Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
stranger
stranger
V
Originally Posted by Brian Wright
Originally Posted by Tanist

Originally Posted by Kurochi

Another is an unexplained item that you were conditioned to pick up (Always pickup loot, at no point does the game say "this loot is poisoned or will kill you or analyze loot skill) that will eventually lead to your annoyance or death.

Was a surprise wasn't it? Nice when games have surprises I think, good or bad. /shrug

Sure, but it would be nice to have a loremaster/perception check to warn you that picking it up would do bad things. Most games I can remember would warn you about cursed items if you had the ability to ID them.

But there was a host of conversations that clued me in. Tenebrium poisons you and you get rot, you learn that in Silverglen, then the enemies tell you it is made of Tenebrium but yes, you do have to pass a check. In most of my matches I am 6 v. whatever, meaning I only have to win twice and I don't remember investing in it, just counting it as a valuable stat for my leader when itemizing.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S

Another is an unexplained item that you were conditioned to pick up (Always pickup loot, at no point does the game say "this loot is poisoned or will kill you or analyze loot skill) that will eventually lead to your annoyance or death.

Was a surprise wasn't it? Nice when games have surprises I think, good or bad. /shrug

Sure, but it would be nice to have a loremaster/perception check to warn you that picking it up would do bad things. Most games I can remember would warn you about cursed items if you had the ability to ID them.

There are RPGs that also killed team members off in the middle of the story. Did you complain about the game not warning you to take all your equipment off the character, too?

old hand
old hand
Anyone tried doing it with high Lore or perception?

Anyone has any reason to push Lore higher then two points that are easy to get from gear?

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by Songbird
There are RPGs that also killed team members off in the middle of the story. Did you complain about the game not warning you to take all your equipment off the character, too?

There is a difference between the game hinting that you should be aware of something and popping a dialogue box telling you that something is about to happen. Foreshadowing is a useful story element.

addict
addict
Baldur's Gate: simply talking to a nymph on one of the costal maps makes her kiss you and kill you. If you talk to her with your main char, it's game over, you have to reload.

No warning whatsoever.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Others have already posted there is a lot of chatter about the rot in silverglen. The immaculate that drops it herself suggests that controlling one of those creatures required something "special".

What other foreshadowing do you want other than a dialogue box popping up with "careful, sh*t is going down"?

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T

I agree to an extent, but this could have very well been an item that is undetectable by such skills. I am sure you remember various modules in AD&D where a given item was an "exception" to the skill system and required special checks only available to the module or a given situation (ie a charm check to get the person to tell you).

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see layered skill applications as you mention, but there are sometimes where the GM takes liberty in the story in order to preserve the surprise.

My pen and paper games where comprised of engineers, physicists, chemists, etc... if the GM were entirely confined to the rules of the book specifically, the games would have ended up quite boring.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by EinTroll
Baldur's Gate: simply talking to a nymph on one of the costal maps makes her kiss you and kill you. If you talk to her with your main char, it's game over, you have to reload.

No warning whatsoever.

Worst game ever!!! Wait... oh... umm... uhh... Not fair!!!!

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Others have already posted there is a lot of chatter about the rot in silverglen. The immaculate that drops it herself suggests that controlling one of those creatures required something "special".

What other foreshadowing do you want other than a dialogue box popping up with "careful, sh*t is going down"?

Maybe something like:

{Pause}

[You are currently in a situation where you might make a bad decision]

[The item you acquired may or may not prove to be harmful to your character]

[You appear to be equipping the item, are you sure this is what you want to do as this action may or may not result in a detrimental effect to you character]

[You have just equipped the item, if this was not intended, please --click here-- if you do not wish to receive the detrimental effect that you were warned about previously]

If that is the case, well... Bethesda I hear makes wonderful games for such.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
[
I agree to an extent, but this could have very well been an item that is undetectable by such skills. I am sure you remember various modules in AD&D where a given item was an "exception" to the skill system and required special checks only available to the module or a given situation (ie a charm check to get the person to tell you).

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see layered skill applications as you mention, but there are sometimes where the GM takes liberty in the story in order to preserve the surprise.

My pen and paper games where comprised of engineers, physicists, chemists, etc... if the GM were entirely confined to the rules of the book specifically, the games would have ended up quite boring.

Sure. Just more options to use the stats of combat is always cool. Always seems that games focus so much on combat that you don't get a lot of reasons to develop non combat traits. DOS seems to be doing pretty well with that in general.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Lol I wish my real life came with that many warnings when I'm about to do something stupid laugh

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T

Sure. Just more options to use the stats of combat is always cool. Always seems that games focus so much on combat that you don't get a lot of reasons to develop non combat traits. DOS seems to be doing pretty well with that in general.

I blame the years of "action" focus on games. All the subtle systems of conversation and world interaction were lost on the companies whose main focus was fast play and flashy visuals.

Bioware attempted to bring about depth in conversational RPG aspects initially (Old Republic, Jade Empire), but unfortunately the AAA studios took over and turned them into nothing more than teenage dating simulators.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Lol I wish my real life came with that many warnings when I'm about to do something stupid laugh

Yeah, how many times do you wish you got a warning for something you were about to say that would anger your wife? Man... if you could market and sell that, you would be the richest person on the planet!

K
Kurochi Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
K
Originally Posted by EinTroll

No warning whatsoever.

Yes but baldurs gate is ... what?.... 15 years old? Also, the annoying thing is that you are used to picking up enemy loot and all of the sudden that kills you and you have to redo the fight. While talking to a nymph... well... if you talk to a sex-crazed demon I would have saved...

S
S
This is cruel prank? I'll tell you what's cruel. Devs told us that every character is killable.

So try to kill most annyoing character in game - damn Zixzax. He is lvl 24 (or 26, dont remember), but I'm ok with this. He has more AP than my whole party combined, but I'm ok with this. He is Very Important Char, so he should be strong.

But when after really long and tough fight, you'll finaly succeed and kill him... He will just respawn. Yup. He is fkin immortal. So much for dev's promises.

Why I'm even playing this game, when this damn immortal imp could go and kill all of the bad guys himself? Coz, you know, he is immortal? And they can't kill him? But instead this half-god send bunch of weak humans to save the world. Is he just lazy, or wtf? This is kinda retarded.

K
Kurochi Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
K
Originally Posted by Shaki
This is cruel prank? I'll tell you what's cruel. Devs told us that every character is killable.

So try to kill most annyoing character in game - damn Zixzax. He is lvl 24 (or 26, dont remember), but I'm ok with this. He has more AP than my whole party combined, but I'm ok with this. He is Very Important Char, so he should be strong.

But when after really long and tough fight, you'll finaly succeed and kill him... He will just respawn. Yup. He is fkin immortal. So much for dev's promises.

Why I'm even playing this game, when this damn immortal imp could go and kill all of the bad guys himself? Coz, you know, he is immortal? And they can't kill him? But instead this half-god send bunch of weak humans to save the world. Is he just lazy, or wtf? This is kinda retarded.

Hm, firstly he is clearly insane. Secondly, its quiet possible he can only be immortal so long as he is in the End of Time.. if you notice, weird things happen in the place. Also you're main characters are some sort of destined people do their mission. They're the only ones the weaver of time ever spoke to and blood stones react to them. Which implies the Imp would not succeed as it's not his destiny.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Shaki
But when after really long and tough fight, you'll finaly succeed and kill him... He will just respawn. Yup. He is immortal. So much for dev's promises.

They never promised they'd stay dead. wink

K
stranger
stranger
K
Btw, if you use the "Death wand" on Volde.... I meant "the guardian" you'll one shot him. (Btw "the guardian" looks exactly like the monster you just killed before picking up the wand.

K
Kurochi Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
K
Originally Posted by Kaltrun
Btw, if you use the "Death wand" on Volde.... I meant "the guardian" you'll one shot him. (Btw "the guardian" looks exactly like the monster you just killed before picking up the wand.

Oh cool, didn't know, doesn't have any description why would I use it on the guardian?... I just teleported him to lava and insta killed him.

addict
addict
Good to know that's how to kill that guardian. I beat on him for 30 minutes.

It really doesn't matter how many warnings you get, people are still going to pick it up because they are going to think that they need it for something. No one is going to just leave it. The only solution I can think of is if your character opens the special chest you have just for that ore and they put that wand directly into the chest. Not sure that's even possible without touching the wand though. And of course if you did do that and avoided getting rot, can you still use it on the guardian?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard