Next Thread
Print Thread
U
Ucross Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
U
My friend and I are looking for advice. We are people that play games on the hardest level not because we like pain but because we enjoy high level strategy and if the game is too easy a lot of the strategy goes away.

So here is what we are thinking for D:OS, I'd appreciate feedback/advice.

Rules:
- 2 characters, both with lone wolf.
- One character must level Str/Dex evenly the other must level Int/Perception evenly and those must be the highest stats.
- Both characters must spend at least 1/4 of their skill points in non-battle skills (personality or craftsman -- not including lucky charm).
- You are not allowed to use consumable items (save arrows) in battle.
- The following traits are banned: glass cannon, know-it-all, leech, zombie.

What do you guys think? Will it be too hard? Our goal is not to punish ourselves, just to maximize the strategy.

Last edited by Ucross; 08/07/14 02:40 AM. Reason: Modifications
journeyman
journeyman
I haven't had any experience with Lone Wolf, but I think you'd have a tough time getting anywhere with this setup without cheesing everything. I'd consider myself an experienced gamer, and this game is fairly difficult on Hard already. Losing the AP/turn of 2 characters I think would be a really, really big hurdle to climb.

old hand
old hand
Ditch Lone wolf. Wuss.

Ditch the:

- 2 characters, both with lone wolf.
- One character must level both Str and Dex evenly
the other character must level both Int and Perception evenly and those must be the max stats.
- Both characters must spend at least 1/3rd of their skill points in non-battle skills (personality or craftsman except lucky charm).

- because this doesnt have anything to do with the game, its tactical considerations, mechanics, setting or the gameplay.

- The following traits are banned: weather the storm, glass cannon, know-it-all, leech -

zombie too. and bigger and better and all skilled up.

What are you, proclaiming some hard mode play and then trying to cheat openly?

:lol:

ffs...

I'd consider myself an experienced gamer, and this game is fairly difficult on Hard already.

hahaha

old hand
old hand
OP that should be a fair enough challenge.

apprentice
apprentice
That would make things very difficult indeed.

I'm on hard, and the fight with Braccus Rex was very, very challenging indeed. He can one-shot the party with his meteor.

veteran
veteran
@Ucross and his friend :
Good Luck with your taken challenge !!

I'm curious to know how it goes,
so let us know, okay ? wink

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
All white equipment only, blue or up are banned laugh

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
It's gonna be really tough for you, i mean really.
I play something similar, not with exactly the same rules you have posted, but some of them.
- on hard;
- 2 lone wolves;
- 1 is str/perc;
- 1 is int/dex;
- don't spend all points into combat skills but into "social" too.

Fights are really challenging and you need to really think about every little detail, use the terrain even to hide and lure the enemy, carefully choose every skill you use.
One hard CC on one of you chars and you are a toast. Usually the numbers of the enemy overwhelm you.
But it's fun.
I wouldn't go to extremes like not taking some skills you mentioned, that would make it more of a frustration run than fun and challenging. I think with this setup even using all you have at your disposal won't make it a lot easier.

If you don't take lone wolf and don't take any companions with you? Would it bee too hard?

We are proud to report that we finished our DOS2 localization project (Hungarian). :'-)
https://warg8.jimdofree.com/
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
If you don't take lone wolf and don't take companions it would be close to impossible i think.

veteran
veteran
I like this topic & it's subject !! up

Finally I can read something different on the forums of Divnity : Original Sin than a thousand times again the same kind of topics with "complaining and scraping" about D:OS ....

(sometimes it gives me jitters all that bla bla bla ... too many of them, too many .... :hihi: )

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Aspar
If you don't take lone wolf and don't take companions it would be close to impossible i think.

No, the game is perfectly playable like that. Lone Wolf is just an enabled cheat that makes the game easier then it already is.

Originally Posted by Hiver
Originally Posted by Aspar

No, the game is perfectly playable like that. Lone Wolf is just an enabled cheat that makes the game easier then it already is.

Of course you'll be posting game videos to show off your l33t skills. Talk is cheap smile

old hand
old hand

I already went through the beta like that. Currently busy with trying to see the rest of the game with the usual setup so i can see where the companion stories go as well as the overall story.

but yes, i could make a video of it, probably will. Should do a co-opwith someone, come to think of it....

As well as mod a proper hard mode not this cheap quick version in the game now.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Mind you, but beta was totally different than release. I went through beta with this setup and it was much much easier.
Skills are changed, enemies are tougher and reacting differently.
I don't claim to be a "l337" gamer, though i have been gaming since the 8bit days and IMHO know a thing or two about gaming, but with 2 lone wolves on hard the game is not a walk in the park at all.
At least in the first area, where i currently am.
I imagine without lone wolf the game will be extremely hard, when 5+ enemies are pounding on you and you don't have neither the points, no the life to survive it and kill them, let alone be hard controlled for a turn or two.
As a starter such a play-through requires a quite different mindset as to what to do in fights and how and when to approach them.
The same situation in beta and i thought the game was too easy.
So please do try 2 non-lone wolves without companions on hard and show us your skills.
And no hex editing the save game files please...

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Well it's not about knowing if two Lone Wolf is playable without using the two exploits, the problem is he quoted Lone Wolf is a cheat, which is, ha ha, I won't even bother argue with this absurdity.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Yeah, i was writing a comment on that.
Lone wolf is in no way a cheat.
It's an attempt to make some adjusting to those players that want to play the game with only the 2 protagonists. It's more of a hardcore self-gimpish pick that still gives you a chance to play even on hard and to an extend makes you feel like you have your main chars more important and powerful than any other playable npc in the game.
But playing with 4 chars is much easier than lone wolf, so LW is the solution of the designers to allow players who want to play with 2 only to play the game, without making it extremely easy for those that play with 4 and without making it impossible for those who play with 2.
Overall a very good skill decision for what its purpose is i think.
Give those who want to play it that way the opportunity to do it without ruining the game for them or for those that don't use it.
In no way it's a cheat.

old hand
old hand
No, the last few version of the beta were tougher. Several encounters have been dialed back and toned down for the full release.

Its not about what... l337? skills? what the fuck is that anyway?
if some random dumbass uses such non-vocabulary it doesnt mean thats what i said or what im thinking, ok?

So dont address me with that crap.

Its not about madskillz or ego, thats the problem of the OP and the likes of fend and halycon who immediately feel personally slighted, because this would diminish their egoes.

All you need to do that is actually think and use what the game provides.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
I don't like braggers, so don't except any cool thing from me, secondly I'd be curious to see you persist pretend two Lone Wolf is cheating ie a lot more easy. And nope I won't bother argue on this non sense.

F
stranger
stranger
F
Aspar, what does the int/dex character do, specifically? Seems like an odd combo.

Also, for people who gave played later game, how much of a nerf is it to not use consumables? Are healing potions valuable?

Link Copied to Clipboard