators.

You can delete it yourself. Just edit and delete.

Link Copied to Clipboard