Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#505818 02/07/14 05:32 PM
Lar_q Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
We started producing a series of tutorials @ Larian now that our developers have a bit more time and we'll start pumping them out soon.

stranger
stranger
Good to hear, the modding for this game is what should keep it alive for years smile It's refreshing to see a company besides Bethesda actually give a crap about modding tools

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Originally Posted by Lar_q
We started producing a series of tutorials @ Larian now that our developers have a bit more time and we'll start pumping them out soon.

I'm really glad you guys are communicating this stuff to us and keeping us updated. I was on here yesterday thinking about how nice it would be to have a dedicated forum for modders, and I wake up to find this new forum created.

There's a number of issues I experienced with the editor that prevented me from doing things I wanted to do or going into certain menus. I'm hoping these are either bugs that will be fixed, or the tutorials will show me how to correctly use the tool.

veteran
veteran
I also wonder, are you going to release tool updates or functionalities? such as for viewing assets and editing skills?

apprentice
apprentice

I think that it would be helpful too, to write a short explanation of how mods work as in, where the game looks first, how to override original files, how mods can avoid breaking the main game after updates, etc. I think a lot of people are interested in editing existing stuff (tweaking spells, adding characters, etc.) and this would help a lot.

Other than that, great work!

T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
I also wonder, are you going to release tool updates or functionalities? such as for viewing assets and editing skills?

Limited editing of skills is already possible - just unpack the main.pak file and muck around to your heart's content in the xlsms.

Personally what I'm really interested in is actually plopping down items and the like.

D
dot Offline
journeyman
journeyman
D
I vote for a good old listing of all available script commands - if you want it to be fancy, you can also include examples showing syntax. hehe
But I would be happy just to know what code I can put where (e.g. dialogues, what strings are meant and what number does a certain skill have? I don't really like using pointers, but I guess here its ok.)

stranger
stranger
Yay! I'm not going to have the time to make any mods until the fall semester, but I'm looking forward to being able to jump into it when I get the time.

This might be early to ask, but: will the wiki or website that you guys use be editable by modders? That way, as we make mods, we can document what we find, explain best practices, and write our own tutorials.

Looking forward to it very much!

addict
addict
yay good to know! cause this thing confuses me so much o.o

old hand
old hand
Why are some people attempting to mod at the moment anyway? I'll only dabble in its toolset once I'm done with the game! :P

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Demonic
Why are some people attempting to mod at the moment anyway? I'll only dabble in its toolset once I'm done with the game! :P

Apparently some have no interest in playing the game unless they could first mod it to their liking. I'm enjoying the game as is; everyone's different, though. I've seen more than a few "this game is unplayable unless X is changed" comments already, as strange as it seems.

Looking forward to more tutorials, though!

veteran
veteran
I personally find datamining and analysis very nice :P sometimes even more than the actual game

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Thanks! I'd really like to get into modding so looking forward to the tutorials

@Gyson

I agree, I don't understand all the "unplayable" complains which are essentially "I don't like this and my opinion on how this game should be is all that matters"

journeyman
journeyman

A tutorial on how to make simple data value changes (Henchmen stats, skills, abilities, etc) would be really appreciated, as right now it seems to be what people want to do most.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
A tutorial on how the Character creation "Fountain" works would be something I'm interested in. I edited the Character Creation and even deleted all the things I thought were related to the character creator fountain but it still works when I load up the game. I'm certain I'm modifying the level because I'm moving one of the statues around in the background.

I'm trying to figure out how to modify it so I can see about adding a character creator that supports creation of 4 characters, or even something like making a character that uses one of the NPC models as a race.

If anyone's figured out what's responsible for generating those menus you see in the Character Creation level I'd love to hear it.

Last edited by Foodchain; 03/07/14 06:55 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard