Print Thread
#513295 08/07/14 04:31 PM
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Hi!

Is there a tutorial, or any information on how to add new models or game objects to the world? Is this even possible, or are you restricted to using the canned game assets? I am dying to create a plate with some toast on it to the game! (just kidding but thats about the extend of my 3d skills)

same qeustion. I read something about beeing able to import FBX type stuff?

Join the Weresheep of Original Sin Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/WeresheepOfOriginalSin
enthusiast
enthusiast
There is a converter fbx to gr2 but not gr2 to fbx (which means we are left guessing)

But I am 3d modeler, and in my experience it's gonna be nearly impossible to import anything without having at least some source models in 3dsmax from Larian, so that we can see export settings and what we need to take into account before exporting.

It would essentially require someone reverse enginered the models in the game and tells us exactly how to create collision and how to do correct node naming... that said, since engine uses rad tools (sigh) things are extremely complicated. It's not like Skyrim where you had a script that basically did everything for you in 3dsmax (assuming you knew what to set)

N
addict
addict
N
Originally Posted by eRe4s3r
It would essentially require someone reverse enginered the models in the game and tells us exactly how to create collision and how to do correct node naming...

Collision isn't imported from the FBX mesh, it's a separate .bullet file that is generated using the Bullet Physics SDK.

I believe node naming is only important if you're using a mesh that has skeletal animations; for static meshes you only need to have one node and don't need materials at all.
(... at least if what the gr2 viewer says is believable: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32263228/dos/gr2_viewer.png)

enthusiast
enthusiast
Ehm, you say generated using the Bullet Physics SDK...but how do I do that? wink

I can find the download, but it's all some source code mumbo jumbo to me (remember, I am artist, not coder)

So If I understood you right from before..
I just export a random model from 3dsmax (I assume 1 mesh, no flipped surfaces, and triangles with smoothing, or does it support smoothing groups?) to FBX (would be neat to know what specific fbx version and settings but k*) then use the "to gr2" converter you linked in other topic, and the editor sees maybe the mesh, but it won't have collision?

That is a bit very fiddly... but mostly possible.. at least for some level geometry...

The material editor at least is mostly like any advanced material editor in cg suites ;p So there is at least that.

Last edited by eRe4s3r; 08/07/14 11:05 PM.
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I understood the word 3D... that is all.

N
addict
addict
N
Ehm, you say generated using the Bullet Physics SDK...but how do I do that? wink

I can find the download, but it's all some source code mumbo jumbo to me (remember, I am artist, not coder)

I'll make a tool for that in the near future.

So If I understood you right from before..
I just export a random model from 3dsmax (I assume 1 mesh, no flipped surfaces, and triangles with smoothing, or does it support smoothing groups?)

That is correct. I haven't seen any smoothing group support in the .gr2 files, though I may be wrong. Enabling them won't hurt, but the setting may not work after exporting to .gr2.

to FBX (would be neat to know what specific fbx version and settings but k*) then use the "to gr2" converter you linked in other topic, and the editor sees maybe the mesh, but it won't have collision?

I've used this to import FBX2013 files exported from Max (not sure about the exact version number) and they worked fine.
You have to manually assign collision to the Root Template in the editor, the mesh itself cannot contain any collision data.

Can you post the link for the gr2 covnerter again please?

N
addict
addict
N
Here it is:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32263228/lstools.zip

Currently it can only convert from FBX to GR2, but a physics asset generator and a GR2 -> something else converter is in the works smile

Last edited by Norbyte; 09/07/14 02:07 PM.
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Ya, I really appreciate the discussion, but its over my head already smile

So it sounds like 3DMax format is the one that will eventually (maybe already does) work?

N
addict
addict
N
Originally Posted by Bigcanoe
Ya, I really appreciate the discussion, but its over my head already smile

So it sounds like 3DMax format is the one that will eventually (maybe already does) work?

Yeah. I'll try to add support for more formats (no promises!)

Link Copied to Clipboard