Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
So yeah im finding normal difficulty quite hard... every fight Ive had so far, has taken me numerous tries and when I do get by its by the skin of my teeth.

At the moment Im at a cave near a waterfall north of Cyseal and I honestly dont know what Im doing wrong smirk

My whole party is lvl 5 (rogue and knight main, and the 2 starter followers) and the enemy group im facing is outnumbers me 2 to 1...its 2 mages, 2 skelleton archers, 2 ghouls (i think) and 3 zombie boars???? all level 5... AND I JUST KEEP ON GETTIGN GANKED
Seems every bloody second Im getting poisoned and burnt! I cant attack boars with out getting poisoned... archers and mages constantly burning me to a crisp.

Ive been having fun with the game so far, but lately has started to feel like a major grind... "oh my 2 characters have died" *quickload* wash, rinse, repeat...

and its not like I can do anything else, enemies are a once off and the games pretty linear (so far anyway) done most of the quests Cyseal... managed to do the lighthouse now working my way east...

anyway thats my issue, feel free to offer some advise

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Use fire spells on the zombies. They spawn poisoned ground when they take damage, which if it spawns on burning ground will instantly detonate to damage them. Casting a small fireball on a pack can instantly destroy all of them, or destroy them when they attempt to move out of it next turn.

Use protection spells or summons to absorb the CC/spells from the ranged enemies.

Buy scrolls if your characters can't cast spells.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I got my rogue to take out the 2 archers first because I find them the most annoying.

Since you went with the knight I assume you have ram? I use the first turn to buff/save AP for melee so the ranged enemies have to walk to get to me. Use ram and crushing fist next turn to incapacitate the mages and others that you can get along the way

If Jahan has summons, summon something. Otherwise let him stay in the back for support damage and healing when necessary.

Prioritize melee enemies last because they are the least of your threats. But in a pinch, if you have cure wound use them on the zombies as it is an instant kill (e.g. Use it on the fortified zombie since cure wound is not affected by armour)

I think your rogue can get charming touch at this point so you can use to even out your numbers too in the beginning

Also, have you done the lighthouse yet?

It's just you...technically.

You're playing 3 melee 1 caster against a current group of mobs who enjoy nothing more than spewing poison from their wounds and aoeing stuff with magic arrows/spells.

Firstly, your rogue is dex-based and can use marksman skills/special arrows etc... don't limit him by just using daggers (it only costs 2 action points to switch weapons in combat if needed).

Secondly, remember the rain spell. It'll put out the burning and limit fire, while also buffing cold spells (Jahan can use his chill spell for 3 aps on a guy who is wet to freeze them, great CC).

Knights might seem like great damage, but they have the lowest CC of anyone, so while you think you have more damage than other groups you have the worst possible control over the battlefield - I'd rethink your party make up if you're struggling.

C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Thanks for the replies
So I kicked out my other knight and hired that Explodo fire mage dude from the End of time place... Notice the difference already. Also not charging in as much with my main knight, he usually ends up getting gang raped XD

In all its much better... still find it unfair that some enemy groups outnumber me more than 2 to 1.

I end up quick saving and quick loading after every round, hoping for good rolls etc... If I don't do that, its means spending a log time in a fight only to end up dead and having to starts from the beginning...

B
stranger
stranger
B
I struggled with this fight too, and it took me a few goes to get the tactics right.

I actually like the normal difficulty as it is. Most games thesedays are pretty easy and pose little challenge, I'm actually enjoying having a default difficulty setting which makes me stop and think more.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I suppose, the best way - using more Stun spells
Knight must have Crushing first and Battering Rum. And Talent Bully
Mage - Rain+Blitz Bolt, Boulder Bush.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Lol, at least you're not like my boyfriend and I who both thought Lone Wolf would be a great idea for the extra points. This is literally the first turn based game I've played since Pokemon when I was younger, and it didn't occur to me that having more party members just to soak up damage would be invaluable. XD

I've found that summoning things can be a great help because they're something extra to wail on. Stunning/freezing attacks are also very useful. And as others have said, fire works very well on undead.

stranger
stranger
Hi, I choosed as main 2 Chars Cleric/Mage and actually are playing Normal-Difficulty with no problems. Well, I made the classic Tank/DD combination, for the Cleric in D:OS seems to be something like a Paladin and not only a simple healer (with plate Armor/Shield/Mace Hand-to-Hand combat buffs/skills and healing every round spell). Or at least I play him like a Paladin/Tank. This works very well for me at the moment. I hope there will be a rogue-like hireling for me (for Locks).

I too like the normal difficulty as it is, cause i am so bored about games where you have to one-click to kill everything. fights in D:OS are really fun because you must use your brain a little bit to success, but then you are happy like a child, when you find out how to deal with different monsters.

Last edited by WWWanderer; 04/07/14 12:45 PM.
old hand
old hand
First if you find it too hard, frustratingly hard, I'm going to quit hard. If you aren't playing the lowest difficulty, change that first.

I will leave you with a tip: Yes it takes some figuring out at first, but there will be a large A HA! moment when it all starts to come together and you will improve a couple fold and then at that time, hope the game has a challenge for you left. The only exception I can think of is if you somehow really gimped your party, which is possible. But by the time Chapter 1 is over, you should have a good feeling with the system and start to know if your party is well made. If the party isn't, imo it isn't too late to re-roll and then you will go back over things you thought were crazy hard and laugh.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Yes, that's the case when no-one plays turn-based nowadays ... Action-RPGs have successfully eradicated ALL other forms of playing RPGs ... Thanlks to Blizzard and all of the other companies following their model ... DOS is one of the few exceptions ...

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 04/07/14 03:18 PM.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
F
stranger
stranger
F
I found the game really hard in the beginning, I started with a Rogue and a Knight, picked Lone Wolf on the Rogue and added the mage companion to my party. Almost every encounter was a struggle and I later on restarted the game, mainly because I figured Lone Wolf is one of the worst traits you can pick.

Went for a classic Wizard & Warrior combo and the game difficulty has been quite enjoyable (I play on Normal) for someone that doesn't knows the ins and outs of the game.

Hint: Oil + Fire is an extremely powerful combination on the first map.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by freche

Until you run into those enemies that heal via fire.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
F
stranger
stranger
F
Originally Posted by EinTroll
Originally Posted by freche

Until you run into those enemies that heal via fire.

Yea it that combo wont work everywhere but it makes the majority of early fights so much easier.

And even if your focus wont be water magic who doesn't get one point in water magic anyway? Just getting that basic heal saves so much time and one point into aqua also leaves room for two more great water spells, rain and ice bolt.

C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
I think everyone who hasn't been complaining about the difficulty, started the game with a mage as one of the main characters...

Just checked mages starting skills, Oil fire and poison... which seems to be a huge part in the combat design, elemental skills tied in with environmental effects I mean

Which desnt really help people who didn't pick a mage, because the first follower mage you get has lighting and water stuff (archers do elemental dmg too i guess, but that is finite because it can only come from arrows)

Wonder why they didn't decide to make Jahan (I think thats his name) the standard oil, poison, fire mage, would have been much more useful...no?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Count_Grishnackh
I think everyone who hasn't been complaining about the difficulty, started the game with a mage as one of the main characters...

Just checked mages starting skills, Oil fire and poison... which seems to be a huge part in the combat design, elemental skills tied in with environmental effects I mean

Which desnt really help people who didn't pick a mage, because the first follower mage you get has lighting and water stuff (archers do elemental dmg too i guess, but that is finite because it can only come from arrows)

Wonder why they didn't decide to make Jahan (I think thats his name) the standard oil, poison, fire mage, would have been much more useful...no?

Water+air spells are at least as efficient as fire spells. The combination of water and air is extremely powerful...

I would recommend playing with two mages/wizards, Jahan specialized on water+air and one of the player characters specialized on fire+geo/witchcraft.

A really well balanced (SP) consists of two mages like described above, one tank/fighter and one rogue/marksman. Of course you can also make mixed classes with another combination of talents. wink

WOOS
enthusiast
enthusiast
Most of my friends who state the game is too hard normaly have a melee-heavy party and normaly jump into the fights with all charging-in to the enemy.

In most games that can work, but on this one it actualy hinders your party a lot, because most of the beauty of the game is elemental combinations that form powerful AOE damage and explosions and stun states on enemies, but have also friendly fire, so melee a lot of times just gets in the way of those AOE setups.

Just play a little bit more defensively and put your melee guys with some ranged capabilities and the game plays out much more like a chess game and less like a slaughter house of melee action smile

Send in some pets, do your magic AOE chaos on clumped enemies, fly some ranged attacks on them, and let your melee take over the enemies that are out of your AOE fire/poison/electicity.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by KnightPT
Most of my friends who state the game is too hard normaly have a melee-heavy party and normaly jump into the fights with all charging-in to the enemy.

In most games that can work, but on this one it actualy hinders your party a lot, because most of the beauty of the game is elemental combinations that form powerful AOE damage and explosions and stun states on enemies, but have also friendly fire, so melee a lot of times just gets in the way of those AOE setups.

Just play a little bit more defensively and put your melee guys with some ranged capabilities and the game plays out much more like a chess game and less like a slaughter house of melee action smile

Send in some pets, do your magic AOE chaos on clumped enemies, fly some ranged attacks on them, and let your melee take over the enemies that are out of your AOE fire/poison/electicity.

Your melee fighter could just drink immunity potions against the AOE you want to use (and crafting is useful to create them)...There are spells for that specific purpose as well. wink

Last edited by LordCrash; 04/07/14 05:22 PM.

WOOS
K
stranger
stranger
K
This game is quite not playable for the average player. I approached this game as a fun RPG like Baldur's Gate or NWN, it is not that type of game. It apparently has turned into an over tuned mess for min maxers and OP niche builds.

In it's current state the game is not fit for sale on Steam, it's going to end up duping a lot of people into buying who will not get ant enjoyment out of the game at all. I am not sure I want to play it, I would rather have a refund than reroll and use cookie cutter OP skills and builds just to make the game playable.

addict
addict
I already gave you the fix in your other thread.

Originally Posted by Jito463
Options -> Game -> Difficulty "Easy"

There you go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard