Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I would really like to be able to pause the game (outside combat). It is ok if this works only in single player games.

- to stop time passing, while I do other real life stuff.

- to make it easier to click on moving things

- to allow you to react to things happening just after combat ends. Yesterday one of my characters died because combat ended while she was on fire and it went so fast I could not react.

So the ability to enter combat mode at will (like in Fallout 1+2) would also be fine.

Last edited by Jacob Marner; 03/07/14 04:09 PM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Esc will allow you to pause the game so you can do RL stuff

The end of combat thing is one of those where you should be making good choices during combat so that you don't screw yourself over when the combat ends, I.e. Don't leave party members burning poisoned and bleeding with a sliver of health

addict
addict
The only reason I would say yes to this, is when trying to initiate a dialogue with moving characters. Especially when trying to use Pet Pal on rats. I can never click on them right, and have to wait until they stop completely. Then again, that could be fixed by simply increasing the hit box for dialogue prompts.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
If you hit Esc the game still continues...

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I'm sorry I wasn't aware that in game time still progressed when you hit esc. There weren't any time passage indicators that I noticed

I'd vote for this also, since it would help in dealing with "environmental hazards" e.g. tried dropping a torch in the regenerating poison clouds in the starter dungeon, which then triggered continuous explosions killing my party off before I could move them away. frown

D
stranger
stranger
D
I really want this as well. Or at least the ESC button would really pause the game. Audio and all.

Really need a pause button. Let's say we're trying to move the party through a trap infested room. It is a much better experience if you can pause, especially if you end up setting off a trap. Unless you're very quick to react, your party can be rammed by several fireballs in real time before you can move them out of harm's way. Not exactly the kind of thing you would expect in a turn based RPG.

Pause so we can issue orders and then resume the game.

You can right-click to abort movement (both in combat and out of it).

But yeah, the ability to pause and "issue orders" would be really nice - especially if creature animations stopped while you had the game paused (as the OP implied).

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
Characters dying right after combat is too common I agree. They are usually poisoned and on fire, and when real time starts there's very often not time to cast a heal or drink a potion.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by FelixDK
Characters dying right after combat is too common I agree. They are usually poisoned and on fire, and when real time starts there's very often not time to cast a heal or drink a potion.

Yes, definitely.

Also, it'd be nice to pause before initiating combat. Sometimes I want to wait until a juicy target wanders just in range of a spell, or an oil patch that I can reach with a spell. But in real time, they can wander back out again before the spell goes off.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Introducing ordered while paused is probably to difficult to implement on a finished game, but I would you really like if it was possible, like in Fallout 1+2 just to hit the "enter combat" button and the game would becomes turn based. THen you could also do more controlled buffing before entering a battle.

E
stranger
stranger
E

Yes sir. This is annoying.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
+100

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
I'd love a pause. Heck, and auto-pause after combat especially would be great so I can get off those heals/potions before characters with status effects die.

T
T

As it is currently, if they were just about to die you wouldn't have been able to save them even with a pause. 2 turns instantly pass the moment combat is over...

It would be nice if we could stay in combat and control our guys for a final turn after combat was over since the game forces us to eat the consequences as if 2 turns passed.

So we would like two pause modes really.

1. A HARD pause that stops the game cold and lets us leave the computer, without having to worry about anything happening.

2. A soft pause, out of combat, that lets the player issue orders before resuming.

BONUS:

3. A post combat action mode, in order to attempt to remove status effects, drink heal potions and whatever else, before the party dies from idiotic circumstances.

apprentice
apprentice
I came to ask the same and found this topic. +1, I can't understand why a turn based RPG can't be paused.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I just leave the game on when I need to do something... like sometimes I go do an errand for 2 hours and come back and continue without ever pausing it.. why does it need to be paused, not like anything happens usually with the passage of time?

T
stranger
stranger
T
Waste of electricity, for one thing.

I don't need my GPU ramped up while I walk the dog.

Granted not much changes, but people walking around and talking etc. is bothersome when I walk away from the keyboard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard