Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by jfunk
It updates instantly, you don't have to wait for the conversation to end. You see it in real-time.

Right now the only two things this doesn't work for are:

1. You don't know your partner started conversation unless they tell you.

2. You are pulled out of the journal to the convo window if a co-op decision is needed.

Other than that, it works just fine for both people to see the entire conversation as it happens.

Right that is why if they are doing a major redo on the UI for it (we don't know) and that will take a good chunk of time.

I'd just take a quick and dirty, give me a hotkey to immediately go to the Dialogs screen. And alert me on screen when the other player starts a conversation and tell me to press the hotkey I set to go read along.

It still isn't the slickest but it gets the job done. I would also suggest when the one player ends the conversation the dialog for the other player reading is alerted, "The End". So they know they can continue on.

Last edited by Horrorscope; 07/07/14 08:58 PM.
J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Yeah, the current system needs work and it's not "good enough". It is playable though.

All I really think needs to be added is:

1. Notification a conversation has been started(as well as button/hotkey to open it).
2. Allow co-op decisions to be integrated into the same interface.
3. Fix the multi-conversation issue Tyhan mentioned above.
4. Optionally allow viewing "mundane" conversation the same way (although still keep these convos out of the journal, they'd just clutter it up).

A
stranger
stranger
A
As you guys noticed the current system is very irritating and it really requires attention from devs as soon as possible:

1. Ideally I want to be able to join my friend's current conversation using the standard conversation UI, so I don't have to go to dialogues in journal, it really breaks immersion.

2. If point one can't be implemented right now, then at least fix issue mentioned by Tyhan - don't reset dialogues journal window when I'm reading some conversation and my friend starts another

3. When converstion reaches decisive point, allow me to read what was said before so I can make conscious decision. Right now I can't even open dialogues journal window and my friend has to explain whole conversation to me.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
The thing I don't like about the "same window" idea is that each person reads at different speed. I feel like the second person needs a different window styled more like the current journal that updates in real time but still shows the entire conversation so they can go at their own pace.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Yes, it has to be done in a such way that if I want to read slowly, then the screen is not automatically scrolled.

I believe such mechanism is right now implemented in Battle Log window. If you scroll to the bottom, then Log is automatically scrolled as new events occur. However, if you scroll up a bit then the log stays in the fixed position and you are able to analyze past events at your own pace.

As far as the look of the window is concerned, I don't see anything wrong about the regular conversation window, as long as it behaves as I described. I feel it gives better immersion than the journal.

Z
apprentice
apprentice
Z
The thing I don't like about the "same window" idea is that each person reads at different speed. I feel like the second person needs a different window styled more like the current journal that updates in real time but still shows the entire conversation so they can go at their own pace.

So they do what MANY past rpgs and adventure games with dialog have done.

Keep a past history of what was said above the current things being said (ie: you can scroll up to read past comments, from within the dialog window itself)

Do a Google image search for "Planescape Torment dialog window" and behold the genius of game devs from 15 frelling years ago!

These are really simple concepts here. Coding them may be a different issue, but as far as game design, these mechanics are NOT anything new. Why they werent built into the game? Who knows... Bad decisions happen. Lets just hope they can improve and fix it.

It will be the difference between this game being a 1 time play through as single player only, or the game having a LOT more replayability in online co-op

Last edited by Zewks; 10/07/14 05:41 PM.
addict
addict
I can't speak for coop, but I know if I'm in the middle of a conversation, I can scroll up to read prior conversation points.

C
stranger
stranger
C
It would be great if people can chose between two systems: the old system with the battle log / journal and the other suggested system where people see the same conversation window. I don't see the issue with different reading speed of the players. You're most likely playing with friends or family anyway, so you can politely ask each other to wait a few secs before klicking on. If you're playing with someone who just clicks through every dialogue, it's fine too because you are equal clueless what's going on at the end, haha.

Please Larian, PLEASE: do something about this. I played D:OS with my girlfriend for 2-3 hours and she was completely turned off by the fact that it was hard to follow each other's conversations. We didn't really feel like playing together... more like playing at the same time, but both on their own. I was very excited about this game and still glad I backed it on Kickstarter, but as someone else already mentioned, this is a real deal breaker.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
If you're sitting next to the person or on voice chat to tell them not to click next in the conversation, why can't you just tell them to press "l" to follow the conversation?

I agree this system should be improved, but there is absolutely no reason anybody should be unable to follow the conversation as is.

C
stranger
stranger
C
If you're sitting next to the person or on voice chat to tell them not to click next in the conversation, why can't you just tell them to press "l" to follow the conversation?

I agree this system should be improved, but there is absolutely no reason anybody should be unable to follow the conversation as is.

As mentioned by someone else before, reading conversations in a log kills the immension. I'm standing next to my partner, why can't I follow her conversation directly instead of looking it up from some kind of book?

And then there's the issue that the dialogue log restarts with every new conversation.

Z
apprentice
apprentice
Z
Tried a second time to play with my gf. Gave it a good 3 hours. She isnt going to play again until this gets improved. Real bummer, I play most co-op games (especially rpgs) with her, and this game was something we were both really looking forward to. I really hope it gets improved. I cant see buying any DLC or expansions at this point if it stays the same, and I would in no way recommend this game for the co-op. As a single player game, its great.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by Zewks
She isnt going to play again until this gets improved.

Same here. It's a shame, but the guys from Larian Studios are cool people, i'm pretty sure they'll be thinking of some way to improve that. I can understand why it's not at the top of their priority list right now - no deal, we'ere patient.

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
Originally Posted by Celo
Originally Posted by Zewks
She isnt going to play again until this gets improved.

Same here. It's a shame, but the guys from Larian Studios are cool people, i'm pretty sure they'll be thinking of some way to improve that. I can understand why it's not at the top of their priority list right now - no deal, we'ere patient.

Co-op should be bottom priorty tbh. There are many gameplay stuff needs to fixing/adding before touching any lan/multi/coop/intergalactic options.

T
T
Originally Posted by gastovski
Co-op should be bottom priorty tbh. There are many gameplay stuff needs to fixing/adding before touching any lan/multi/coop/intergalactic options.

Many people disagree with that.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
I heard that they are working on this very issue...

addict
addict
Originally Posted by gastovski

While I'm not a coop player, at all, I don't agree with this. It is a major selling point of the game, after all. And while it shouldn't take priority over bug fixes, it shouldn't be bottom of the pile, either.

journeyman
journeyman
I'm not a coop player as well and agree with Jito. This feature was promoted before the release so there should be a decent implementation.

Last edited by Morrandir; 15/07/14 01:50 PM.
Z
apprentice
apprentice
Z
Co-op is why I have 2 copies of the game, rather than 1. It was a major selling feature. Promoted selling features should be the top priorities of a game, period. Dialog, for all intensive purposes, is a HUGE part of a roleplaying game. The fact that its so awkwardly disfunctional in co-op, really breaks the rpg element of the game.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard