Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
stranger
stranger
M
I think when you play the game immedietely its clear larian likes pranks as much as stories, even the beginning the guards you meet are drunk, you can talk to rats and crabs, the wizard likes pretending to be a cat, some guy is trying to drug a woman orc into his. You have skeletons talking about how weird it is to be bone. People making jokes about Cecil's "Might Staff". The bull is a fortune teller. And this is just the start!

Personally I love this kind of pacing, when its dark and serious its really serious and when its funny its really funny. I also think the bush thing is more realistic than a guy shitting and pretending he can't be seen, especially if the bush is outside of line of site, but a guy squatting is a lot more obvious to me. The only question in my mind is where does the bush, rock come from?

I think a great mod would be one where you can use IN GAME OBJECTS as stealth objects, there are loads of empty boxes, barrels, etc. It would make a lot more sense to be able to use them for stealth.

Apart from D&D I can't think of a great RPG that doesn't have some ridiculous hilarious elements.

I mean in Ultima, the creator is actually IN THE GAME as LORD BRITISH, uh chocobos, cross dressing, blitz ball? in Final Fantasy, note the best final fantasy have humorous bits in them, 12, 13, 8, 9 are notably more serious. I'm sure chrono trigger piss taked a few things. Fall Out, the jokes are everywhere. Zelda? Secret of Mana? Especially D:OS is a harkback to the era of SNES/DOS RPGs, and a lot of those games took the piss out of themselves. Reminds me of those point and click sorcerer games, and a bunch of other stuff I don't remember anymore. King's quest?

It's funny because it kind of nails on the table top dungeon master improvisation thing which can often be very funny. I mean this is the kind of magic that's vanished from RPGs long ago.

Games need humour to break off the seriousness, that's why the best game have funny/relaxed bits I think. I think modern games can't do that because the super realistic graphics means anything too stupid would really look out of place, the isometric presentation of D:OS allows it to get away with a lot of stupid thing,

again we should bear in mind D:OS is meant to be a homage to the old CRPGs in many more ways than one + this larian guy seem to really like the prankish stuff and is just his style and makes D:OS more original than other games old and new.

Last edited by Major Legend; 01/07/14 11:50 PM.
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Major Legend

Apart from D&D I can't think of a great RPG that doesn't have some ridiculous hilarious elements.

Castle Greyhawk Module (WG7)

[Linked Image]

D&D had them too.

stranger
stranger
Yea not a major fan. Would rather see them shade out or something like turn shadowy. But it is what it is, the game is pretty amazing and if silly sneaking is one of the few negatives im ok with it.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Savatage79
Yea not a major fan. Would rather see them shade out or something like turn shadowy. But it is what it is, the game is pretty amazing and if silly sneaking is one of the few negatives im ok with it.

Larian has big plans for the engine and supporting the community, so expect many features that will support a more dark and serious style of game for modders/3rd party.

J
jog Offline
stranger
stranger
J
I do enjoy humor in games, but Monty Python style silliness on a character-defining standard-action is too much.

In an adventure game disguising as a rock or snowman and then tiptoeing past a guard would be a funny way to solve a puzzle and at the same time highlight the flaws of the common crpg stealth mechanics. Doing it a second and third time, or even more often maybe with some tounge-in-cheek comment about the actual silliness, is something I totally expect from Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption but not from an rpg where 1/3 of the character builds will constantly turn into a rock/bush/snowman intending to do some very serious business.

E
stranger
stranger
E
I suppose its all about personnal taste, but I personnaly love it.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
I love going around and "blending in", even if it is not necessary. Love the "sneak" rocks, bushes and so forth. genius !!! more pranks, less serious laugh

A
stranger
stranger
A
I couldnt disagree more, I absolutely love it. Reminds me of the old loony tunes cartoons I watched as a grub.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by LeBurns
Originally Posted by Eldiora
For me, trying to blend in with your surroundings while sneaking (aka as joking as it is making yourself like a rock in a rocky terrain, grabbing some underbush and disguising as a bush) is way more immersive than crouching and pretending someone else does not see me.

So your guy changing into a giant rock inside a building is more immersive? Ok...

Your characters can pull off all these amazing feats, kill monsters that dont exist in real life, and cast spells, and yet disguising yourself as a bush or rock breaks your immersion.... O.o

O
stranger
stranger
O
Rather silly imho, and detracts from the immersion for those of us who actually want to play pretend and not just play a game.

To each their own. I'll be the first to pay for a mod to make it go away. I'd rather just a grey-ed out crouching tiptoe animation or no sneaking at all.

But I respect those who like it. Just like I respected the hell out of Xxlolarthasninjaxx when I met him. Then I walked away.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Please don't listen to OP.
Larian keep up the good work.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by daveyd

I'm just honestly surprised there are so many people here who like it. I expected indifference, but not people loving it. I guess I must be getting old as over-the-top humor doesn't appeal to me anymore. Until it's modded guess I'll just be avoiding sneaking as much as possible.

I don't think it has anything to do with age. I'm on the wrong side of thirty-five and I actually appreciate the light-hearted approach of Divinity. If I wanted full immersion I would still be playing Skyrim with the wife, house and beautiful sunset. I'm just surprised that people don't have enough self discipline to enjoy a game for what it is and not bitch about the tiniest discrepancies. I guess I'm just getting too old to put up with the tantrums of children.

Your Rose Colored Spectacles of Nostalgia appear to be cracked. Maybe it's time to look forward to something.
S
stranger
stranger
S
fock u

W
journeyman
journeyman
W
I'm afraid that, officially, you have no sense of fun.

Even I, after I have come to terms with my severe disappointment in how this KS eventually came together, can certainly admit that the sneaking animations are excellent, very imaginative, and best of all it's original, I've never seen an attempt to deal with it this way in any game.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Tanist
Originally Posted by Major Legend

Castle Greyhawk Module (WG7)

[Linked Image]

D&D had them too.

That is arguably one of the best published dungeons ever produced at TSR. Coming equal first place with T1-4 in my personal favourites. The Ruins of Greyhawk is also good for the more serious delve.

Last edited by Flaggerbastard; 02/07/14 10:45 PM.

Your Rose Colored Spectacles of Nostalgia appear to be cracked. Maybe it's time to look forward to something.
W
journeyman
journeyman
W
Originally Posted by Oathed
Rather silly imho, and detracts from the immersion for those of us who actually want to play pretend and not just play a game.

To each their own. I'll be the first to pay for a mod to make it go away. I'd rather just a grey-ed out crouching tiptoe animation or no sneaking at all.

But I respect those who like it. Just like I respected the hell out of Xxlolarthasninjaxx when I met him. Then I walked away.

Then let's leave it this way. Instead of asking Larian to tone down their imagination... you can all just wait to have your 'offending' materials removed by the community.

But I for one wouldn't dream of getting rid of it, and would feel if were it to be taken out, that a large portion of it's charm and appeal would be removed at the same time.

The animation is very much indicative of the flavour the game is trying to relate and I feel that it's a breath of fresh air.

I'm just going to through my two cents in and say that I like the sneak animation (especially the barrel).

CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
O
stranger
stranger
O
Originally Posted by wibble

Then let's leave it this way. Instead of asking Larian to tone down their imagination... you can all just wait to have your 'offending' materials removed by the community.

But I for one wouldn't dream of getting rid of it, and would feel if were it to be taken out, that a large portion of it's charm and appeal would be removed at the same time.

The animation is very much indicative of the flavour the game is trying to relate and I feel that it's a breath of fresh air.

You're probably the majority. The devs are allowed to have a little fun, it's their baby, after all. I don't think any halfway reasonable person would seriously expect Larian to change this just b/c I and a few others in the minority didn't like it.

So yeah, modders, eventually. In the meantime we can all enjoy whatever it is about the game that we individually on our own, enjoy. Just don't yell at people "how can you not possibly enjoy the things that I enjoy??" Some people enjoy rocks moving with legs sticking out. Others don't. Some people make up backstories about their characters and name them "Aleandra Joniferus II". For others it's "Lolball McSticklebuttdick." Oh well.

The devs did a good job. The game is a success and it'll make money, which is what matters. Eventually I'll have my WH40K Chaos Gate remake and it'll be glorious and awesome and immersive and there'll be a joke in there that I'll enjoy and other people won't.

Til then, cheers, have a beer and let's kill some monsters.

Last edited by Oathed; 02/07/14 10:54 PM.
W
journeyman
journeyman
W
Originally Posted by wibble

You're probably the majority. The devs are allowed to have a little fun, it's their baby, after all. I don't think any halfway reasonable person would seriously expect Larian to change this just b/c I and a few others in the minority didn't like it.

So yeah, modders, eventually. In the meantime we can all enjoy whatever it is about the game that we individually on our own, enjoy. Just don't yell at people "how can you not possibly enjoy the things that I enjoy??" Some people enjoy rocks moving with legs sticking out. Others don't. Some people make up backstories about their characters and name them "Aleandra Joniferus II". For others it's "Lolball McSticklebuttdick." Oh well.

The devs did a good job. The game is a success and it'll make money, which is what matters. Eventually I'll have my WH40K Chaos Gate remake and it'll be glorious and awesome and immersive and there'll be a joke in there that I'll enjoy and other people won't.

Til then, cheers, have a beer and let's kill some monsters.

Agreed. Chin Chin. wink

addict
addict
Eventually I'll have my WH40K Chaos Gate remake and it'll be glorious and awesome and immersive and there'll be a joke in there that I'll enjoy and other people won't.

I never even considered that. I would absolutely *LOVE* that. I still have both it, and Rites of War. This must happen now!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard