Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Joined: Jul 2014
K
stranger
Offline
stranger
K
Joined: Jul 2014
I actually like how loot is done

Joined: May 2013
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: May 2013
This is getting tiring and there's almost a flame war about to start. I sense mod intervention soon if this keeps going.

Now, before this degenerates even further, let's see if we can agree on some points and move on to being either constructive or not there at all.

The system is not going to radically change with such a low demand for it. Screaming about it louder isn't going to make it look like there is actual demand. For that reason alone, we'll all have to live with it.

But that doesn't mean we have to live with it as it is, for that's what player feedback is about.

Now, I'm fairly certain none of us here even know how the loot system for D:OS actually works, just how it looks like. So that's an important missing piece of the puzzle.

Because any changes that are going to be made will only be minor changes, a tweak or two, of that nature. Whether it will evolve into something completely new or not is unknown (and unlikely, imho).

Now, this might just be me, but when I said earlier that loot doesn't matter that much in a story-driven RPG like this, I meant that it doesn't matter what you wear, as long as you can make use of it and not get stuck at some point in the game simply because you lack the stats to continue and have no options left. Because the game is story-driven, not loot-driven.

Also consider that even if you're equipped with a lot of orange items that are of around level 5, maybe trading them in for a blue with higher base stats, but fewer enhancements is not the worst idea. It's a trade-off and you get a choice in the matter. Larian clearly stated that they want this to be a fairly difficult game, and straight upgrades require no thought in deciding to use it instead of what you had up until then, hence make an easy decision.

Someone mentioned that robes with strength bonuses are useless. They may be useless to them, but not to a hybrid battlemage focusing more on his mage side than his battle side.

And merchants sell equipment too, not just ingredients and skillbooks. They are also meant to be where you can go trade in the gold you've gained from all your pillaging and looting for a potential upgrade.

Granted, not a very engaging decision to be made, for every slot, for every character you have, but still a place where your decision making can improve your overall performance.

I quite firmly believe in what I've just written, but feel free to disagree. With arguments.


Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
Joined: Mar 2013
T
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
T
Joined: Mar 2013
Originally Posted by EinTroll

snip...


They don't care, they already stated that if you play the game in a manner they disapprove, you are playing it wrong, that Larian made the game wrong.

Seriously, look at their constant jumping around each time you bring up something that doesn't fit into their world view. Each time it is yet another exception of why it isn't as optimal as they think everyone should be playing, that if you disagree, you are an idiot.

Think about it, the fact that Larian made the game the way they did, by these clowns own words, Larian is wrong, an idiot.

I think that concludes any reasonable discussion with these folks.




Last edited by Tanist; 07/07/14 07:54 PM.
Joined: Mar 2013
T
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
T
Joined: Mar 2013
Originally Posted by messere

no, its straight up logic



You forgot to add in "because I said so!" to really drive how logically you reasoned your point.

Oh, and "straight up" logic as opposed to just logic? Maybe you can educate us on all the types of logic out there, you know... so we know the difference between them?


Last edited by Tanist; 07/07/14 07:30 PM.
Joined: Mar 2013
T
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
T
Joined: Mar 2013
Originally Posted by kozzy
I actually like how loot is done


Well, according to the renowned game developer experts here in this thread, you are... playing it wrong!


Joined: Jun 2014
C
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
C
Joined: Jun 2014
I personally like the loot system, but I feel like its purpose is undermined by the fact that the game lacks replay value. I'm sure this will be resolved with player-made modules and what not, but it's still disappointing to spend so much time augmenting your characters/companions only to beat the final boss and be forced to abandon your characters.

Joined: Mar 2013
T
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
T
Joined: Mar 2013
Originally Posted by Cameron9428
I personally like the loot system, but I feel like its purpose is undermined by the fact that the game lacks replay value. I'm sure this will be resolved with player-made modules and what not, but it's still disappointing to spend so much time augmenting your characters/companions only to beat the final boss and be forced to abandon your characters.


Well, at least it isn't a short game. /shrug

Joined: Jul 2014
T
member
Offline
member
T
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by Tanist
They don't care, they already stated that if you play the game in a manner they disapprove, you are playing it wrong, that Larian made the game wrong.


There is nothing wrong with hybrids. I always do hybrids in everything and the fact is that Larian made it wrong to do certain hybrids even if that wasn't their intention. When something is flat out gimped then it's obviously the wrong decision. You don't use a hammer in place of a screwdriver because "I like hammers more," do you?

Originally Posted by Tanist
Think about it, the fact that Larian made the game the way they did, by these clowns own words, Larian is wrong, an idiot.


If Larian actually thought that str/dex hybrids worked as is then yes, they were wrong. Constantly stating the opposite would make them idiots.

Joined: Mar 2013
T
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
T
Joined: Mar 2013
Originally Posted by Tyhan
...



You are right. We are wrong, if we disagree we are idiots. We get it, good for you!

Thread closed. No need to discuss right? To discuss would mean we disagree and if we disagree, we are... wait for it... idiots.

/golfclap

Joined: Apr 2013
B
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
B
Joined: Apr 2013
Maybe we could get something more a middle road? I'm okay with random drops, but since this is game with a limited quantity of drops maybe the merchants could restock faster and have gear that's targeted towards what you're playing with? It might not be as good as the gear you get from drops, but at least you wouldn't be stuck using gear 5 levels behind your character.

Joined: Jul 2014
M
stranger
Offline
stranger
M
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by Tanist

You forgot


i dint forget anything
like others did even better b4 me

the problem of loot was pretty deeply analyzed and its flaws explained, its nothing big but its annoying

Joined: May 2014
M
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
M
Joined: May 2014
Am I the only one that likes random loot? I hate set loot--there's always that one item you have to have and you end up sticking with it forever and all the other loot is trash loot. In this game you have to make decisions and choices.

Joined: Mar 2013
T
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
T
Joined: Mar 2013
Originally Posted by MindlessAutomata
Am I the only one that likes random loot? I hate set loot--there's always that one item you have to have and you end up sticking with it forever and all the other loot is trash loot. In this game you have to make decisions and choices.


They are a minority here. Have been since the the game was being tested. They are just pretentious about their view. Fact is, most people either have no real opinion or like random loot system. That is not to say there aren't some tweaks that may be worthy in the system, but the dramatic position some are holding here is a very small minority.

Joined: Jul 2014
M
stranger
Offline
stranger
M
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by MindlessAutomata
Am I the only one that likes random loot? I hate set loot-


yes i hate set loot too

what this game would need is a random- "driven" loot

the problem is you have n stats and for each a chance like 5% for each

if it was driven lets take mail

mail would have dunno 50% chance of having str, 20% of having con, 10% res etc etc
this way when you drop a mail it would be always decent, but still rarely an upgrade

its really irritating to drop mails with sneaking,telkinesis and blacksmith

sure sometimes it has to happen but not that often

Joined: Mar 2013
T
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
T
Joined: Mar 2013
Originally Posted by messere
Originally Posted by MindlessAutomata
Am I the only one that likes random loot? I hate set loot-


yes i hate set loot too

what this game would need is a random- "driven" loot

the problem is you have n stats and for each a chance like 5% for each

if it was driven lets take mail

mail would have dunno 50% chance of having str, 20% of having con, 10% res etc etc
this way when you drop a mail it would be always decent, but still rarely an upgrade

its really irritating to drop mails with sneaking,telkinesis and blacksmith

sure sometimes it has to happen but not that often


Go ahead, make mod for it. What is stopping you?

Joined: Jul 2014
T
member
Offline
member
T
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by Tanist
Go ahead, make mod for it. What is stopping you?


Are you lacking cheese? Better go make some. After all, what's stopping you?

Joined: Mar 2013
T
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
T
Joined: Mar 2013
Originally Posted by Tyhan
Originally Posted by Tanist
Go ahead, make mod for it. What is stopping you?


Are you lacking cheese? Better go make some. After all, what's stopping you?



Look, you guys have already figured out most of the problem. The poster I quoted explained what he wants the system to do.

So, open up the editor and look for the logic that deals with the loot in chests. Modify the script to how you think it should be, save it and then upload the mod to Steam.

I mean, seriously, it isn't like the editor and scripting language they are using is difficult. It really is easy (watch the KS video when they talk about scripting).

So again, why not? What is stopping you? You guys certainly know how to tell people that they are playing wrong. How about less talk and more walk? Hmm? Mr. Developers?


Joined: May 2013
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: May 2013
Apples and oranges, good sir.


Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
Joined: Jan 2014
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jan 2014
Is Tanist still going? You folks have my sympathy.

Joined: Jul 2014
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Jul 2014
I think the problem is the variance of the randomness.. Not going to get into the more complex smart loot suggestions and loot tailored for your class etc but I believe a decent improvement on the current implementation would be to at least have guaranteed quality drops from boss kills etc.

For example, currently a quality/high level/secret chest can *possibly* drop 2 legendaries (yellow gear) - or a potion and a white armor. Same with some big boss kills - you could get 3 legendary drops or instead only get a couple of blues.

This kind of system encourages save reloading, which really sucks - I know self control is the key, but for someone playing iron man mode or no reload or whatever, they can be REALLY unlucky throughout the game, worst case - and just have a really tough time getting through, or just be constantly let down on key boss kills - or find a super secret chest they were super vigilant for going off the beaten path or solving a tricky side puzzle, then get just a potion and a scroll from it.

Perhaps instead have at least one or two guaranteed yellows from a big boss kill / high quality chest, the loot can still be random - but organise the loot into quality levels / colour. Hopefully you understand my meaning.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5