Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Malakh Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
I have my main's as a Rogue/Ranger and Wizard, I have the two companions.

Both spell casters are great, doing all sorts of cool combos. Madora ram charges in and whirlwinds the hell out everything... her only flaw is that she gets a lot of freiendly fire from all the AOE that the wizards are dishing out, but Leech goes a long way to mitigating that.

But Rogue/Archer - underwhelming. I have both the Ranger and Rogue skills that let me teleport behind opponents and backstab. but even with just 2Ap per attack, as opposed to the two-handed 4ap, I am not doing anywhere near the same damage, and the bow is incredibly low damage, even with the specialized arrows, which are really just a poor man's wizard.

Anyone have any advice, other than respeccing my Rogue/Ranger to either a Knight or a Wizard?

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
I have a ranger/rogue, and correct in act 1 his backstabs are more or less like the twohanded attack. But am now level 10 in act 2, and the rogues damage has surpassed the twohander in damage. So it gets stronger faster and will become high(est) damage.

I usually use ricochet or barrage as I move towards the fight. Then go rogue. I like that I can jump out to safety if need be and switch to bow and plink away while I heal. The special arrows I use situationally and they are a good asset to have.

M
Malakh Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Ok, that is good to know. What contributes to the increase in damage in Act2? Is it that the weapons get better? because there isn't a skill that seems to increase backstab damage as far as I can tell...

S
stranger
stranger
S
I finished game with my ranger/rogue and he would always be weaker than any wizz character, even when he do some nice solo target damage. This is just balance problem, nothing u can do about.

old hand
old hand

Your problem is expecting every build to have same damage output and not realizing or understanding that you are actually supposed to play in a way where your team members play off off each other and strengthen each other.

journeyman
journeyman
I use a ranger. I've upgraded her bow and now she deals some pretty good damage. Also upgrade their marksmanship when you can as it reduces how often they miss.

I use her to take on the enemies ranged fighters and to target their mages for damage. I almost never involve her in targeting melee fighters. I am also in the process of boosting her rogue skills. I've found her pretty valuable in fights so far even if she deals less damage than Madora but that's too be expected in range vs melee.

M
M
The rogues purpose isn't and should never be straight monstrous damage. That being said... beef up crossbow and get the ranger skill "Arrow Spray".

OH MY GOD... it turns my crossbow into a Tommy Gun. If you get up on a boss in melee you will almost certainly devastate them. Right now I do on average about 800 damage a pop if I land all the arrows on a single target.

old hand
old hand
It's not just about pure damage but also the ability to lock down certain targets. If you have marksman and scoundrel abilities, then skills like charm, lacerate, trip, and blind are also important weapons in your arsenal. Light armor spellcasters wet themselves when they see my rogue/ranger coming. wink

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Windemere
It's not just about pure damage but also the ability to lock down certain targets. If you have marksman and scoundrel abilities, then skills like charm, lacerate, trip, and blind are also important weapons in your arsenal. Light armor spellcasters wet themselves when they see my rogue/ranger coming. wink

My Rogue/Ranger hybrid is the best at locking down single targets plus massive burst damage through backstab plus high utility through arrows working in tandem with my two mages.

Such an awesome character imho.

A
aad Offline
stranger
stranger
A
Are you using guerrilla talent with sneak for double damage on your ranger? Guerrilla + Sneak + Range power stance + oath of Desecration does a lot of range damage and it's pretty easy to sneak as a ranger since you're so far away.

I feel like the later you get into the game the damage pyramid looks more like this: Rogue highest DPS, then 2-handed fighter, then ranger, then mage.

Mage however has a ton of utility and tops damage early and mid game.

Last edited by aad; 09/07/14 02:13 PM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
I have not tried out yet, but I was thinking of give a go with Ranger who took just 2 levels of Scoundrel for: Fast Track - Walk in Shadows - Charming Touch - Self Medicate (maybe 3 for Cloak and Dagger)

Strategy would be to Walk in Shadows - Charming Touch - Tactical Retreat to escape to safe distance, use arrows as they come.

Link Copied to Clipboard