Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Germany
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Germany
Originally Posted by Shaki
OP is completely right. This game is also racist - Why there is nearly 0 black NPCs? Only whites everywhere.

Jahan is black... rolleyes

Quote
Homophobic - Only one gay couple in whole game!!!!

There is a gay couple in the game? aargh

Quote
And offensive to midgets - There is race of small human-like creatures known as "imps", and they're portrayed as slaves and cowards. Why? Because they're short? Devs clearly should learn some tolerance.

No, that's only Larian teasing the RPG codex, this bunch of pesky imps... hahaha

Last edited by LordCrash; 11/07/14 06:35 PM.

WOOS
Joined: Apr 2014
K
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
K
Joined: Apr 2014
Originally Posted by Unwerth
Originally Posted by Kurochi
Asked my girlfriend whom is a warrior.


I don't think anyone nowadays is actually a warrior. If she's in the military, she's a soldier.


Not sure if being funny or really clueless...

I mean my girlfriend... who I co-op the game with, she has a knight as her main-character.

Joined: Jun 2014
M
Mr. C Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
M
Joined: Jun 2014
No one's answered my question as to why they're so resistant to giving the name a gender neutral one...

Joined: Jul 2014
H
stranger
Offline
stranger
H
Joined: Jul 2014
Many of the replies here are sexist / demeaning to women... but the term Man at Arms, is not. In the real world it was the name of an actual profession used during the medieval ages and even for awhile afterward... it was the name for what we today call / know as "soldier".

The game using a real world profession name does not make it sexist.

Joined: Jul 2014
D
stranger
Offline
stranger
D
Joined: Jul 2014
This topic was pretty embarrassing to read through. Man-at-Arms should be a non-issue, though I certainly wouldn't care if it was changed.

Last edited by DekarTheDragoon; 11/07/14 07:39 PM.
Joined: Jul 2014
S
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
S
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by Hathur
Many of the replies here are sexist / demeaning to women... but the term Man at Arms, is not. In the real world it was the name of an actual profession used during the medieval ages and even for awhile afterward... it was the name for what we today call / know as "soldier".

The game using a real world profession name does not make it sexist.


Actually we live in a pretty funny world where you are no longer allowed to use words like stewardess and secretary even though they were actual professions. Now it's flight attendant and administrative assistant.

Joined: Oct 2013
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2013
Originally Posted by Mr. C
No one's answered my question as to why they're so resistant to giving the name a gender neutral one...


Well, I didn't want to answer honestly but.. you sound like you are asking without wanting to troll....

Because the only gender issue with the word is the one *you* have with it. If anything you need to stop seeing sexism in words, because I assure you, nobody else reading Man-At-Arms thinks that's only males... that's just you.

You have to understand this, to us the word includes females because it describes non gender specific skills of a medieval troop type. Just like soldiers and warriors can be females too... in our minds there is no separation between female and male in these terms. That is YOU making this separation.

This is also pretty much why I never take these topics seriously wink

And aside, Man-At-Arms is historical. It gives D:OS some flair.

Joined: Jul 2014
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Jul 2014
Imma MAN! Ah use man-at-arms 'cause Ah'm a man's man! The OP jus' finds it offensive cause he... will never be... as manly... as MEH! *Headbutts a wall then flexes*

Joined: Apr 2013
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Apr 2013
Originally Posted by LordCrash
Originally Posted by Unwerth
Originally Posted by Kurochi
Asked my girlfriend whom is a warrior.


I don't think anyone nowadays is actually a warrior. If she's in the military, she's a soldier.

Was that intended to be funny?


Actually, I tend to agree with that. I dislike the term "warrior", as I perceive it as defining someone who fights solely for the sake of fighting. A soldier, on the other hand, is someone who fights for duty and service. Not a matter of being PC (unlike the OP), just my viewpoint.

Joined: Jul 2014
S
stranger
Offline
stranger
S
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by Jito463
Originally Posted by LordCrash
Originally Posted by Unwerth
Originally Posted by Kurochi
Asked my girlfriend whom is a warrior.


I don't think anyone nowadays is actually a warrior. If she's in the military, she's a soldier.

Was that intended to be funny?


Actually, I tend to agree with that. I dislike the term "warrior", as I perceive it as defining someone who fights solely for the sake of fighting. A soldier, on the other hand, is someone who fights for duty and service. Not a matter of being PC (unlike the OP), just my viewpoint.


u stupid or what? She plays warrior in the game.

Joined: Jul 2014
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Jul 2014
Discrimination and bigotry in the term "Man-at-arms," perpetrated by Larian? Sorry, not really buying it. Get a thicker skin.

Discrimination and bigotry in the first page of this thread, perpetrated by the community here? Definitely buying it. Some of you folks should feel horrible about yourselves.

Joined: Apr 2013
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Apr 2013
I misinterpreted, based on the quote from Unwerth. My bad.

However, there was no call for flinging insults.

Joined: Mar 2003
A
veteran
Offline
veteran
A
Joined: Mar 2003
Originally Posted by rk47
Bullock Rush, baby.


Sandra ?

Originally Posted by ScrotieMcB
Discrimination and bigotry in the term "Man-at-arms," perpetrated by Larian? Sorry, not really buying it. Get a thicker skin.


I once took the term "Godfather" literally ... Until I had learned what it *really* meant ... It gave the famous movie a certain twist ...

So, to any of you who are insulting the original poster withz sexist terms like "go into your kitchen" : You were seemingly not able to think of the possibility that the person might have taken the term "men-at-arms" quite literally ?

And, besides, it's very, very sad to see how this forum has evolved ... Reactions like I've seen in this thread here is something I know almost too well from the SWTOR forums ... But they clearly weren't possible at all in the very beginning of the Larian forums ... But you would have preferred to destroy the "ice" and almostz "cosy" athmosphere in the early forums anyway, because "modern" gamers just LOVE to destroy that ... because "nice" and "cosy" does not mean "manly" ... Go to TV Tropes and look up the words "rated M for manly" and "testosterone poisoning" there ...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RatedMForManly
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TestosteronePoisoning


Now, this forum here is no better than all the other acidic, aggressive game forums out there ... sad times ...

And NOW you'll clearly write : "Grow a thicker skin" ... Says the hooligan ...



Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 11/07/14 09:00 PM.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
Joined: Oct 2013
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2013
Sorry, but if Mr C was honestly wondering about this then that was also answered in this topic wink

What's really killing forum atmosphere is people drawing generalizing conclusions and bashing an entire forum over a few replies to a topic that has more than a few ,p Which surely was not your intention, but when you say "this forum" you are in fact generalizing an entire group of people of various kinds in 1 pot.

"guilty by association" is not something I accept.

Either way, the internet is full of trolls and this topic isn't new, I am gonna assume Mr. C had innocent intentions... but not everyone does that anymore.

Joined: Jul 2014
Location: The Netherlands
member
Offline
member
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Mr. C
Couldn't you have found a more inclusive term for the skill set? Something a little less demeaning and sexist?

If you think it's not demeaning and sexist tell me you wouldn't at least notice if it was termed "woman-at-arms".

Hell... you could've gone with fighter or combatant Holy Warrior or best of all Paladin "because the whole skill set screams d&d paladin".

Just something a little less demeaning and exclusionary of women.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-at-arms

There's nothing demeaning or sexist about it. No offense, but instead of trying to be some feminist extremist, you should get a life. Just because some word or sentence contains the word 'man' doesn't mean women are left out of the equation. You're acting like a victim of a crime that was never committed.

Joined: Jun 2014
K
member
Offline
member
K
Joined: Jun 2014
Originally Posted by Mr. C
Couldn't you have found a more inclusive term for the skill set? Something a little less demeaning and sexist?

If you think it's not demeaning and sexist tell me you wouldn't at least notice if it was termed "woman-at-arms".

Hell... you could've gone with fighter or combatant Holy Warrior or best of all Paladin "because the whole skill set screams d&d paladin".

Just something a little less demeaning and exclusionary of women.

Ha, nice attempt, won't fool me though.
[Linked Image]

Joined: Jun 2014
K
member
Offline
member
K
Joined: Jun 2014
Originally Posted by Gotcha!

There's nothing demeaning or sexist about it. No offense, but instead of trying to be some feminist extremist, you should get a life. Just because some word or sentence contains the word 'man' doesn't mean women are left out of the equation. You're acting like a victim of a crime that was never committed.


You're gonna get a kick out of this.
wo-man
[Linked Image]

Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Netherlands
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Netherlands
[Linked Image]

Joined: Jun 2014
Z
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Z
Joined: Jun 2014
Talking about gender issues on a gaming forum is grounds to be immediately dismissed and called a feminist extremist by people who don't understand feminism, extreme or otherwise. You picked a losing battle, Mr. C.

Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Netherlands
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Netherlands
Originally Posted by Zozma
Talking about gender issues on a gaming forum is grounds to be immediately dismissed and called a feminist extremist by people who don't understand feminism, extreme or otherwise. You picked a losing battle, Mr. C.

Especially a losing battle for picking man-at-arms as argument...

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5