Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
old hand
old hand
Well we know somethings work, perhaps list style items, like spells, stats etc?

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Rhidian
Originally Posted by Cameron9428
This looks great, but what if you want to remove the mod at some point, can you do that without messing up your game?

edit: nevermind, I understand now. Shame that it doesn't work on existing saved games.

From what I can tell, it's impossible for a game-save to remain viable should the mod be completely removed (unless the Mod is added back in).

Removing the Mod's folders from Data/Public and Data/Mods causes a game that relies on this mod to freeze upon loading due to missing dependencies. Removing the Module info from the Save File's Metadata in Documents results in the game declaring the Save incompatible.

Of course, this might change in the future if Larian Studios makes the main campaign (and game in general) more mod-friendly, but as of right now this is how it is.

Wait, no. As long as the mod doesn't introduce new items to the savegame (with a UUID that can only be found in the mod's folder), you CAN add / remove dependencies at will.

All you have to do is overwrite the YourGameName.lsb file in the Savegames/YourGameName folder with a clean one.

This is the case with the mod of this thread. I just tested it and it worked perfectly fine.

R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Originally Posted by Chriskang

Wait, no. As long as the mod doesn't introduce new items to the savegame (with a UUID that can only be found in the mod's folder), you CAN add / remove dependencies at will.

All you have to do is overwrite the YourGameName.lsb file in the Savegames/YourGameName folder with a clean one.

This is the case with the mod of this thread. I just tested it and it worked perfectly fine.

What exactly do you mean by a 'clean' one? I've tried removing the mod info in the MyGameName.lsb file via lstools which leads to an incompatible save file.

Edit: Actually, any observations I make right now are probably inaccurate due to me having the fake-Cyseal level from earlier.

Last edited by Rhidian; 09/07/14 11:47 AM.
stranger
stranger

What exactly do you mean by a 'clean' one? I've tried removing the mod info in the MyGameName.lsb file via lstools which leads to an incompatible save file.

Create a new modded game
Play
Save it as "ModdedGame"
Go to main menu
Go to mods
Deselect all mods
Create a new game, this one will be non-modded
Save it as "NonModdedGame"
Quit game
Go to /MyDoc/Larian/DOS/PlayerProfiles/YourName/Savegames
Overwrite this file:
* ModdedGame/ModdedGGame.lsb
with this file:
* NonModdedGame/NonModdedGame.lsb
At this point, your savegame named "ModdedGGame" has no more dependency. Your can even remove the files from your Divinity installation

May I ask what is this lstools you're talking about? It seams interesting.

R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Hrm, I'll have to test that later. I would think there would be issues with levels at least due to that being part of the metadata.

lstools is the unpacking tool in this thread: http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=505777#Post505777

stranger
stranger
Hrm, I'll have to test that later. I would think there would be issues with levels at least due to that being part of the metadata.

This is precisely why I said "as long as the mod doesn't add items / characters". The "Infinite Use Skillbooks" mod only changes a few parameters from existing templates so it's fine to add/remove it.

Thanks for the link. I wish I knew about it before. I wouldn't have written my own lsb parser...

R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Well I'll be, I stand corrected. It works and it is beautiful.

This changes things. With mods that only change RootTemplates (that we know of so far), it is possible to:
1) Merge multiple RootTemplate mods into a single mod that is used by the game
2) Effectively uninstall the mod from a save-file by over-writing its MetaData with an un-modded save MetaData
3) Install the mod into an *existing* game-save, so that the change can be implemented without restarting the campaign. Again this is done by over-writing the MetaData of the existing save with one from a new game that has the mod enabled.

We need to make a tutorial on this.

old hand
old hand

Which skill book is disappearing when traded between characters? I only modified a single property on the skill books and was able to transfer a Minor Heal book between two characters, so I don't see what could be the issue.

Just saw this, I was testing it with the captain of the ship outside of Cyseal. It was Burning Touch, my wizard bought it but if I gave it to my battlemage it would disappear.

R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Hrm, I'm not able to replicate this. I installed the mod onto my main playthrough and was able to transfer (and use) a Minor Heal and Burning Touch skillbook between my main two characters.

old hand
old hand
Hrm, I'm not able to replicate this. I installed the mod onto my main playthrough and was able to transfer (and use) a Minor Heal and Burning Touch skillbook between my main two characters.

Thanks, I'll test more later.

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
I can't load any savegames after updating 1.0.63. Has anyone else tried already?. I thought the mod still uses 1.0.57 perhaps.

R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Originally Posted by gastovski
I can't load any savegames after updating 1.0.63. Has anyone else tried already?. I thought the mod still uses 1.0.57 perhaps.

The mod is still based off of 1.0.57 but that shouldn't matter; I am able to load my save games that use the mod.

I think the issue is more with 1.0.63 rather than with mods. Other people in the Technical Issues forum are having the same problem with loading savegames after the patch.

old hand
old hand
FWIW. I have Speed, Skillbook and Lockpicks in one mod, saves are still good after latest patch. Nothing had to be done on my end.

F
stranger
stranger
F
Hi there! First off, I wanted to say thanks for the mod. It's very useful since I like to change my builds around a lot.

I've also run into the "give a skill book to another party member and it gets used" issue. I bought a Boulder Bash book from Arhu and it is used after trading it.

I keep a bag in my inventory just to organize my skill books, so I pulled those out and none of them got used either. So I don't know what exactly triggers these skill books that aren't affected by the mod. I even bought a different Boulder Bash book from him, and that one got used too. But the poison dart book I bought worked fine.

It's not a huge deal, I'm just curious about what causes this issue. What makes these skill books "special?"

Edit:

Just found another Boulder Bash skill book in a chest, it also disappeared when I used it.

Last edited by frozenwings; 12/07/14 05:45 AM.
stranger
stranger

Last edited by SieB; 12/07/14 11:44 AM.
R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Originally Posted by frozenwings
Hi there! First off, I wanted to say thanks for the mod. It's very useful since I like to change my builds around a lot.

I've also run into the "give a skill book to another party member and it gets used" issue. I bought a Boulder Bash book from Arhu and it is used after trading it.

I keep a bag in my inventory just to organize my skill books, so I pulled those out and none of them got used either. So I don't know what exactly triggers these skill books that aren't affected by the mod. I even bought a different Boulder Bash book from him, and that one got used too. But the poison dart book I bought worked fine.

It's not a huge deal, I'm just curious about what causes this issue. What makes these skill books "special?"

Edit:

Just found another Boulder Bash skill book in a chest, it also disappeared when I used it.

There is always the possibility that I missed a Skill book when I was making the changes, since I had to click through 120+ Skillbooks in the Editor. This could explain a book disappearing when used (since that's what books do normally without the mod).

I don't know what could cause Skillbooks to disappear upon being traded though.

Edit:
Hrm, the Editor refers to Boulder Bash as "BoulderDash". In my mod at least, that book (BoulderDash) is set so that it's not consumed on use, so I have no idea what's going on.

Last edited by Rhidian; 12/07/14 02:34 PM.
R
stranger
stranger
R
Yeah both the lockpicking mod and the book mod aren't working for me.

[Linked Image]

I put this in, activated the mod. Created a new save with that mod on it.

Then I went into my saves and moved over the named .lsb from the new saved modded game to my old save.

I renamed it to identically match the original (unmodded) save. I loaded up the game and when it starts up I see it saying its loading the mod as well as the rest of the content.

But in game both my lockpicks break and my books are consumed on use. :o!

Any ideas? [Using latest legal build of Divinity through steam, http://steamcommunity.com/id/ricopenguin/ ]

R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
You need to be putting the RootTemplates folder in the Data/Public/%Modified Main/ folder rather than what you currently have it at (Data/Mods/%Modified Main/)

R
stranger
stranger
R
You need to be putting the RootTemplates folder in the Data/Public/%Modified Main/ folder rather than what you currently have it at (Data/Mods/%Modified Main/)

That'll do it. I swore I read the instructions correctly but I was flat friggen wrong.

This is why I like to ask questions.

Thanks a ton Rhidian.

Dunno if you are taking notes from people but Magical Poison Arrow is still consumed smile. Otherwise most appear to be good.

Last edited by Rico the Penguin; 12/07/14 11:41 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
I've also found some issues with the skill book Boulder Bash. On two separate occasions, I've used Boulder Bash then transferred it to my other character, and it disappears after the second use.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard