apprentice
apprentice

Ke se marei gola
Dark_Ansem #506792 03/07/14 01:28 PM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Wow that is some fancy math there. I'm gonna contact the author and ask him to be my accountant...

I don't think revenue is that easy to calculate, considering there were sales, different editions, etc. and I'm leery of internet rules of thumb with no source to substantiate the number

Dark_Ansem #506809 03/07/14 01:39 PM
G
stranger
stranger
G
I'm quite curious about that license Swen tried to get. On one hand, I like the Divinity setting and its characters, on the other hand, Larian could make the exact same games and sell twice the numbers just because of a known IP.

Dark_Ansem #506856 03/07/14 02:14 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I ask because they said that support is "conditional" to sales, nothing more :P not trying to mind business which is definitely not my own.

Dark_Ansem #506868 03/07/14 02:25 PM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
We'll according to the article Larian should be supporting this game for the next decade :p

Dark_Ansem #506870 03/07/14 02:28 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
lolololololol

Dark_Ansem #506876 03/07/14 02:34 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I was realy curious about this situation aswell.

I'm realy hopeful that larian is well rewarded finantially for this game.

For the people who have been following larian since the first divinity (10 years ago?), we know what this game means to swen and the more veteran people in larian. For the people who don't know, this game was a deam come true that swen was hopeing to do for a long long time, and never had the chance to do properly due to a number of factors outside of larian responsability, like publisher problems, financial problems inside the company, etc.

I know that a lot of people that were only recently brought to the Larian work have no idea the history behind this game, but for our "older people" it means a lot and quite honestly even I feel the pride on seeing this game come to fruition and be this good looking and well received as i feel i've made my share on the game by backing it up, spreading the word, being in the forums, helping on steam, etc.

Hopefuly this game will make enough funding to make an expansion with no aditional banking debt so that larian can breathe a little bit and have some cashflow for the next project.

All the best for you swen and rest of the team. Even tough you might not realize it, but a lot of PC veterans are hoping for your sucess and helping anytime we can.

Last edited by KnightPT; 03/07/14 02:36 PM.
Dark_Ansem #506882 03/07/14 02:37 PM
old hand
old hand
I wouldn't object to another game closer to DKS (though perhaps a better engine). Also it woudln't surprise me if they spend a little time flushing out DC which probably didn't get as much love as they planned due to D:OS.

Dark_Ansem #506917 03/07/14 02:59 PM
veteran
veteran
It's hard not to wonder how much more they would have made had they not given so many copies of the game away. Two copies with every physical CE, Digital CE, and Deluxe Duo Pack sold.. all potentially lost revenue as they were sold for cheaper than the cost of two games (particularly if we assume people would have purchased the CE's anyway).

Dark_Ansem #506934 03/07/14 03:09 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
spreading the game at a conveniente price, on the other hand, can increase sales. perhaps they did it on purpose.

Gyson #506943 03/07/14 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Gyson
It's hard not to wonder how much more they would have made had they not given so many copies of the game away. Two copies with every physical CE, Digital CE, and Deluxe Duo Pack sold.. all potentially lost revenue as they were sold for cheaper than the cost of two games
That assumes many would have been willing to pay for multiple copies in the first place, as opposed to buying one and installing multiple times (legally in most cases if on your systems).

One feature I would like to see is the ability to switch between top-down view (better for party management and combat) and first/third person view (like DKS, better for exploration) since the limited view range of D:OS is a mite annoying. The Neverwinter Nights series seems to have been the only game to offer that flexibility so far.

Dark_Ansem #506945 03/07/14 03:16 PM
veteran
veteran
This is a fabulous start with not even one review from a major site/magazin out yet!

160,000 copies just by word of mouth marketing? Wow, other studios would kill for these numbers I guess. smile

WOOS
Dark_Ansem #506973 03/07/14 03:30 PM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I dislike the term lost revenue based on what if scenarios. To me that's revenue you never had so you can't lose it. Just because you potentially could have doesn't equal you for sure would have.

Anyways I think Larian wants this game to proliferate by friends telling friends to play with them rather than relying on expensive adverts, hence why the double keys in the CE. This opens doors for more to be made down the road thru expansions and DLCs which take less resources to develop

LordCrash #506978 03/07/14 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by LordCrash
This is a fabulous start with not even one review from a major site/magazin out yet!

160,000 copies just by word of mouth marketing? Wow, other studios would kill for these numbers I guess. smile

And now the bigger ones will need some more time, they release the tests and if they are good enough, Larian will get another huge amount of orders. hehe
I only hope that this messy start will not ruin the chances.

We are proud to report that we finished our DOS2 localization project (Hungarian). :'-)
https://warg8.jimdofree.com/
Dark_Ansem #506989 03/07/14 03:37 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
are those real facts?

Dark_Ansem #507019 03/07/14 03:48 PM
stranger
stranger
I hope for a big success!

FUL IR
LordCrash #507030 03/07/14 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by LordCrash

That's a really good point. This game had neither publisher nor reviewer hype, yet its more than half-way to break-even.

CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
Stargazer #507031 03/07/14 03:55 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Stargazer
It's hard not to wonder how much more they would have made had they not given so many copies of the game away. Two copies with every physical CE, Digital CE, and Deluxe Duo Pack sold.. all potentially lost revenue as they were sold for cheaper than the cost of two games
That assumes many would have been willing to pay for multiple copies in the first place, as opposed to buying one and installing multiple times (legally in most cases if on your systems).

You're pointing out an assumption that I myself raised (but that you oddly omitted when quoting me). What I said was:

It's hard not to wonder how much more they would have made had they not given so many copies of the game away. Two copies with every physical CE, Digital CE, and Deluxe Duo Pack sold.. all potentially lost revenue as they were sold for cheaper than the cost of two games (particularly if we assume people would have purchased the CE's anyway).

Underlined for emphasis. Obviously I understood that it wasn't a guarantee and was making an assumption when pointing a possibility out.

Dark_Ansem #507034 03/07/14 03:56 PM
N
stranger
stranger
N
Concerning the license, I'm going to guess (and hope) for Dragonlance. They made numerous references to it in the beta and the game. They referenced Raistlin by name (changed to Glass Cannon) and have the star stones, which are essentially starjewels from the Chronicles trilogy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard