Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
veteran
Odd, if traps are found I find my characters are unable to trigger them, even if all 4 almost stand on top of it.
Of course unfound traps still trigger as normal.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
Odd, if traps are found I find my characters are unable to trigger them, even if all 4 almost stand on top of it.

Yes that was all part of the late improvements to hazards, the AI is so much better now. It's those you don't pick up. Boom! That is the way it should be, then you maybe dealing with real-time DOT damage.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J

I haven't been religiously trying to trigger traps so maybe it was just a pathing issue. Could have been I was already clicked to move to a spot and detected the trap as I was still moving, thus never altering the pathing. Maybe if I clicked after detecting the trap the pathfinding would have taken it into consideration.

Last edited by JoeBart; 08/07/14 04:17 PM.
old hand
old hand
Joe that is probably it. Once we see bad terrain, you have to purposely click to get our guys to move into it. Just following the mouse as you move it, they will swerve around hazards. Is there an exception or anomaly? Perhaps.

The traps I mentioned are
the trigger plates found in the fireball-death room accessible from the grave in the cemetary

My character remarked she had found something. Walking across the trigger plates, with her or the others by accident, triggered them absolutely.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Originally Posted by Halcyon
My character remarked she had found something. Walking across the trigger plates, with her or the others by accident, triggered them absolutely.

I believe trigger plates are not something that are automatically avoided. I had the same experience at another location with those.

Originally Posted by Horrorscope
Joe that is probably it. Once we see bad terrain, you have to purposely click to get our guys to move into it. Just following the mouse as you move it, they will swerve around hazards. Is there an exception or anomaly? Perhaps.

I think that was probably my issue there. Not a big deal, didn't think everything through in my first post smile

Last edited by JoeBart; 08/07/14 06:24 PM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
The idea with the large plates is that they are trapped terrain. You can't walk through them so find other approaches

1. You can get one member to run through, trigger it, and warp the rest of the party to where one member is now safely at

2. Use feather fall (or teleport if you have a high health member) to bypass the terrain.

In the house that Halcyon mentioned, if you read the journal the original owners trapped the basement to keep the undead out. It would hardly be an effective trap if your party can just easily stroll over it.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by RtM
I don't quite get it. I thought a game was about experiencing it as a whole. It will need to have its own style and tone to standout. It doesn't need everything ever thought of and I'm ignoring the fact that they didn't have a large budget.

This isn't the 90s anymore. A game comes out, then especially if its successful like this one is, players (rightfully) expect support, patches, DLCs, balance tweaks, UI improvements, etc. Quality post-launch support is as important as initial game design.

If you want to experience a game 'as a whole' you need to play it only after it's support cycle is over, which can take from 5 months to 5 years.

Last edited by Nameless Hero; 08/07/14 08:58 PM.
veteran
veteran
It's a pretty clever setup there, with fire on one side, trap overall, and a barrel to the other side to be able to pass. A barrel covering a poison trap.

journeyman
journeyman

But remember people, what do you get if developers really make a game on players feedback and statistics from their playerbase?
You get Dragon Age 2.
And no-one wants that... REALLY.

Wait! Wait!
Dragon Age 2 wasn`t terrible because of the Fast Paced Playstyle what`s wished for. It was terrible because Bioware destroyed all of the other Things what the Fans loved on Dragon Age: Origins. The Combat System felt still like the old one, only a bit faster.
But i understand your Point. Nothing BEATS World of Warcraft Classic in the WoW Saga! In the other Hand - look at Diablo 3 - the Community hated the auction house, and now it isnï½´t anymore and the Game is much better now! But that goes too much in offtopic!

@Topic:
Someone Remember on the Relaese-Version of Divinity 2. Like i said in a other Topic, Divnity 2 is my favorte in the Divinity Series, BUT without the Patches/Expansion the Game wouldn`t be as great as it is now!(or to put it for Gamers, who didn`t like Divinity 2...without the Patches/Expansion the Game would be much more horrible...)

Improvement and new Content can good for every Game...

I just finished a fight with poisonous enemies. At the end of the fight, the ground had become poisonous under Madora. Fighting stops, normal time resumes and Madora is suddenly RAPIDLY being status affected by poison. I have to scramble, move her out and throw a heal on her, hoping it's fast enough.

That has zero to do with strategy and is all about twitch movement. Perhaps the developers can let characters stay in turn based mode, even after fighting ends, until the PLAYER decides it's time to quit. That way it's possible to end and clean up in a more tactical manner.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Nameless Hero
Originally Posted by RtM
I don't quite get it. I thought a game was about experiencing it as a whole. It will need to have its own style and tone to standout. It doesn't need everything ever thought of and I'm ignoring the fact that they didn't have a large budget.

This isn't the 90s anymore. A game comes out, then especially if its successful like this one is, players (rightfully) expect support, patches, DLCs, balance tweaks, UI improvements, etc. Quality post-launch support is as important as initial game design.

If you want to experience a game 'as a whole' you need to play it only after it's support cycle is over, which can take from 5 months to 5 years.

+1

I just want to say all forums should impliment a LIKE system. I'd like this and dozens others. It is a positive attitude that helps build a community. It would be cool if these forums supported that. Oh... am I asking for more again? smile

There is no threat, just asking and talking about a game we like. If the game sucked we wouldn't even bother.

Last edited by Horrorscope; 08/07/14 11:48 PM.
P
journeyman
journeyman
P
What do I want:

1) SHIFT+UP/DOWN to cycle action bars at all times, so I don't have to move the mouse cursor away from whatever I am focusing on in order to click on a tiny arrow to perform this action.

2) A hotkey for delaying a character's action in combat, so I don't have to move the mouse cursor away from whatever I am focusing on in order to click on a tiny button at the side of the screen to perform this action. Normally 'w' would be used for this, but as that is taken (for WASD scrolling), perhaps 't' instead.

Why do I want it:

Because it is a major UI improvement for minimal effort.

Multiple action bars and swapping between them is not something new and revolutionary. It is a well established design pattern, and when you do it for PC with a dual mouse/keyboard setup, you should - as a matter of course - make both selection from the active action bar and cycling the action bars be possible using either input device.

Given that this is basic UI design knowledge, I can only believe that it is something that was forgotten in the rush of so many other higher priority issues to address.

Incidentally, I also consider the tiny clickable up/down buttons much too small for frequently used buttons in a good mouse interface, but that's a different issue, as people who are primarily mouse-oriented in input method might find them large enough.

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.
veteran
veteran
@ Halcyon; See, I've had many poison pools linger after battle and that did not happen to me.
It happened ALL THE TIME during my Beta game, my retail game though; never.

Did you verify your cache yet?

The only time I had effects like this was in Black Cove, where rapidly burning wood/oil did reach my Players (and far beyond) after combat ended, but that's really the only spot...

L
L
-Staff equivalents of tenebrium weapons.

-Void magic as the caster equivalent of the tenebrium skill, or adding void spells to the game in one of the existing schools.

-More robe models. Mages have to suffer with the exact same model all the way till endgame, with the only difference being the color, of all things.

-Unique armor with unique looks. We already have unique weapons like the Sword of Holy Flame and Braccus's Axe, I'd love to see unique armors like mystical robes, demonic plate-mail, dragonscale leather, crowns and so on.

-A more in-depth dye system, where you can dye separate parts of your armor, like the actual armor and attached skirt of the female leather armor model.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
- Stop seeing inside houses when you are OUTSIDE.
- Better crafting. More ingredients, A CRAFTING PANEL, and moremoremore everything. Also, it's a bit silly that crafting is bound to the points you get from leveling up. This basically makes crafting a bit pointless. Why not get grafting levels by CRAFTING? Also, recipes should be seen on the crafting screen.
- Fire on ground did, indeed, burn my characters to crisp after I had already won the fight. Didn't have time cast rain either. Badbad.
- Experience from crafting. Please.
- Stop main character chat from disappearing if characters are away from each other. Why can't they talk about the topics later?
- If I discover a recipe on my own, it should be added to the list of recipes automatically.
- A "ring" under a character you are currently pointing at. Reduces you from making those "Ooops" -clicks. Also, if you HAVE your mouse over a character in battle, make a tiny window, before it gets deselected. That will also reduce error clicks.
- Global chat does not seem to work.
- LET ME GET STRAIGHT OUT OF THE SHOP. I don't want to talk no more! I'm just shopping. Thank you. wink
- Always run -option. PLEASE. This one can't be hard to implement outside the battle!
- Those help-popups could come somewhere else than in the middle of the screen. Sometimes they cause you DEATH. X)
- You should be able to see if you have read a BOOK in your INVENTORY. Otherwise you may be selling books you have not read yet.

+ Fishing! Give us fishing
+ EXPANSIONS, give us EXPANSIONS!!

Those are my biggest gripes at the moment. Crafting needs some serious work, so that it can be more fun. Right now it's a bit redundant.

And seriously. I love this game. But it CAN be even better.

Last edited by MogwaiX; 09/07/14 08:04 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm generally pleased with the game at the moment. Of course, I just discovered it, so this feeling will probably fade as the particular issues with the game become more and more apparent.

Still, I'm not ungrateful, nor will I ever be. I'm not expecting this game to entertain me forever; entertaining me for a while is sufficient.

Nevertheless, anything which is not perfect can be improved. Which means: everything can be improved.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 09/07/14 08:05 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by MogwaiX
-Also, it's a bit silly that crafting is bound to the points you get from leveling up.
How is silly? You gain levels to get points to improve your character, that just how leveling work. Is just an abstraction of how gaining experience makes you better at things

@ Halcyon; See, I've had many poison pools linger after battle and that did not happen to me.
It happened ALL THE TIME during my Beta game, my retail game though; never.

Did you verify your cache yet?

The only time I had effects like this was in Black Cove, where rapidly burning wood/oil did reach my Players (and far beyond) after combat ended, but that's really the only spot...

Cache verified, latest game version.
It makes sense if you stand on a pool of poison, generated during battle, that you will get affected. No problem with that mechanic. The problem is that there is a lack of time to react once the battle ends and things speed up.

I can say with 100% certainty that this issue is still active.

On the plus side, the PCs do avoid dangerous terrain while path finding. That's very nice.

Last edited by Halcyon; 09/07/14 08:35 AM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by rupuka
Originally Posted by MogwaiX
-Also, it's a bit silly that crafting is bound to the points you get from leveling up.
How is silly? You gain levels to get points to improve your character, that just how leveling work. Is just an abstraction of how gaining experience makes you better at things

Well, you can workworkwork with you crafting skills, and it does not affect anything. You do not get experience. Which means, you cannot work as a, say, weapon smith, and continue your adventures later. You meet a skill ceiling, until you start working on some quests.

That's what I meant.

Last edited by MogwaiX; 09/07/14 08:43 AM.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard