Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
L
Then expand the uses of crafting. If Blacksmithing governs weapons and armor, let high-level crafting govern setting magical enhancements on gear, robes and staves. Yes, part of it is already in the game, but let your crafting level determine how strong the enchantments you lay with a Tormented Soul are. Say levels 1 and 2 give a +1 Str/Dex bonus, 3 and 4 give a +2 bonus, 5 gives a +3 bonus. Or maybe crafters can use tenebrium ore to enhance staves with void damage, or robes with tenebrium resistance. Or maybe they can craft skill books (non-mage).

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Don't traditional MMOs set enchanting gear as a separate "life skill" than making items?

It's kind of broken to have a mere 15 talent tree (a lot less since you can find gear with +crafting and smithing) that will allow you to create, enchant and what not any gear in the game

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
No, no, no, no... did no-one learned the lessons of BG2 with it's "XP for everything" mentality causing horrible problems, and guiding people into doing things they normally wouldn't do (picklock door having key, CHECK! :/)

@ Meme; good point.

That's were you make using a skill only level up the skill used. Using lockpick levels up lockpick. Using blacksmithing levels up blacksmithing. Its actually kind of odd they didn't go that way given the whole classless system. Usually those go hand in hand with skill based systems.

veteran
veteran
You do realise that in a system between 5-15 +3 is a MAJOR boost... I don't think any items besides maybe very very very endgame ones should give such insane boosts.

This isn't an MMO where begin items give +1 and we end with +512 on the endgame items.

Get out of your MMO mentality LordofBones and enjoy what Larian tries to give you... instead of trying to view it as Diablo with story. You'd enjoy the game a lot better, I assure you.

@ Brian (just appeared)...
Oh god, no, no, no, no, no... please no TES grinding 'improve on use' stuff. Less grind, not more grind!

Last edited by Hassat Hunter; 10/07/14 03:55 PM.
L
L
MMO? You've never played D&D before, have you?

Plus, you'd have to sink points into crafting (and neglect another skill). Hell, restrict it with item and character level. Restrict the best recipes to those who have a BASE crafting of 5. There are tons of ways to balance this, but instantly going NOPENOPENOPENOPE is hardly an answer.

Every damn time I see the term "MMO mentality", I get the feeling that people just love throwing around derogatory buzzwords. Gear progression is part and parcel of RPG games, as part of character development. Try using a level 5 sword in Hiberheim and see how well you do compared to wielding a sword of your own level. It's present in PnP, it's present in BG2, it's present in Arcanum, Gothic, Ultima, IWD, Divinity games...

veteran
veteran
D&D 2nd edition is 8-18 (regularly, with overstep to 25). 10 points, looks familiar.
Also, it was extremely scarce on giving stat points... so your point with D&D is...?

Tell me what other ability will give the same boost as +3 to a stat... heck even on multiple items on your idea. There is none, indeed.

There are tons of way to balance GOD ITEMS. Uhm, nope?

A
stranger
stranger
A
All I want them to do is change the wording of "easy" setting to "normal"

Seems like that would stop a lot of complaining.

L
L
D&D 2nd edition is 8-18 (regularly, with overstep to 25). 10 points, looks familiar.
Also, it was extremely scarce on giving stat points... so your point with D&D is...?

Tell me what other ability will give the same boost as +3 to a stat... heck even on multiple items on your idea. There is none, indeed.

There are tons of way to balance GOD ITEMS. Uhm, nope?

2e never gave you stat points at all. Want to get your wizard to cast 9th level spells? Better hope you roll 18 Int, plus your secondary stat. It's actually even a plot point with a Thayvian Zulkir in the Villain's Lorebook, who was seeking ways to get that vaunted 18 Int. Larian's using a hybrid of 2e and 3e, with ability points and feats plus stat caps.

And I have a level 15 amulet right now that gives +2 Str, +1 Int and 30% to two resistances and +1 loremaster. There's a fire skill that gives +2 Perception too.

I even mentioned gating items, so that only the most powerful items from the highest level characters could benefit from the most powerful enchantments. Christ on a stick, there's already a talent that gives you free healing when you hit something that bleeds, and up to 50% to all resistances except tenebrium, and you can get that by level 9 or 10.

If you want to talk about OP, then look at the talents and crafting possibilities in place. My Sword of Holy Flame, smithed with 4 BS, is vastly more powerful than anything I've ever found in game so far.

All Larian has to do is decide how they want to handle crafting and how to gate items with regard to Blacksmithing and crafting. Or, hell, just ignore the +3 thing and have higher level crafters be able to put random status effects on weapons.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B

@ Brian (just appeared)...
Oh god, no, no, no, no, no... please no TES grinding 'improve on use' stuff. Less grind, not more grind!

I know. Grind. OTOH it does make a whole lot more sense than randomly leveling up and suddenly getting better at underwater basket weaving by failing about with your metal toothpick. Maybe a hybrid system where you level and you get "general" points based on INT, and the other ones have to be spend on class skills.... but then you have classes which D:OS doesn't. No perfect system I guess. I just hate dipping into points I could spend on class skills to do crafting. Maybe I can just create a NPC in hall of heros to do it for me?

veteran
veteran
just hate dipping into points I could spend on class skills to do crafting.

And there is the true reason for the suggested change; a desire to have cake and eat it too. Not having to sacrifice for crafting... no you should be good in combat AND get crafting.

Well, now that the birdy is out of the cage, I think I can consider the case closed.

(Also XP is a representation of learning, and getting smarter through combat, quests and exploration makes a lot more sense than from 1 hour bunnyhopping in Morrowind)

@ LordofBones; wait a second... weren't you the person who stated before that above level 2 blacksmithing was worthless. Where does this 4BS sword come from then?

Last edited by Hassat Hunter; 10/07/14 08:44 PM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
What good is cake if I can't eat it D:

L
L

@ LordofBones; wait a second... weren't you the person who stated before that above level 2 blacksmithing was worthless. Where does this 4BS sword come from then?

Huh? I never said that. I never even mentioned anything about blacksmithing other than my 4 BS comment.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Brian Wright

OTOH it does make a whole lot more sense
Not really, how making 100 cheap iron daggers somehow makes me qualify to make an armor made of dragon bones? Is still a pretty big abstraction, AND grindy, so is objectively inferior.

Last edited by rupuka; 10/07/14 09:09 PM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by Brian Wright

That's were you make using a skill only level up the skill used. Using lockpick levels up lockpick. Using blacksmithing levels up blacksmithing. Its actually kind of odd they didn't go that way given the whole classless system. Usually those go hand in hand with skill based systems.

That is actually the best way to do skills. It makes your characters unique. Of course there would have to some sorts of limits, since no person should be able to excel in everything. That's where ES -games go wrong. You can do everything to the limit on one character, if you spend enough time.

But that kind of major change is unlikely now.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
It's funny that people who don't like crafting are the most vocal against changing it to something that crafters would enjoy more. smile

I want the cake. And to eat it too. Uneatable cake is pointless, I say!

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by MogwaiX
It's funny that people who don't like crafting are the most vocal against changing it to something that crafters would enjoy more. smile

I like crafting, your idea is awful silence

veteran
veteran
I don't make expressions XD

@ Bones; Then I guess I got you confused with someone else.

@ MogwaiX; Actually I would say that's one of the worst ways to do skills. And all games who do use it are proof enough for me why. It never works as intended, makes grindiness and in the end is purely unfun. You grind to max... and then what? You grind another skill! Oh the joy... other game plz!

Also, giving XP to a repeatable event isn't something that would just affect crafters, so yes, of course other people are going to chime in. Did you had any *other* suggestions than that for crafters (besides 'we need even more ingredients in random loot!' which I am not quite sure crafters would be fond of either)?
Also, as I always say to people, if you need XP to do something, be it killing a foe (lot of discussion in PoE on this) or crafting; YOU DON'T LIKE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. Don't try to pass it off like you do, since then you wouldn't need the extra carrot to do so.

PS. The cake is a lie, sorry.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by rupuka
Originally Posted by MogwaiX

I like crafting, your idea is awful silence

Fair enough. smile

I disagree, though.

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
Originally Posted by RtM
this game is perfect and anyone who complains is insulting Larian the religion of peace

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
I don't make expressions XD

@ Bones; Then I guess I got you confused with someone else.

@ MogwaiX; Actually I would say that's one of the worst ways to do skills. And all games who do use it are proof enough for me why. It never works as intended, makes grindiness and in the end is purely unfun. You grind to max... and then what? You grind another skill! Oh the joy... other game plz!

Also, giving XP to a repeatable event isn't something that would just affect crafters, so yes, of course other people are going to chime in. Did you had any *other* suggestions than that for crafters (besides 'we need even more ingredients in random loot!' which I am not quite sure crafters would be fond of either)?
Also, as I always say to people, if you need XP to do something, be it killing a foe (lot of discussion in PoE on this) or crafting; YOU DON'T LIKE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. Don't try to pass it off like you do, since then you wouldn't need the extra carrot to do so.

PS. The cake is a lie, sorry.

I do like crafting. So much so that I like to spend some time with it. For me it is not "grindy" (MMO term there...), it's entertaining and rewarding. I like things that make you feel that you get better at them as you do and practise them. You know, kinda like in real life.

Some of us don't craft because we want to get MAXLEVELGREAT. Some of us do it because it's fun, if the rewards are good enough, AND you get a sense of moving forward. Right now that 'sense' is partially missing.

Gaming for me isn't about HAVETOBEMAXLEVELGREAT, it's about having fun.

And the cake is real, I've tasted it!

Last edited by MogwaiX; 11/07/14 06:03 AM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard