Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
enthusiast
enthusiast
is this a troll post lol

veteran
veteran
Man-at-arms is a technical/historical term, not a gender term. Use a dictionary next time before making pointless complaints.

Or just play Bioware games... hahaha

WOOS
S
stranger
stranger
S
Y'all posting in a troll thread ...

stranger
stranger
Gotta do something to kill time at work, amirite? :P

The only constant in time is change
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Sin316
Y'all posting in a troll thread ...

I'm sure it's not a troll thread but a serious, well thought-out concern that... oh God, I can't even be bothered to finish this sentence.

Yes.

J'aime le fromage.
addict
addict
Exactly. I was wondering when people would catch on that this isn't a serious thread.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by EinTroll
Exactly. I was wondering when people would catch on that this isn't a serious thread.

We're bored, sorry. meh

WOOS
K
apprentice
apprentice
K
All these social justice people often forget one thing... it's only been about 80 years women have been part of the economy. So all these names have a historical background for jobs which were all done by men. Also in the 1950s only 5% of students were women, in my old law course 85% were women. Most rich people are men but they are also old, if you give these women time, I guarantee the so called "wage gap" will be equalised.

Point is, changing these names would only be pretentious political correctness.

M
Mr. C Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Completely not a troll thread. Is there something you guys find deeply offensive about using gender neutral language to determine skills?

I mean I don't think my suggestions were especially terrible.. Paladin, Combatant, etc etc.. Why do you *need* for it to remain man-at-arms when gender neutral alternatives are completely viable?

addict
addict
Do actual women (i.e. no femi-nazis) share your thoughts on the matter?

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
T
stranger
stranger
T
Larian has given you all the code to the game. Nothing is encrypted and no DRM. If you don;t like something in this game, then just change it yourself.

I really don't understand.....

S
stranger
stranger
S
the OP's name is "Mr. C" and i can just imagine what the C stands for lol.

A troll. Nothing more. Aka an attention W.... .

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Mr. C
Completely not a troll thread. Is there something you guys find deeply offensive about using gender neutral language to determine skills?

Yes, I do. I hate the whole political correctness discussion in gaming. Let the developers do whatever they like and let them name elements however they like. Make your own game if you want all that stuff to be important.

I would ask myself why I find "man-at-arms" offensive if I were you. I'm sure 99% of all women playing this game have absolutely no problem with the term.

WOOS
K
apprentice
apprentice
K
Originally Posted by LordCrash
Originally Posted by Mr. C

Yes, I do. I hate the whole political correctness discussion in gaming. Let the developers do whatever they like and let them name elements however they like. Make your own game if you want all that stuff to be important.

I would ask myself why I find "man-at-arms" offensive if I were you. I'm sure 99% of all women playing this game have absolutely no problem with the term.

Asked my girlfriend whom is a warrior. She said "What?... It's a historical term, I don't care, never stopped me from being a man-of-arms." I tried to ask her more about how she feels and if she would prefer a gender neutral name like "warrior" but she gave me the "Stop being stupid" look.

Last edited by Kurochi; 11/07/14 05:58 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by EinTroll
Do actual women (i.e. no femi-nazis) share your thoughts on the matter?

Well I've already replied. I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't care. I do care about unnecessarily contrived language, though...

J'aime le fromage.
V
apprentice
apprentice
V
I pity these brainwashed fools taught to be offended at everything they see. It's clearly a learned irrational behavior. They are always angry about something. It's really pathetic.

U
stranger
stranger
U
Originally Posted by Kurochi
Asked my girlfriend whom is a warrior.

I don't think anyone nowadays is actually a warrior. If she's in the military, she's a soldier.

Originally Posted by Rhidian
"This is going to be interesting."

I think the better question is why are the skills called Man-at-Arms, Expert Marksman, and Scoundrel when the game files refer to those skills as Warrior's Lore, Ranger Lore, and Rogue Lore respectively?

This part, at least, is an artifact of the skill system's development. They were shown as "Way of the Warrior/Ranger/Rogue" until a few beta versions before release, and at that point they did not govern the number of skills known in each category; instead they provided various benefits that were subsequently made into traits under the current model.

The varying names also fit with the rest of that category: there you also have relatively convoluted but differentiated terms like aerotheurge and hydrosophist instead of "Air Magic" and "Water Magic".

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Unwerth
Originally Posted by Kurochi
Asked my girlfriend whom is a warrior.

I don't think anyone nowadays is actually a warrior. If she's in the military, she's a soldier.

Was that intended to be funny?

WOOS
S
S
OP is completely right. This game is also racist - Why there is nearly 0 black NPCs? Only whites everywhere. Homophobic - Only one gay couple in whole game!!!! And offensive to midgets - There is race of small human-like creatures known as "imps", and they're portrayed as slaves and cowards. Why? Because they're short? Devs clearly should learn some tolerance.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard