Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by MogwaiX
Gaming for me isn't about HAVETOBEMAXLEVELGREAT, it's about having fun.
That's what the cake comment meant, that user thought that people arguing wanted MAX level in everything and that's why advocated for its on way to level it so you could spend point in other things and have high everything, you are keeping the cake (points on crafting) and eating it to (points on whatever else).
By constantly writing that you want the cake and eat it too you are saying that you don't appreciate crafting for its utility or the fun you have with it and is about min-maxing. Did you genuinely didn't knew what the metaphor meant?
You know, kinda like in real life.
You know what else is like real life? No magic, Larian please delete magic rolleyes

veteran
veteran
Good for you.

It does still raise the question why you suggested they should give XP for crafting then...
Cause; you suggested that.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by rupuka
Gaming for me isn't about HAVETOBEMAXLEVELGREAT, it's about having fun.
That's what the cake comment meant, that user thought that people arguing wanted MAX level in everything and that's why advocated for its on way to level it so you could spend point in other things and have high everything, you are keeping the cake (points on crafting) and eating it to (points on whatever else).
By constantly writing that you want the cake and eat it too you are saying that you don't appreciate crafting for its utility or the fun you have with it and is about min-maxing. Did you genuinely didn't knew what the metaphor meant?
You know, kinda like in real life.
You know what else is like real life? No magic, Larian please delete magic rolleyes

Nonono. I would be enjoying the crafting that takes nothing out of my normal adventuring life. And get better at adventuring with adventuring.

Example:

I fight a battle. I level up. Now I'm suddenly better at crafting (because I decided so), even though I only won a fight and completed some quests, which should logically not affect my crafting skills.

Wouldn't it be better that my crafting skill grows as I craft, not as I fight battles or complete quests?

That lower response... Now THAT'S a straw man.

Last edited by MogwaiX; 11/07/14 07:36 AM.
apprentice
apprentice

I fight a battle. I level up. Now I'm suddenly better at crafting (because I decided so), even though I only won a fight and completed some quests, which should logically not affect my crafting skills.
I have to ask again, how is different to most of the abilities, killing a rat and gaining bartering makes perfect sense to you?

That lower response... Now THAT'S a straw man.
Not really, you are arguing that is better because is like real life, it follow the same logic
p>q
q>r
ergo
p>r
Where q is like real life, r is better and p would be crafting as its own skill or non-magic, the premise you introduced lead both to being better

Last edited by rupuka; 11/07/14 07:51 AM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
I have to ask again, how is different to most of the abilities, killing a rat and gaining bartering makes perfect sense to you?

I never said that it did. I'm talking about crafting here. Not bartering.

Not really, you are arguing that is better because is like real life, it follow the same logic
p>q
q>r
ergo
p>r
Where q is like real life, r is better and p would be crafting as its own skill or non-magic, the premise you introduced lead both to being better

Yes it is. I was explaining my own answer with an allegory, real life. You are dismissing my answer by arguing against it with superficially similar proposition, thus suggesting that your proposition is logically somehow against my answer.

But we are not getting anywhere with this.

apprentice
apprentice

I never said that it did. I'm talking about crafting here. Not bartering.

Well why? is applicable to bartering, limiting it to crafting is arbitrary

Yes it is. I was explaining my own answer with an allegory, real life.
So you just wrote that to remind us how real life work?

Last edited by rupuka; 11/07/14 08:13 AM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Yes it is. I was explaining my own answer with an allegory, real life. You are dismissing my answer by arguing against it with superficially similar proposition, thus suggesting that your proposition is logically somehow against my answer.

But we are not getting anywhere with this.

I think rupuka is trying to show you the fallacy of your original allegory.

Is you want crafting to be more like "real life", you'd have to separate it into several branches. For example if you know how to tan hides, and you practice tanning hides, you can potentially make better hides faster, but it won't have any bearing on your ability to sew clothes for cloth armor.

This means instead of Crafting you'd need to have Tanning, Sewing, etc.

This adds unnecessary complexity to the game.

Another example is how unrealistic it is that you just find fruits and vegetables and meat everywhere and you don't need to refrigerate them to keep them fresh. It would be much more realistic if you have to grow and harvest them and they can rot. However, this game isn't designed to be Farmville.

Apparently Larian are not entirely adverse to the grind. From Beyond Divinity:

Experience an adventure that will last you over 60 hours, filled with tons of non-linear quests and offering an enormous world to explore, spread over 4 story acts. And if that's not enough for you, you can always enter the Battlefields - a randomly generated universe filled with loot, enemies and new quests.

Last edited by Halcyon; 12/07/14 05:55 PM.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard