Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#504481 01/07/14 01:43 PM
D
daveyd Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
I completely avoided playing the game during Beta / Alpha and just started playing the game. I see that when your character goes into sneak mode he / she turns into a bush with legs. Really Larian? Please tell me this is just a placeholder until the proper sneaking animations are put in a future update. I wouldn't mind a bit of humor if it's clever but this is just far too silly for my tastes. Sure, it's not a huge deal, but I think it's a blight on an otherwise beautiful looking game.

Last edited by daveyd; 01/07/14 02:33 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Crazy talk. If Larian ever changes that animation I will mourn for weeks.

E
apprentice
apprentice
E
I think the sneaking animation is absolute genius!

Larian always made games where you could have a good laugh with so many things, and those sneak animations are part of the game. They even improved over the beta, because in the beta you were always a bush.

My brother and me had a good laugh at the stone and the barrel smile

addict
addict
Well there is laughing at a game ... and then there is being SLAMMED straight through the fourth wall. In an RPG where immersion is supposed to take place, I am not fond of the current sneak animation. I would much prefer just seeing my guys crouched and sneaking.

old hand
old hand
Blasphemy! grin

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
E
apprentice
apprentice
E
For me, trying to blend in with your surroundings while sneaking (aka as joking as it is making yourself like a rock in a rocky terrain, grabbing some underbush and disguising as a bush) is way more immersive than crouching and pretending someone else does not see me.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Eldiora
For me, trying to blend in with your surroundings while sneaking (aka as joking as it is making yourself like a rock in a rocky terrain, grabbing some underbush and disguising as a bush) is way more immersive than crouching and pretending someone else does not see me.

So your guy changing into a giant rock inside a building is more immersive? Ok...

E
apprentice
apprentice
E
I do not know, but my character went under a barrel inside the barracks to hide. Might be I had luck and have not seen a rock in a building yet.

stranger
stranger
I like the sneak animation. I like that Larian Studios can poke fun at themselves and add a little silliness to the game without going full retard like Warcraft and MMORPGs did with pimped up fantasy motorbikes and rocket ships.

Your Rose Colored Spectacles of Nostalgia appear to be cracked. Maybe it's time to look forward to something.
Support
Support

The animation depends on the surface you are on.

stranger
stranger
odds are there will be a mod that lets you be super serious sneak mode, and perhaps removes all the other light hearted silly stuff too.

D
daveyd Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Originally Posted by LeBurns
Well there is laughing at a game ... and then there is being SLAMMED straight through the fourth wall. In an RPG where immersion is supposed to take place, I am not fond of the current sneak animation. I would much prefer just seeing my guys crouched and sneaking.

My thoughts exactly.

Originally Posted by Raze

The animation depends on the surface you are on.

That doesn't make it any less silly. Sure, one can argue sneaking / stealth is absurd in a lot of RPGs that allow you to walk right by a guard in broad daylight but I don't think the solution to this lack of plausibility is to make a joke out of it.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
I absolutely love it. When I first saw my character turn into a bush and tip toe around I died laughing.

stranger
stranger
I really like the sneaking. In fact, I find just going invisible or crouching in open rooms far less immersive.

journeyman
journeyman
so ur-OP saying that crouching is a proper way to sneak around lol, just lol, Larian is the first who actually made sneaking believable

Last edited by Fanest; 01/07/14 02:43 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Humor in games, not taking everything too seriously, is great.

But a regular action like sneaking really should be left out of this. It's in fact silly and to me an immersion breaker as well.
Of course it's difficult to visualize a "sneaking process" authentically. Nobody expects that. That's why most games have placeholders like just walking slowly with a different animation. But visualizing this process as a bush/rock/barrell with legs imho is a inappropriate way fleshing out the process.
And guys....do you really think that someone disguising as a bush/rock/barrell with legs sticking out has a better chance of not being noticed than someone just trying to walk silently and trying not to be seen at all?

I would be very grateful for an option to turn it off.

I'm really surprised that this hasn't been heavily critizized during alpha/beta stage, but appareantly tastes are different again. wink

Last edited by Morrandir; 01/07/14 02:45 PM.
D
daveyd Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Fanest
so ur-OP saying that crouching is a proper way to sneak around lol, just lol, Larian is the first who actually made sneaking believable

A way to make sneaking believable would be to take an NPC's line of sight as well as the amount of light in an area into account, so that it is simply impossible to sneak past someone in a brightly lit area. A lot of work of course, but this isn't believable, it's a joke... and not a particularly clever one.

Originally Posted by Madkat124
I absolutely love it. When I first saw my character turn into a bush and tip toe around I died laughing.

Seriously? I don't get it. I think it's the sort of thing that could maybe be funny once in a cutscene or something, but to have it be used every time I want a character to sneak just makes me roll my eyes. This isn't a cartoon, I was hoping for an immersive CRPG. Definitely looking forward to someone modding this silliness out of the game if Larian doesn't do it themselves.

Last edited by daveyd; 01/07/14 02:49 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Exactly. If it was in some cutscene or a unique quests or something I'd be absolutely happy with it.

Next thing after walking bushes would be your characters painting tunnel entrances on walls to make the Roadrunner monsters smash its head against it in full speed...

Last edited by Morrandir; 01/07/14 02:47 PM.
veteran
veteran
brilliant LOTR reference.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by daveyd
I completely avoided playing the game during Beta / Alpha and just started playing the game. I see that when your character goes into sneak mode he / she turns into a bush with legs. Really Larian? Please tell me this is just a placeholder until the proper sneaking animations are put in a future update. I wouldn't mind a bit of humor if it's clever but this is just far too silly for my tastes. Sure, it's not a huge deal, but I think it's a blight on an otherwise beautiful looking game.

First Larian game I take it?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard