Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by daveyd
Originally Posted by Tanist

It surprises you there are people who like it? Really? People like Monty Python, does that surprise you as well?

I guess I have different expectations for this game genre. If I watch a comedy film (especially something like MP) I expect some silliness. I generally expect CRPGs to maintain a certain level of seriousness so I can lose myself in the fantasy world, instead of constantly being reminded that this is a game by slapstick humor, pop culture references, or 4th wall breaking. Of course it's a personal preference and as I've said it doesn't completely ruin the game for me, but I eagerly await a mod to make it a little less cartoonish.

I dunno, I've seen a ton of pop culture references in many CRPGs from Final Fantasy games to World of Warcraft to Diablo games, all over the place in every particular part of the vast genre. CRPG is a very vague term though, it means "video game RPG" and is used to distinguish between pen and paper and video games. It refers to all RPGs of all styles. If you're referring specifically to top down, isometric RPGs with more tactical combat, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 were loaded with silly humor.

I've seen no breaking of the fourth wall, which means a character directly addressing the audience. Perhaps you don't know what these terms you are using mean? The fourth wall doesn't really apply to video games anyway.

Last edited by silkforcalde; 01/07/14 07:40 PM.
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Phenomen
Last time I created this topic mad fanboys just destroyed me with curses.
I really hope some mod will fix it soon. Totally immersion breaking and not fun.

Then... they hung you from a tree and set you on fire!!!

Cool Story!

Though unfortunately such a ruse doesn't work as people can easily click on your name and find your stealth thread where no such attacks or curses took place. In fact, I don't think people gave you personally much thought at all. The bulk of the thread was of people commenting on how they liked the animation as well as one of the devs talking about the fact they would be expanding on the bush idea into other things.

You go ahead and play the victim though. I mean, the only reason people disagree with you is because they hate you right? /boggle

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
Originally Posted by Chairchucker
Crazy talk. If Larian ever changes that animation I will mourn for weeks.

Crazy talk. If old school games are based on immature ideas, then I'll mourn for weeks.

Haven't been playing games very long have we?

I can list numerous silly mentions in games going back to the early pen and paper games and such were quite common among many of the 1980's cRPGs and definitely into the 90's and even 2000's.

Let the weeping commence!!

Seriously though, this game is one among many coming out soon of similar styles. While I think you will still see the occasional reference as such in the other games, they may be a bit more slight (though don't expect extreme seriousness from Wasteland either).

Last edited by Tanist; 01/07/14 07:49 PM.
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Morrandir
Originally Posted by daveyd

I tried Div. Divinity for a few hours but wasn't really crazy about the combat (tactical turn-based is my preferred system) and playing in a low res was kind of a turn off as well. I understand that they have put humor in their previous games but have heard from others who enjoyed them that the humor wasn't quite so over the top.

It is.

For instance, in Divine Divinity, there is a part where you run into a conversation between two skeletons who fall apart after their argument of why they don't fall apart goes on for a bit.

In Beyond Divinity, there is a part where you click on an outhouse and someone says in a very strained groaning sound "Occuuuuupiiiiiied".

There are tons of corny and silly references all over in those games. It is a part of their charm.
I've liked this stuff as well. The difference is that these are unique events, whereas the sneaking thing is regular thing to do.

For me that's a huge difference, no matter how frequent these unique events are. I consider them as a kinds of easter eggs. The presentation of regular actions on the other hand should help me immerse, should help to keep up the illusion of experiencing a consistent world.

I understand your point, but I see it as splitting hairs, being far too picky in what you expect the game to cater to. Lucky that they are releasing an editor as I am sure someone will come up with a standard stealth animation or the like eventually.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Phenomen
Last time I created this topic mad fanboys just destroyed me with curses.
I really hope some mod will fix it soon. Totally immersion breaking and not fun.

Then... they hung you from a tree and set you on fire!!!

Cool Story!

Though unfortunately such a ruse doesn't work as people can easily click on your name and find your stealth thread where no such attacks or curses took place. In fact, I don't think people gave you personally much thought at all. The bulk of the thread was of people commenting on how they liked the animation as well as one of the devs talking about the fact they would be expanding on the bush idea into other things.

You go ahead and play the victim though. I mean, the only reason people disagree with you is because they hate you right? /boggle

"!The tone/tune makes the music", as people usually say (at least here in Germany). I haven't followed this discussion you mention, but I could imagine responses so subtlky worded that they were in fact attacking him, but without any detectable "attack" because of the subtle wording. I think you have never read true dioplomats speak or write; those are the masters of subtle attacks through words !

The other way round was him being so sensitive that he was far more affected by the public's words than the public could sense; because - usually - the public consists of not sensitive people at all. I've seen real concreteheads in forums.

Anyway, those lovers of that ... sneak animation had won in the end.

For an old school game I had rather expected TRUE sneak animation - but it seems that those with a rather cheesy hhumour had womn in the end - yes, I don't like this animation either, even although I acknowledge its message.

Try to imagine the fanmous Thief games with the protagonist using the sneak animation from :DOS !

And if you don't know these games - well, then : Gotcha ! wink

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
C
stranger
stranger
C
The issue there is that Thief is a game with a very serious tone. Divinity is not. They have very different tones for their humour, and Divinity doesn't take itself that seriously.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer

"!The tone/tune makes the music", as people usually say (at least here in Germany). I haven't followed this discussion you mention, but I could imagine responses so subtlky worded that they were in fact attacking him, but without any detectable "attack" because of the subtle wording. I think you have never read true dioplomats speak or write; those are the masters of subtle attacks through words !

The other way round was him being so sensitive that he was far more affected by the public's words than the public could sense; because - usually - the public consists of not sensitive people at all. I've seen real concreteheads in forums.

Anyway, those lovers of that ... sneak animation had won in the end.

For an old school game I had rather expected TRUE sneak animation - but it seems that those with a rather cheesy hhumour had womn in the end - yes, I don't like this animation either, even although I acknowledge its message.

Try to imagine the fanmous Thief games with the protagonist using the sneak animation from :DOS !

And if you don't know these games - well, then : Gotcha ! wink

Or you could just go read the thread by which we were discussing and then there wouldn't be any such speculation. /shrug

S
stranger
stranger
S
Thief is a very poor example, a much better example would be Metal Gear Solid which does have pretty wild humor and does have a very similar stealth animation where you hide under a box and scoot along.

C
stranger
stranger
C
MGS takes itself seriously too. It has some humourous moments, but for the most part, it takes its own story in high regard (even if it does have some really weird stuff in it. Thanks Hideo.)

When you can get an ability in this to talk to animals who say how insulting it is that being the provider of the household is said to be 'bringing home the bacon' and they find it insulting because they are a pig, I don't expect gritty, serious sneaking mechanics. I'd honestly be surprised if we weren't hiding in moving bushes or inside fake rocks.

stranger
stranger
I'm not sure what people here are arguing about.

Me myself i don't like it. What fun/jokes are immersion breaking to any game is objective.

Some appreciate this kind of fun others not.

Now i'm hoping for a mod to change this because i don't think Larian will change the animation at this point of time.

If the game doesnt take itself seriously you cant enjoy the story and take it seriously.

Imagine the first dragon you met in Skyrim which was supposed to make you go Wowww whats the thing im gonna die. Was rainbow coloured and fluffy?

It's not something that much too far implemented into the game like potrait and armour design (boob plates cough cough)

Last edited by My name is Shar; 01/07/14 08:16 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by My name is Shar
I'm not sure what people here are arguing about.

Me myself i don't like it. What fun/jokes are immersion breaking to any game is objective.

Some appreciate this kind of fun others not.

Now i'm hoping for a mod to change this because i don't think Larian will change the animation at this point of time.

If the game doesnt take itself seriously you cant enjoy the story and take it seriously.

Imagine the first dragon you met in Skyrim which was supposed to make you go Wowww whats the thing im gonna die. Was rainbow coloured and fluffy?

It's not something that much too far implemented into the game like potrait and armour design (boob plates cough cough)

Imagine in Skyrim if you turned into a barrel when you sneaked. Yeah that wouldn't go well. Not that Skyrim's system isn't all but broken when you get to high levels in Sneaking.

apprentice
apprentice
The way it works right now is how it should stay. I like it and would be disappointed if they changed it. People who do not like it I think need to lighten up.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Again, it's like I have to keep saying it, but Skyrim takes itself seriously too. If you're looking for a serious RPG, there are TONS of them out there. Most of them have been named already. We don't always need more and more. Final Fantasy, Skyrim, Baldur's Gate, KotOR... There are so many out there that fit the serious archetype. Games like Divinity are rare, and I appreciate the light-hearted humour of the majority of it. No doubt someone will mod it to be more gritty and serious to take out the fun stuff, but personally, I love the fact it's more humourous.

apprentice
apprentice
I also do not buy into this argument that it in any way detracts from the story, I don't recall anyone ever screaming about how Solid Snake hiding in a cardboard box 'ruined' the story of Metal Gear. On another note Divinity was never about being 100% serious in all it's aspects, there has always been a lot of humour in the games so it would seem if expected something else then Larian are not the blame for another persons incompetence regarding knowing what Larian's games are like especially the Divinity series. You shouldn't go into a cake shop and order a chocolate cake then moan that they never gave you a strawberry cake. From what I have seen so far in the game it does as Divinity series has always done in my opinion.

Last edited by Dragoonlordz; 01/07/14 08:49 PM.
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I like it. As some have said, it kinda fits Larians/Divinities overall tone.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by El Zoido

That's what i feared mostly about this game. The intensity / sense of humour.

I'm not ashamed to say it and it may spark some hate here but that's life

The only game of Larian i ever liked was Divine Divinity and i think it took itself quite seriously.

I love this game don't get me wrong but... we all have our preferences.

apprentice
apprentice
NO!

At first I was like, What the Hell??
But then - Brilliant!!!

Don't change anything
and the animations change depending on environment, rock, bush, barrel...

Brilliant.
And funny. smile

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by El Zoido

That's what i feared mostly about this game. The intensity / sense of humour.

I'm not ashamed to say it and it may spark some hate here but that's life

The only game of Larian i ever liked was Divine Divinity and i think it took itself quite seriously.

I love this game don't get me wrong but... we all have our preferences.

You are not remembering well then.divine divinity was only slightly more serious than this.but I m sure a mod will pop out in the next few days that changes the animations so everyone will be happy

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T

You sure about that? Divine Divinity is filled with flippant humor.

stranger
stranger

You sure about that? Divine Divinity is filled with flippant humor.

Ah sorry. I didn't come across as i should. It's more like axel said.

It was a bit more serious than this game and i like both because of the isometric style and other stuff.

Dungeon Keeper is humorous too but i love it.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard