Print Thread
#502770 30/06/14 02:04 AM
S
spblue Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I paid $65 for the kickstarter version. Not only is the game only $30 on steam (meaning I actually paid more than twice retail), but I didn't get any key yet. It says "Not available yet" on the Larian Vault page.

I'm glad to support Larian and everything, but tomorrow is a national holiday in Canada and I was fully expecting to be able to play tonight, after waiting for so long. People who bought the game retail did not only get it much cheaper, but they can also play it earlier. Does this seem wrong to anyone else? I'm a bit mad at how this was managed.

D
stranger
stranger
D
You didn't pay for the game (that was a bonus) you paid to help get the game developed.. that's what kickstarter is all about.
A 2 second search of the forums would have told you all you needed to know.

enthusiast
enthusiast
You could get the digital download of the game on kickstarter for $28 ($25 early bird), which is cheaper than purchasing a digital copy now. $65 dollars was for the cost of a physical box with printed manual (or the dragon commander pack) + soundtrack and developer's documents/videos.

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that" - Leunig
S
spblue Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I'm well aware what kickstarter is about, I've backed over 30 projects. This is the first time however that I didn't get a key before retail purchasers.

enthusiast
enthusiast
From Larian's Twitter "Keys, release, goodies etc... all coming during the day, but the day is long smile Expecting everything to be done within the next 24 hours!"

Problem?

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that" - Leunig
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by spblue
I'm well aware what kickstarter is about, I've backed over 30 projects. This is the first time however that I didn't get a key before retail purchasers.

Are you serious? Backers were the first ones who got access to the alpha version. And we will be able to play the final version at exactly the same time as retail purchasers. They never said that the game would be available at midnight on release date.

I don't know where you take your weird sense of entitlement from. It's maybe just your personal disappointent that you can't play the game before 10am in the morning in Canada. Think about it again... wink

Last edited by LordCrash; 30/06/14 03:05 AM.

WOOS
stranger
stranger
Just curious, do I need to do anything special to get my key (like registering on Larian Vault) or will it just show up in an email?

P
stranger
stranger
P
You gotta register on the Larian Vault and choose between a Steam key or a GOG version.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by spblue
I paid $65 for the kickstarter version. Not only is the game only $30 on steam (meaning I actually paid more than twice retail), but I didn't get any key yet. It says "Not available yet" on the Larian Vault page.

I'm glad to support Larian and everything, but tomorrow is a national holiday in Canada and I was fully expecting to be able to play tonight, after waiting for so long. People who bought the game retail did not only get it much cheaper, but they can also play it earlier. Does this seem wrong to anyone else? I'm a bit mad at how this was managed.

You were never going to be able to play tonight (at least not with a game that was going to last very long) because save game compatibility doesn't begin until after they update for tomorrow's launch.

In the last video update Swen mentioned Kickstarter keys would be given out the day of launch.

S
spblue Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I thought it would be available at midnight (most steam releases are). And it's not a sense of entitlement to want a key for a product I paid for. As long as I get the key before official release I'm good. If it's late then yeah, I'm gonna be pissed. :P

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes, AFAIK Larian are planning on giving backers their keys in time for release. Why wouldn't they? Of course something can always go wrong (some technical hitch), though I really wouldn't be keen to conclude that Larian have slighted you if something does. I can understand feeling disappointed, but I believe any anger would be unjustified unless it was the result of gross incompetence or malice. And really, how likely is that?

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
Originally Posted by Robcat
You could get the digital download of the game on kickstarter for $28 ($25 early bird), which is cheaper than purchasing a digital copy now.
Duo pack was $40. It's just a steal lol

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah, I could hardly believe how generous Larian were, but then I can hardly believe this is retailing now for only $40. Price doesn't necessarily indicate quality, that's for sure.

S
spblue Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Sure in the grand scheme of things getting a game late isn't the end of the world. But I've been waiting for this game for years, and was planning on spending my holiday day playing it. Like I said, now that I know it wasn't a midnight release I understand and I'm not mad, but it was definitely enough for me to complain on the forum.

Support
Support

It is currently 7:45AM in Belgium, with 11 hours and 15 minutes until the time Steam usually releases new games.

enthusiast
enthusiast
No worries spblue, that's understandable smile I reckon a lot of eager backers are eyeing off their emails for that update.

Edit - Lol, which they shouldn't bother doing yet because the day has barely started in Belgium...

Last edited by Robcat; 30/06/14 05:52 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard