Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#512843 08/07/14 08:08 AM
R
RtM Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Aside from the technical fine tuning there seems to be an overwhelming amount of complaining about features that people wish Larian woulve implemented, add through dlc or change altogether. I don't quite get it. I thought a game was about experiencing it as a whole. It will need to have its own style and tone to standout. It doesn't need everything ever thought of and I'm ignoring the fact that they didn't have a large budget.

Sometimes the notes you don't play are more important than those you do. think

Dying right after combat, because status effects carry over and you have ZERO time to try and get rid of them - plus the game apparently runs 2 turns in an instant, is not in any way a plus.
The whole of the game would be better if you did not have to worry about something like that.

There are many other issues, some minor, some major. A design team can only think of so many things. The true integrity test comes with public release. Thankfully Larian have listened to criticism so far - most notably the irritating NPC chatter they fixed.

Hopefully they keep listening to the community and keep improving their game.

veteran
veteran
Indeed !

You can say it also like this:
"The grass is always greener at the other side !"

Or why people are not (or never) happy with what they get/have ... frown

... it's just a "game", not vital !

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
enthusiast
enthusiast
Also, that a game keeps getting updates is good thing and many of the best games that is played for many years. Heck, Star craft got updates more than a decade after it release.

There is no shame in improving a game after release.

Last edited by Jacob Marner; 08/07/14 08:40 AM.
old hand
old hand
Dying right after combat, because status effects carry over and you have ZERO time to try and get rid of them - plus the game apparently runs 2 turns in an instant, is not in any way a plus.
The whole of the game would be better if you did not have to worry about something like that.

This was actually dealt with and doesnt happen anymore, unless you as a player do something really nonsensical.

I dont see why everyone should be subjected to ridiculous changes that would distort core mechanics of the game - because you extremely incompetent and lazy few players cause those problems for yourself.

Originally Posted by Hiver

This was actually dealt with and doesnt happen anymore, unless you as a player do something really nonsensical.

I dont see why everyone should be subjected to ridiculous changes that would distort core mechanics of the game - because you extremely incompetent and lazy few players cause those problems for yourself.

You hardly cause problems for yourself if you're under the influence of status effects. You're saying this was dealt with - then why are people continuing to complain about dying right after combat?

Perhaps you could source a developer log or update that explains this? Or are you too lazy?

Last edited by Halcyon; 08/07/14 09:01 AM.
old hand
old hand
THERE IS NO "people" there is just you and one or two other players, as far as i can see.

You cause that for yourself by playing BADLY. The only way i can see this happening once or twice in the whole game is if you were at extremely low health when combat finished and then status effect too off the last hp before you could heal.

- negligible and certainly not something warranting serious game changes.

Suck it up.

Compared to how this worked before its a non existant issue now.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Originally Posted by Hiver

Suck it up.

You are quite out of the loop, stop think the game is only designed for you, can you imagine that? Done?

So for some players it's a nuisance they manage turn based combats and if the combat ends it can suddenly degenerate in a quick action real time to do in urge because a character will die from state.

Most of those players would probably just be happy with a pause, which probably never happen because now too late to implement.

But it's a valid opinion and that for you it's not is quoted but doesn't invalidate this opinion.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by RtM
Why do you want changes?

I don't quite get it...

Obviously, the people who want changes... think the game would be better with said changes... what's hard to understand about that?

veteran
veteran
Entitlement issues really.

But remember people, what do you get if developers really make a game on players feedback and statistics from their playerbase?
You get Dragon Age 2.
And no-one wants that... REALLY.

As for Halcyon's issues, yeah, those happened in beta, but definitely are fixed in the release as far as I see... you always see about 5 empty rounds after combat which cleans all your effects (without damage and such) to prevent you from post-combat mortality as beta had.
The situation Fend pictured was frequent in Beta, but I cannot see how it can happen at all in the final release... seeing how the game clears you of them before going back to real-time...
I suggest you verify your files.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RtM
It will need to have its own style and tone to standout.

that's why we have this: http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=61&page=1

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I don't know why this forum attracts an inordinate number of people who feel the game is a failure unless it caters to their every whim and preference and god forbid should someone else derive enjoyment from the mechanics that they dislike.

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Where has this negativity come from? Most of the people I've seen voice their issues with subjective qualities of the game have done so reasonably and without setting the ultimatum of "change this or I stop playing." People know what they like and don't like, and if a certain feature rubs them the wrong way they have every right to voice it. If Larian agrees, they can change it. If they don't, they don't have to.

I really doubt anyone here agrees 100% with every last design choice in this or any other game. Hell, there are a few things about the UI that bug the crap out of me. And if I were so inclined I could come here and voice those complaints, thus opening a dialogue where people can list their reasons for agreeing or disagreeing with me. Because that's what a forum is *for*.

Last edited by Zozma; 08/07/14 02:49 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RtM
Aside from the technical fine tuning there seems to be an overwhelming amount of complaining about features that people wish Larian woulve implemented

I don't see that. At all.

160,000 people already bought that game a few days ago. Maybe 100 or even 1,000 people complain. That's neither a lot nor a significant number. It's just the most mouthy complainers who can't be avoided and which don't reflect any "overwhelming criticism" (but who sometimes can give some valuable feedback as well of course).

The vast silent majority is just silent and enjoys the game. wink

Last edited by LordCrash; 08/07/14 02:48 PM.

WOOS
old hand
old hand
I think it is common that people ask for improvements and features in forums. Why? Because they can see things they feel would make their game more enjoyable. I also think by now most understand they most likely won't happen, but some features will... you watch. So who's to say which one's stick and which one's fade away?

Several things asked were things that most likely would have been done with more time and Larian has made a movie stating they plan on supporting the game fixing bugs, adding feature and adding content, as long as they make bank on sales. So putting that nugget out there, doubly leads people to start throwing out suggestions.

I'm not sure I've been to a forum that doesn't ask for a little more.

To Halcyon:
That was a very popular subject in beta and late in beta we rec'd a huge improvement to how your character and AI react to terrain hazards. Really late we had all kinds of issues with everyone just running right into the hazards. Point here is, it was all about feedback and then time. IMO they had to get that one fixed, the reaction would have been unbelievable if it was what we had for most of beta, 75% or more of deaths were just your guys acting stupid with the terrain, then being real-time, it happened so fast you died.

Which brings us to your concern of Realtime Damage in a TB game, that was reported several times as well, I'm not sure we will ever see a fix for it or if it was just no time to address. One suggestion in beta and after release was to still keep the game in TB mode for a turn after a fight is over so we can heal/buff etc. Another was when traveling (realtime) and you took damage the system goes into combat mode for one round, that way you could in TB fashion address the issue with a heal/buff.

Which reminds me of other issues fixed late, after battle what happened was all the players auto-formed back up to the leader. They didn't care about terrain. So lets say the handle the battle un-nicked. After the fight they just made a B-Line to the leader running through fire and acid and would die. We'd say the moments forming after the fight were more deadly than the battle. Again a little late tweak to that, so players don't form until the leader moves, made a huge difference.

All this stuff imo is on the table for discussion post launch. We don't know if Larian is totally satisfied or has a few things they want to double back on. It is crazy better now, but as you say there are still some issues overall.

Last edited by Horrorscope; 08/07/14 02:59 PM.
J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Originally Posted by Halcyon
Dying right after combat, because status effects carry over and you have ZERO time to try and get rid of them - plus the game apparently runs 2 turns in an instant, is not in any way a plus.T

I think this would have been covered under the OP's "technical fine tuning". That's not the type of changes they're talking about.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Zozma
Where has this negativity come from? Most of the people I've seen voice their issues with subjective qualities of the game have done so reasonably and without setting the ultimatum of "change this or I stop playing." People know what they like and don't like, and if a certain feature rubs them the wrong way they have every right to voice it. If Larian agrees, they can change it. If they don't, they don't have to.

+1

This forum is zero different than other games, nothing to do with entitlement. For a simple example Inventory Stacking somethings do and somethings don't, people ask for every like thing to stack. Or another sorting of Items by type.

These are asked because they are somewhat standard features in many games. Sure perhaps a person or two goes off the deep-end, but to me it seems most is just noted calmly enough, because it sticks out to them as a miss.

Last edited by Horrorscope; 08/07/14 03:08 PM.
veteran
veteran
@ Horrorscope; ALL OF THAT has been fixed already. All of it. Seriously.
There's no need to patch it up, all of that has been resolved already.

Actually, going to other forums there's a major amount of praise for PC's avoiding traps and hazardous environments by themselves, wondering why other games couldn't do so.

While that's "wow" for new players, it has somewhat a different meaning to those of us who indeed saw those issues and lost our team to that many many times.
But as I said, it has all been fixed. So there's no reason why people should still encounter it, unless their patches screwed up something... which verify would fix.

Thank you Horrorscope for the detailed explanation. I will double check to verify that status effects get cleared after battle.

However, if I avoid a trap with my main character, the 3 others following along are liable to walk right into it, sometimes taking an entirely different route due to the path finding, stumbling into other traps. Then they die or the entire party wipes in a matter of seconds. This has not been fixed. It happened to me several times yesterday under Cyseal. The only solution was to micro manage the movement of each character.

I am running the latest version of the game.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Originally Posted by Halcyon
Thank you Horrorscope for the detailed explanation. I will double check to verify that status effects get cleared after battle.

However, if I avoid a trap with my main character, the 3 others following along are liable to walk right into it, sometimes taking an entirely different route due to the path finding, stumbling into other traps. Then they die or the entire party wipes in a matter of seconds. This has not been fixed. It happened to me several times yesterday under Cyseal. The only solution was to micro manage the movement of each character.

I am running the latest version of the game.

I've had the same issue with traps, but only traps. Hazards sitting around on the ground however, my characters will always avoid. In fact, I can't get them to run into them if I wanted to.

I think maybe the trap thing is working as intended. They're pretty easy to spot, so perhaps an auto avoid almost defeats the purpose of them being around? In any case, shooting them with an arrow has largely been my solution for traps.

Last edited by JoeBart; 08/07/14 03:35 PM.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard