addict
Originally Posted by Joram
I don't see a problem because I don't see a "red nose" :hihi:

And the hair. Can't have clowns without the hair. wink

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Medieval knights and colors, that's not clowns, that's historical accuracy for a medieval context. Perhaps the game goes a bit further, but then it's a tropical color, not clowns, Medieval tropical knights, that sound cool.

A
Areason Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
I just tried to modify the picture in paint to proof my point - the result was quite scary and reminded me why i actually am afraid of clowns - also it is something no one ever should be forced to look at.

I do understand some of those arguments - but i dont really agree with them

- how can you argue about historical-correct armors in a fantasy RPG?
- i dont even see how this would be true since i doubt knights actually painted their armor
(i actually would be okay with armor that simply looks like armor without strange color stripes etc. aswell)

Anyhow the main problem isnt the problem that some ppl like me thinkt they look like clowns - but that it is borderline impossible to change that due to the rarity of dyes. Its sometihing that is understandable but its just stupid in a SP-RPG with a finite ammount of enemies and random drops.

Not to mention that choosing the word clown was intentional to sound more dramatic i mean who would click on a topic that reads "Warriors are too colourful", "Warrior looks like a rainbow" etc.

Also i do hope developers read this - because this would make the game way more enjoyable and probably is something that can be altered easily without breaking the game (either just ad a new merchant or simply adding those items to the standard merchant items).

OT:
I was hoping for some fast mods but there isnt even a single one yet - is there some problem with the editor or is it simply not possible to alter the main game?

Last edited by Areason; 08/07/14 11:20 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Areason
I was hoping for some fast mods but there isnt even a single one yet - is there some problem with the editor or is it simply not possible to alter the main game?

I think it's more that people are too busy playing the game, to bother with mods yet.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Fend
Medieval knights and colors, that's not clowns, that's historical accuracy for a medieval context. Perhaps the game goes a bit further, but then it's a tropical color, not clowns, Medieval tropical knights, that sound cool.

That's not historic accuracy because they only had their overcoats colored.

[Linked Image]

Plate-armor meanwhile, was not always accompanied by any overcoat and was just the plain metallic color of iron/steel.

The armor in Divinity games has always been fantasy-type armor, asides from in the first game where they opted for realistic armor.

[Linked Image]

I agree with the OP that some of the armor in Original Sin looks like clown armor.

Last edited by Demonic; 10/07/14 11:26 AM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
In the meanwhile, you can dye some armor with these recipices:

BRACER:
Bracer + air essence = cyan bracer
Bracer + fire essence = red bracer
and so on...You can apply more than one but the color is from the last essence applied

HELMET:
Helmet + air essence = cyan helmet
Helmet + fire essence = red helmet

ARMOR:
Plate Armor + plate scraps = white plate armor
Leather armor + metal scraps = white leather armor
Any Armor + air essence = cyan armor
Any Armor + fire essence = red armor

SARONG:
Sarong + air essence = cyan sarong
Sarong + fire essence = red sarong

BOOT:
Boots + nails = white boots

N
stranger
stranger
N
Wherz mah grimdark?!

The armor and art design are fine ... I mean, I suppose there's no arguing matters of taste, but I'd say Larian got the character design, color palette, and dialogue all neatly lined up in this game; it all sort of fits together.

journeyman
journeyman

OT:

I was actually planning to make a few armor mods, such as one that replaces mage robes with the cloth armor designs (normal clothes) and a shameless fanservice one for both genders.

There's just one problem: The blasted game won't allow you to make mods that overwrite models/texture from the main module. It will just ignore the modded version and continue using the defaults >:(

I found you can hack around this by deleting the main/texture pak files then replacing them with their extracted components. But you're still only able to alter the main module files (mods will still be ignored by the extracted version). So WAYYY to messy of a procedure for me to feel comfortable trying to release any of my modded content to the public yet.

But once Larain (hopefully) fixes the game to recognize modded textures/models without having to butcher the main module and its pak files I'll be happy to release a few theme sets for the armor wink

EDIT/Update: Well some good news and some bad news. Good news is thanks to Norbyte I've found a cleaner method of overwriting existing content that simply involves creating a new pak file containing the replacement models/textures.

Bad news is while this means alternate armor textures can be made it won't get rid of the gaudy colors. But if someone can find the file that handles the armor items palettes they likely could use the same method to give them all some more down to earth colors schemes.

Anyways guess I'll be releasing a mage robe to clothes mod soon biggrin

Last edited by MrEsturk; 09/07/14 06:24 AM.
A
Areason Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Originally Posted by MrEsturk

OT:

I was actually planning to make a few armor mods, such as one that replaces mage robes with the cloth armor designs (normal clothes) and a shameless fanservice one for both genders.

There's just one problem: The blasted game won't allow you to make mods that overwrite models/texture from the main module. It will just ignore the modded version and continue using the defaults >:(

I found you can hack around this by deleting the main/texture pak files then replacing them with their extracted components. But you're still only able to alter the main module files (mods will still be ignored by the extracted version). So WAYYY to messy of a procedure for me to feel comfortable trying to release any of my modded content to the public yet.

But once Larain (hopefully) fixes the game to recognize modded textures/models without having to butcher the main module and its pak files I'll be happy to release a few theme sets for the armor wink

EDIT/Update: Well some good news and some bad news. Good news is thanks to Norbyte I've found a cleaner method of overwriting existing content that simply involves creating a new pak file containing the replacement models/textures.

Bad news is while this means alternate armor textures can be made it won't get rid of the gaudy colors. But if someone can find the file that handles the armor items palettes they likely could use the same method to give them all some more down to earth colors schemes.

Anyways guess I'll be releasing a mage robe to clothes mod soon biggrin

Would it be possible to add Dyes to the inventory of vendors or ad a new vendor with dyes or at least add a chest with dyes? Or is this also hard to implement?

Last edited by Areason; 10/07/14 09:08 AM.
G
stranger
stranger
G
This is a single player game. Not an MMO. character customization should be easy. They barely have any as it is, and the dyes are rare, expensive, and require the crafting skill to use. you have to level up a fucking skill in order to dye your gear. this is bullshit. dyes should be much more available. they should be easy to find and cheap. maybe even make them infinitely reusable to save inventory space. maybe allow you to color your armor with that mirror in the homestead. I shouldn't have to use hacks or cheats to prevent my characters from looking stupid.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
I like it!

Where you found those armor OP?

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
I agree that PC armor and robe designs are annoyingly ugly. Every damn cultist has a nice black robe and every orc has better looking armor. And don't even get me started on guys like Braccus Rex.

The TC said "clowns" and it's an apt description. I play on Hard, and my party rips everything in their path to shreds with little effort and yet for all their power they still look like a bunch of court jesters with sticks for swords.

BTW, speaking of sticks. It's also disappointing that tier 2 models for 2H swords and axes actually look worse than tier 1.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard