Page 1 of 2 1 2
#513168 08/07/14 02:37 PM
Dwarf17 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi!
This really is a great game!
I am happy to drop my MMO addiction and can play D:OS now!
Nevertheless, I wonder what the patch strategy is.

I am a GOG fan, no steam here.
I downloaded the full game from GOG.
I played it.
Then 1.0.1.51 came out, I found this by accident through some issues with GOG.

Now I see by accident, that there is a 1.0.1.57 available on GOG.

Is there any place that I can access to find out when a patch is released? Or do I have to make GOG my start page to check if DOS got an update?

Also, I fear that I'll have to go through the process of uninstalling and reinstalling the game for every patch. At least, for .51 this was necessary. I can not test .57 at the moment.

So, what's the patch strategy for GOG?

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to the updates with more content!

Last edited by Dwarf17; 08/07/14 02:38 PM.
Dwarf17 #513176 08/07/14 02:44 PM
G
stranger
stranger
G
I was anti steam/origin etc for ages because I hated depending on the clients. Slow, loads of problems with corrupt games etc...

But now been using Steam mainly because of D.O.S and your always at the latest patch level with a nice news lists of the changes each time.

I think this is the only thing steam is good for. A means to rollout patches to all gamers with ease. All the rest of its features are a waste of time.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Gypsy Dave
I was anti steam/origin etc for ages because I hated depending on the clients. Slow, loads of problems with corrupt games etc...

But now been using Steam mainly because of D.O.S and your always at the latest patch level with a nice news lists of the changes each time.

I think this is the only thing steam is good for. A means to rollout patches to all gamers with ease. All the rest of its features are a waste of time.

Yeah, the patch process is nice with steam. Though Origin and Uplay can die in a river.

Dwarf17 #513206 08/07/14 03:06 PM
apprentice
apprentice
I love GOG. But they could do a better job with patching. I'm actually impressed they are keeping up as well as they are with this game. But I don't think there is a way to get a notification for this game right now. I think this is because they put themselves in a bad spot by not planning on releasing at the same time as steam - they had so much backlash they've had to cobble something together and they've ended up with a partially released game on the "my games" tab and it doesn't trigger the "updated" flag when they add a patch. Also the GOG Galaxy is supposed to have a better system that will auto patch if you want it to. I think it will get a little better when they release the game for sale and great deal better when the Galaxy integration comes on line. But for now I'd just plan on manual checks.

Last edited by bargeral; 08/07/14 03:07 PM.
Dwarf17 #513230 08/07/14 03:24 PM
veteran
veteran
Sadly, from what I know... GOG patching is utter and utter crap.
Somewhat explainable being for old games who wouldn't need any more patching again, but still.

Apparently their Galaxy will fix it in... August/September?

For now you just have to rely on 'updated' in your GOG library and re-downloading the entire game each time yeah. It's definitely not fun, but nothing Larian can do about that, that's GOG's system smirk

(And yes, usually it's behind on Steam patching by some time... making Steam/GOG compatibility difficult if you were planning on that. Should become easier once less, but bigger patches come out)

Dwarf17 #513271 08/07/14 04:06 PM
Dwarf17 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Question is, is there somewhere within the Larian Universe the patch information available?

What has been patched and what is fixed?

Might I need this .57 if I can not detect any issues so far?

I don't want to uninstall the game again, just to
* reinstall it,
* apply setup_divinity_original_sin_dlc_source_hunter_2.0.0.1.exe
* apply patch_divinity_original_sin_2.3.0.6.exe

It kind of gets boring. That does not mean that I am unhappy with many patches, I just wonder about the patch strategy as such.

AND

I really would appreciate it if the update told me up front which version I need to have install prior to patching.
To my surprise, I could install .57 over .51 from 2 days ago! Cool!

With .51 I got some error messages that I have installed the wrong version. Well, I am happy now!

T
T
Originally Posted by Gypsy Dave

You must have an awful computer and awful internet.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
Sadly, from what I know... GOG patching is utter and utter crap.
Somewhat explainable being for old games who wouldn't need any more patching again, but still.

Apparently their Galaxy will fix it in... August/September?

For now you just have to rely on 'updated' in your GOG library and re-downloading the entire game each time yeah. It's definitely not fun, but nothing Larian can do about that, that's GOG's system smirk

(And yes, usually it's behind on Steam patching by some time... making Steam/GOG compatibility difficult if you were planning on that. Should become easier once less, but bigger patches come out)

While I agree their system is antiquated, they really are the best option for owning games digitally. I am just waiting for the day when Steam folds (it can happen) leaving people with a bunch of games that have to be heavily hacked to make work (making pirating versions seem much more manageable). At least with GoG, this isn't an issue. I mean, if GoG goes out of business, people can just download the games and everything is good. I just wish I could transfer all of my games to GoG and be done with steam entirely.

Last edited by Tanist; 08/07/14 04:09 PM.
Tanist #513497 08/07/14 08:15 PM
Dwarf17 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Tanist
At least with GoG, this isn't an issue. I mean, if GoG goes out of business, people can just download the games and everything is good.

No ... if GoG goes out of business it is too late to download.
BUT you can still play the games that you have already downloaded. Thats the difference imho to stream.

Dwarf17 #513698 08/07/14 11:42 PM
GOG's latest D:OS update brings it to 1.0.57 so it's near parity with the Steam version for now (GOG have, since release, provided 3 updates so haven't been too bad on updates). KS backers also now have access to the Source Hunter DLC and other extras.

Public release of D:OS on GOG should happen during the next few hours.

Dwarf17 #513699 08/07/14 11:45 PM
A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Dwarf17
Hi!
This really is a great game!
I am happy to drop my MMO addiction and can play D:OS now!
Nevertheless, I wonder what the patch strategy is.

I am a GOG fan, no steam here.
I downloaded the full game from GOG.
I played it.
Then 1.0.1.51 came out, I found this by accident through some issues with GOG.

Now I see by accident, that there is a 1.0.1.57 available on GOG.

Is there any place that I can access to find out when a patch is released? Or do I have to make GOG my start page to check if DOS got an update?

Also, I fear that I'll have to go through the process of uninstalling and reinstalling the game for every patch. At least, for .51 this was necessary. I can not test .57 at the moment.

So, what's the patch strategy for GOG?

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to the updates with more content!

Sorry but there probably wont be a real solution. You didnt want steam because it is a form of DRM with Service - what you are asking for is pretty much steam again - a service that automatically keeps your games up to date.

I dont see how GOG could do that without starting a service like steam - which is exactly what GOG buyers dont want. Also i somehow dont see the developer integrating such a feature in the GOG-Version himself - since they would be required to buy servers etc. - which would be nonsensical considering they pay steam and Gog for that service.

Last edited by Areason; 08/07/14 11:46 PM.
Dwarf17 #513925 09/07/14 04:50 AM
Dwarf17 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Areason

Sorry but there probably wont be a real solution. You didnt want steam because it is a form of DRM with Service - what you are asking for is pretty much steam again - a service that automatically keeps your games up to date.

No, all I want is a post on a Larian forum or page saying that there's a new patch and whats in it, e.g. in the "Divinity - Original Sin - Latest News" forum.

V
stranger
stranger
V
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter

Not really true. Over the last week I applied gradually all patches as they were released there and while I had to reinstall the game once, not even once it was necessary to re-download the game itself.

Dwarf17 #515071 10/07/14 09:10 AM
A
stranger
stranger
A

No, all I want is a post on a Larian forum or page saying that there's a new patch and whats in it, e.g. in the "Divinity - Original Sin - Latest News" forum.

Why not just use the steam page where the update-news are posted?
http://steamcommunity.com/app/230230/announcements

Areason #515082 10/07/14 09:21 AM
Dwarf17 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger

Why not just use the steam page where the update-news are posted?
http://steamcommunity.com/app/230230/announcements

I consult/read the forum in regards to the game, I don't read steam or have it installed. Of course, I could do that. But It is rather sad to read on steam "new patch out" and I am unable to find it on GoG wink
I think releasing a new patch might be considered news, so if someone posts it in the Larian News it would not be the wrong place.

About the update policy, I read that the uninstall/patch issue was only with .49 to .51 (I hope the numbers are correct) where Larian rushed a patch to have it available to all players ASAP. The last patch 1.0.57 could be applied to .51 without problems, and I guess it would also would have patched the original install.

Dwarf17 #515199 10/07/14 11:18 AM
apprentice
apprentice
Only suggestion I have is don't patch to this latest patch as it (possibly along with the latest MS patches) breaks the game & stops it from starting. Do with this info what you will...

I mostly come at night...mostly.
Dwarf17 #515253 10/07/14 12:10 PM
veteran
veteran
Except for tens of thousands of people (incl. me) it doesn't...

(Reminds me of one of the users of one of my mods going "Don't install this, it has a gamebreaking bug at X"... and it turns out in the end NO-ONE but her had it, since there was no such gamebreaking bug in the mod. Since then always reminded of that when people go "DON'T BUY THIS or DON'T USE THAT" for an issue only affecting them and pretty much no-one else. Make of that what you will)

Last edited by Hassat Hunter; 10/07/14 12:12 PM. Reason: nostalgia
Nostromo #515256 10/07/14 12:15 PM
Dwarf17 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I am extremely happy with 1.0.57 from GOG.

No problem at all, not a single crash, just hours of playing the game.
Well, half the time I am sorting the inventory, or try to find where I sold that bloody grail. But that is another issue.

Dwarf17 #515260 10/07/14 12:18 PM
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Wise words Hassat smile

Dwarf17 #515263 10/07/14 12:19 PM
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
I am extremely happy with 1.0.57 from GOG.

No problem at all, not a single crash, just hours of playing the game.
Well, half the time I am sorting the inventory, or try to find where I sold that bloody grail. But that is another issue.

Also wise words smile Inventory system is a bit of pain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard