Next Thread
Print Thread
#516108 11/07/14 04:26 AM
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
When creating a character, why do you have the ability to choose a class and then change literally everything about that class? Example: I could have a wizard who doesn't know any magic whatsoever and is clearly a knight heavily invested in armor/melee but will still be listed as a wizard.

It seems to me the only thing the class determines is the starting armor and weapon and that's it. If you are going to have classes, wouldn't it make more sense to have a "custom class" option and lock the other classes to their presets?

I understand people might want to customize the preset classes but their should be strict limits on what people can do.
Example: If you want a wizard/rogue that's fine but he should still be a wizard at his core. Nobody wants to see a knight who is listed as a wizard or an enchanter listed as a ranger.

PS: Also, please give us the option to choose our starting equipment/weapons/armor when making a custom class.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by BigWyrm67

I understand people might want to customize the preset classes but their should be strict limits on what people can do.

Why? How is the current system any different than having an arbitrary extra classed named Custom and locking all the current classes?

The classes are just starting points, as they should be. They are customizable because there is no reason for them not to be. And they exist for RP reasons.

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
They're class presets, and they serve their purpose.

They are there to give beginners an idea of what stats, equipment, talents and skills such a class should have. Yet they are not restrictive to say "NO, you must be an intelligent wizard with THESE spells!" like a lot of these modern RPGs.

It's just game design 101, imagine how daunting it would be to have a nude character with all stats at zero, having the game imply "sort yourself out". "How much is too much strength to begin with? What does Perception actually do? There are so many talents... what should I use? Requires 5 points in man-of-arms? What does that mean? Should I put them all down? Clearly this heavy armour protects me more than the light armour... is that movement penalty too big?"

Why bother with a custom class when, as you said, you can already fully customise any class? If you want one that bad, a simple mod could fix that.

Last edited by Kurochi; 11/07/14 04:37 AM.
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
"They are there to give beginners an idea of what stats, equipment, talents and skills such a class should have."

So basically your saying that the only purpose classes serve is to be a half-assed tutorial for noobs?

Last edited by BigWyrm67; 11/07/14 04:51 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
"They are there to give beginners an idea of what stats, equipment, talents and skills such a class should have."

So basically your saying that the only purpose classes serve is the be a half-assed tutorial for noobs?

No, they are a starting point.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J

So basically your saying that the only purpose classes serve is to be a half-assed tutorial for noobs?

Nope, he said the classes are a starting point to give a player an idea of what abilities, traits and stat points align well together. Consider them outlines of basic playstyles.

veteran
veteran
They are PRESETS. Nothing more, nothing less.

Link Copied to Clipboard