Next Thread
Print Thread
S
SagaDC Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
Not that I'm complaining, but the random items you can find in containers at the End of Time are scaled to Level 20 characters. I mean, you can't use them, but you can still find items that are worth upwards of 5-10,000 gold value when you're as low as Level 2.

Just as an example, I rummaged through the desk in the End of Time Observatory and found a Level 20 magical dagger that's worth 3600 gold. Then I poked through some vases in the main hall, and found a mundane Level 20 helmet worth 2000, followed by a set of Level 20 plate armor worth 6000. Once I got access to the Hall of Heroes (at Level 3), I cracked open the one chest hidden in the corner, and found Mysterious Dye (4000 value) and a Level 20 shield (2400 value).

...and then I turned all of those items into gold with my Golden Grail, and used them to buy all the skill books and crafting ingredients I wanted. wink

So, like I said, I'm not really complaining - but this is probably something that's not working as intended. smile

G
stranger
stranger
G
Sounds good to me. I sort of resent having to buy skill books. In other RPGs you pick skills when you level up normally.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by SagaDC
...and then I turned all of those items into gold with my Golden Grail,[...]

Wait, I have the golden grail too. I was wondering what purpose it had... I can turn objects into gold without selling them?

That's awesome! laugh

addict
addict
No, the grail makes items more valuable, it doesn't automatically convert them to gold you can buy with. You still have to find a vendor to sell to.

E
apprentice
apprentice
E
Does it make them more valuable by simply having it in the inventory, or do I have to do something with it?

veteran
veteran
I never found any random item at the End of Time...

WOOS
S
SagaDC Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
Eldiora, you can only turn "wearable" items into gold (ie, armor and accessories) and it randomly increases their value. I've had some items almost double in value, while others only seem to get a 10% increase. Still, more money is always welcome. You still have to sell them or barter them off to vendors, but in cases where you're trying to buy particularly pricy items (such as Skill Books) that's rarely a problem.

And Lord Crash - sorry man, it's a matter of luck (or patience if you want to do some savescumming) with those containers. Personally, I tend to load up on Lucky Charm as quickly as possible, and always open containers with my lucky character. I'm only Level 4 at the moment, but I'm already at Rank 4 with that skill - and it tends to give me lucky finds in something like one out of every three random containers I look in. smile

Last edited by SagaDC; 03/07/14 12:23 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by LordCrash
I never found any random item at the End of Time...

Me neither, other than some plates, flasks, that kind of junk.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by SagaDC
Personally, I tend to load up on Lucky Charm as quickly as possible, and always open containers with my lucky character. I'm only Level 4 at the moment, but I'm already at Rank 4 with that skill - and it tends to give me lucky finds in something like one out of every three random containers I look in. smile

Wait, so you give yourself Lucky Charm and boost your luck, in order to get the best items you can, and then you wonder why you get items like you do? One of us is confused, and right now, I'm not sure which one.

S
SagaDC Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
The chance to have an item drop has nothing to do with the quality of the drop given. If I search through random containers in the starting zones, I get random items that are scaled to Level 0-3 or so. In the End of Time, an area accessible as early as Level 2, the random items ALWAYS scale to Level 20. That's what I'm commenting on.

So yes, you are the one who was confused. smile

EDIT - Honestly, as I mentioned above, it's not even that big a deal. It's not like a player can actually use (most of) the Level 20 items they find, so it's just vendor fodder unless they want to hold onto it for the next 15+ levels. Still, it provides a potential venue for a MASSIVE boost to your gold, early on in the game. Personally, I went from having about 3,000 gold to having 15k gold in a matter of twenty minutes - and that's counting the time it took me to talk to the two or three NPCs that were hanging around. :P

Last edited by SagaDC; 03/07/14 01:11 PM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
There are also people who complain that they can't get enough money without resorting to stealing and that it should be fixed.

Since this isn't a MMO, I don't see how this is really problematic

veteran
veteran
I'm usually not one that is very keen on super-balancing everything, but yeah, I see this as something that should be fixed...
A large influx of gold at the start is problematic, even for a SP-game.

S
SagaDC Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
I mean, overall there are a fairly small number of containers. There's a desk in the Observatory, four or five vases out in the main hall, and one chest in the Hall of Heroes. To unlock any of the areas beyond that (and their respective containers), you have to do a lot more work so the gulf between your current level and the level of the loot found isn't nearly so drastic.

As people like Lord Crash and LeBurns have mentioned, its an issue that many people might not even notice, because nothing drops for them. In my particular case, because I tend to front-load Lucky Charm, I found items in roughly half of those containers - and they were all fairly valuable items. It certainly didn't amount to an infinite amount of money, but it was still enough to turn my head. I mean, when you're sneaking about town stealing bundles of clothes (10gp), old boots (100gp), and human teeth (14gp), you can't help but be surprised when you crack open a desk in another area and find something like Mysterious Dye (4,000gp).

I'll freely admit, though, I do tend to be the "steal everything that isn't nailed down, then bring a prybar back for the rest" sort of player. Especially in a game like this, where even the most mundane of items can be taken. ;P

Last edited by SagaDC; 03/07/14 02:06 PM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Lol I wanted to do a challenge run thru where you are not allowed to steal but my friend was more like you and adamantly against it,

Anyways I think it's just you benefitting from your high luck. In my run thrus with 1 or 0 lucky charm I consistently got nothing from those containers. Don't front load your luck and you can enjoy the benefits of finding nothing like me laugh

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
I'm with Lord Crash and LeBurns, I've had nothing drop in The End of Time. That includes all my time in beta. Maybe in your playthrough you just got super lucky with what spawned in the containers.

Of all the containers in the End of Time the only thing I came out with in my latest playthrough was an orange. Woot.

EDIT: I missed a few replies and running a luck build will likely get your results.

Last edited by JoeBart; 03/07/14 02:22 PM.
S
SagaDC Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
Just a quick update on this, it appears that the "normal" drops are low-level items (Level 1 equivalent, with very occasional fluke items). "Lucky Find" items, though, are always scaled to Level 16-20. Makes it almost a complete non-issue, I suppose. I guess I really did just get inordinately lucky in my first visit. :P

Since I recently started up a new party, I tried save-scumming the vases in the main hub a few times to see what I'd get (Lucky Charm +3):

First Attempt: Empty x6, 313 Gold (normal drop), Level 16 Death Punch Scroll (Lucky Find)

Second Attempt: Empty x7, Patty Cake I and Secret of the Scrolls IV (Normal)

Third Attempt: Empty x6, Smokescreen Arrow (Lucky Find), Sharp Claw and Whetstone (Normal)

Fourth Attempt: Empty x4, Cloth Scraps (Normal), Embellished Golden Grail (Lucky Find - 3040 gold), He Who Smelt It V (Normal), Mug of Beer (Normal)

Fifth Attempt: Empty x5, Level 20 Leather Boots (Lucky Find - 800 gold), Empty Bottle (Normal), Pizza (Normal)

Last Attempt: Empty x4, 650 Gold (Normal), Level 19 Metal Helmet (Lucky Find - 1710 gold), Cheese (Normal), Water Essence and Explosive Arrow (Normal)

veteran
veteran
It's actually pretty cool that luck really has an impact. Maybe I should invest a few points in that ability as well... wink

WOOS
S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Grey Mouser
Sounds good to me. I sort of resent having to buy skill books. In other RPGs you pick skills when you level up normally.

That depends entirely on the "other RPGs." Try Risen, in that game you can be limited in the skills you want for your character based on your faction choice, and you do have to buy your skills from vendors. Furthermore the game never explains this to you, you have to figure it out. It's just one method of doing it. In a game like Path of Exile, skills are given based on the gems you slot into your gear. In a game like the first Diablo, skills are given by scrolls that you can loot or purchase.

There are plenty of RPGs where you have to buy your skills. Seems silly to resent the game for that.

veteran
veteran
You had to buy spells in Baldurs Gate 2 as well. It was pretty much the same system as in D:OS. Buy a spell and learn it. Then it's written in your spell book and you can use it as much as the system allows it.

That's actually the "traditional" way of CRPG... wink

Last edited by LordCrash; 04/07/14 04:09 AM.

WOOS
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by LordCrash
It's actually pretty cool that luck really has an impact. Maybe I should invest a few points in that ability as well... wink

As far as its impact on loot goes, Lucky Find gives you a chance of getting an extra piece of loot when going through containers. That's it.

Usually that loot is scaled to your level (or the level of the map). For some reason in that particular map it is scaling very high (which, to me, seems like a bug or an unintended consequence of how the map was flagged).

Link Copied to Clipboard