Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Joined: Jun 2014
Z
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Z
Joined: Jun 2014
Originally Posted by MrGrim
Originally Posted by Zozma
Talking about gender issues on a gaming forum is grounds to be immediately dismissed and called a feminist extremist by people who don't understand feminism, extreme or otherwise. You picked a losing battle, Mr. C.

Especially a losing battle for picking man-at-arms as argument...


I wouldn't have recommended it, myself. I advocate gender neutral phrasing as a rule, and it's always worth *talking* about, but this particular example isn't something I personally have a problem with . These things ought to be discussed, but a lot of the people here would rather prove how much more misogynistic they are than the topic at hand.

Last edited by Zozma; 20/07/14 09:55 PM.
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Netherlands
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Netherlands
Originally Posted by Zozma


I wouldn't have recommended it, myself. I advocate gender neutral phrasing as a rule, and it's always worth *talking* about, but this particular example isn't something I personally have a problem with . These things ought to be discussed, but a lot of the people here would rather prove how much more misogynistic they are than the topic at hand.


Well i don't see any hate towards women in the game so far....

and people here aren't woman haters they just think that calling man-at-arms sexist is ridiculous so they joke about it including me. And it is nothing different then what woman do all the time. People of one gender always complains that the other is being sexist while they themselves act the same way on other occasions.

Joined: Jun 2014
M
Mr. C Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
M
Joined: Jun 2014
Originally Posted by MrGrim
Originally Posted by Zozma


I wouldn't have recommended it, myself. I advocate gender neutral phrasing as a rule, and it's always worth *talking* about, but this particular example isn't something I personally have a problem with . These things ought to be discussed, but a lot of the people here would rather prove how much more misogynistic they are than the topic at hand.


Well i don't see any hate towards women in the game so far....

and people here aren't woman haters they just think that calling man-at-arms sexist is ridiculous so they joke about it including me. And it is nothing different then what woman do all the time. People of one gender always complains that the other is being sexist while they themselves act the same way on other occasions.


You do realize you're playing a game where virtually all of the major villains are female, right?

Joined: Aug 2013
member
Offline
member
Joined: Aug 2013
Originally Posted by Mr. C

You do realize you're playing a game where virtually all of the major villains are female, right?


And what? They should go back to their kitchens?

I'm sure that Roderick's part in foiling their plots is a symbol of patriarchal oppression, too.

:P


Joined: Jun 2014
Z
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Z
Joined: Jun 2014
Originally Posted by Mr. C

You do realize you're playing a game where virtually all of the major villains are female, right?


If the female villains were villains on the basis of being women or the writer's misunderstanding thereof, I'd say you have a point. But them being evil is independent of their sex and gender. This isn't the witch from Snow White getting angry because Snow White's prettier than her; the female villains have gender neutral motivations. Also, I don't think your math's right. I'm getting toward the end of the game and the four more crucial villains I can think of are divided evenly between men and women.

Originally Posted by MrGrim


[quote]and people here aren't woman haters they just think that calling man-at-arms sexist is ridiculous so they joke about it including me. And it is nothing different then what woman do all the time. People of one gender always complains that the other is being sexist while they themselves act the same way on other occasions.


I think some people (such as, say, socially conscious men and women) complain about people being sexist because there's a huge discrepancy between the way one sex is treated and perceived and the way another is treated and perceived.

Joined: Jun 2014
K
member
Offline
member
K
Joined: Jun 2014
Originally Posted by Mr. C
You do realize you're playing a game where virtually all of the major villains are female, right?

Apart from that being grossly wrong, are you arguing that females should not be put into a position of power?

Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Germany
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Germany
Originally Posted by Mr. C

You do realize you're playing a game where virtually all of the major villains are female, right?

This is just not true. The archvillain is void creature, a bird. It's not female. The white witch's sister was only charmed by it. The only real female villain is an orc leader...


But I find that highly amusing. Feminists always find a way to call a game misogynistic. No female villains = misogynistic. Female villains = misogynistic...

That's just so sad and pathetic...


Originally Posted by Zozma

I wouldn't have recommended it, myself. I advocate gender neutral phrasing as a rule, and it's always worth *talking* about, but this particular example isn't something I personally have a problem with . These things ought to be discussed, but a lot of the people here would rather prove how much more misogynistic they are than the topic at hand.

These "thing" don't ought to be discussed. And don't judge on other people, dude, your in no position to get to high morale ground here. You don't know me. I don't have to prove to you or anybody else that I'm not misygonistic. This discussion about a technical term here is just ridiculous and nothing else than crying for attention. By making something like that somewhat important or meaningful you actually spit on real misogyny. You belittle misogyny by calling each and every element in games or videos which is not 100% gender neutral or political correct as wrong or misygnoistic. I can't even pronounce anymore how stupid this is. You know, there are some REAL misogynistic media and issues which need to be called out. By making them actually meaningless by caling each and every game nowadays misogynistic you do the whole thing the greatest disservice possible. Think about it before you judge about other people on forums the next time...

Last edited by LordCrash; 20/07/14 11:32 PM.

WOOS
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Netherlands
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Netherlands
Originally Posted by LordCrash

But I find that highly amusing. Feminists always find a way to call a game misogynistic. No female villains = misogynistic. Female villains = misogynistic...

That's just so sad and pathetic...


Originally Posted by Zozma

I wouldn't have recommended it, myself. I advocate gender neutral phrasing as a rule, and it's always worth *talking* about, but this particular example isn't something I personally have a problem with . These things ought to be discussed, but a lot of the people here would rather prove how much more misogynistic they are than the topic at hand.

These "thing" don't ought to be discussed. And don't judge on other people, dude, your in no position to get to high morale ground here. You don't know me. I don't have to prove to you or anybody else that I'm not misygonistic. This discussion about a technical term here is just ridiculous and nothing else than crying for attention. By making something like that somewhat important or meaningful you actually spit on real misogyny. You belittle misogyny by calling each and every element in games or videos which is not 100% gender neutral or political correct as wrong or misygnoistic. I can't even pronounce anymore how stupid this is. You know, there are some REAL misogynistic media and issues which need to be called out. By making them actually meaningless by caling each and every game nowadays misogynistic you do the whole thing the greatest disservice possible. Think about it before you judge about other people on forums the next time...


this. pretty much ALL of this.

Joined: Jun 2014
Z
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Z
Joined: Jun 2014

Quote
And don't judge on other people, dude, your in no position to get to high morale ground here. You don't know me. I don't have to prove to you or anybody else that I'm not misygonistic.


My criticisms were actually more geared toward people making sexist jokes like "get back to the kitchen" and "make me a sammich" then you. I actually was not thinking about you when I said it, and frankly at this point would rather go back to not thinking about you at all.


Quote
This discussion about a technical term here is just ridiculous and nothing else than crying for attention. By making something like that somewhat important or meaningful you actually spit on real misogyny.


Like the generalizing of all feminists as sad and pathetic bear baiters in what I can only assume is a Limbaugh-arian understanding of the movement?

Quote
You belittle misogyny by calling each and every element in games or videos which is not 100% gender neutral or political correct as wrong or misygnoistic. I can't even pronounce anymore how stupid this is. You know, there are some REAL misogynistic media and issues which need to be called out.


There are people who say the same thing about the team name of the Washington Redskins. Certainly there are more pressing and serious concerns facing women and PoC than nomenclature. And certainly, those issues should be prioritized. But the way we determine when something is bigoted and when something isn't is by sitting down and thinking about it critically, trying to see all sides of the issue, and then coming to a fair and unbiased conclusion that takes into consideration the feelings of the affected party. Not by dismissing the issue outright and being aggressively insulting toward the people who disagree.

Once again, I don't think "man-at-arms" is offensive. I just think gender neutral phrasing is something that should be talked about and considered. And if you find the idea of an open dialogue to be egregious then I'm afraid that's more your problem than mine.

Quote

By making them actually meaningless by caling each and every game nowadays misogynistic you do the whole thing the greatest disservice possible. Think about it before you judge about other people on forums the next time...


Yes, I think we can all agree that the solution is not to make thoughtless, snap judgments wink

Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Netherlands
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Netherlands
Originally Posted by Zozma

Quote
This discussion about a technical term here is just ridiculous and nothing else than crying for attention. By making something like that somewhat important or meaningful you actually spit on real misogyny.


Like the generalizing of all feminists as sad and pathetic bear baiters in what I can only assume is a Limbaugh-arian understanding of the movement?

I did not see him do that.

However my opinion is that MOST (not all) people that claim to be feminist are retarded. they want equality and always criticize on matter in which a man stands above woman. but whenever theres a situaion where a woman stands above a man then it's "nope nothing to see here, this is all perfectly fine"

Originally Posted by Zozma

Quote
You belittle misogyny by calling each and every element in games or videos which is not 100% gender neutral or political correct as wrong or misygnoistic. I can't even pronounce anymore how stupid this is. You know, there are some REAL misogynistic media and issues which need to be called out.


There are people who say the same thing about the team name of the Washington Redskins. Certainly there are more pressing and serious concerns facing women and PoC than nomenclature. And certainly, those issues should be prioritized. But the way we determine when something is bigoted and when something isn't is by sitting down and thinking about it critically, trying to see all sides of the issue, and then coming to a fair and unbiased conclusion that takes into consideration the feelings of the affected party. Not by dismissing the issue outright and being aggressively insulting toward the people who disagree.

Once again, I don't think "man-at-arms" is offensive. I just think gender neutral phrasing is something that should be talked about and considered. And if you find the idea of an open dialogue to be egregious then I'm afraid that's more your problem than mine.

Everyone will always have an issue with something. But just because they have an issue doesn't mean you should sit around a table and discuss how to change it. (in some cases you should granted, but in others you shouldnt it depends on the subject) like man-at-arms. if someone feels thats sexist. then TOUGH LUCK on that person. it is an historical term and doesn't even have anything to do with a sex. and there are so many more examples like tis.

Last edited by MrGrim; 21/07/14 12:50 AM.
Joined: Jun 2014
Z
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Z
Joined: Jun 2014
Originally Posted by MrGrim


Like the generalizing of all feminists as sad and pathetic bear baiters in what I can only assume is a Limbaugh-arian understanding of the movement?

Quote
I did not see him do that.


He didn't. Instead he said "Feminists always find a way to call a game misogynistic. No female villains = misogynistic. Female villains = misogynistic... That's just so sad and pathetic..." and I used the transitive property to simplify the statement. Like'a boss.

Originally Posted by MrGrim

However my opinion is that MOST (not all) people that claim to be feminist are retarded.


I have a sneaking suspicion that this might come from never knowing or actually speaking to a feminist.

http://finallyfeminism101.wordpress.com/2007/06/03/faq-arent-feminists-just-sexists-towards-men/

Quote
they want equality and always criticize on matter in which a man stands above woman. but whenever theres a situaion where a woman stands above a man then it's "nope nothing to see here, this is all perfectly fine"


1. Feminists actually talk about social trends that are against men all the time. Feminists acknowledge that men are expected to be emotionally distant, are treated as sex-crazed monsters who can't control their libidos, are unfairly drafted in war time, are believed to be unable to form the same emotional bonds with their children as a mother, are expected and shamed into the primary bread winner, and so on.
2. That said, feminists also recognize that women aren't the ones in power who are enforcing these stereotypes and outmoded ideologies. More often than not, that would be men.
3. What feminists *don't* like is when they're having a conversation about how sexism affects women specifically and someone will come along and either refuse to validate them or make the conversation about men. Women deserve to be able to reserve time for themselves to talk about issues that affect them specifically.

http://procrasti-nation.eu/racism-sexism-privileges-for-the-underprivileged-mario-kart-analogy/

Last edited by Zozma; 21/07/14 01:15 AM.
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Hong Kong
L
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
L
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Hong Kong
Alright, let's call it "Human-at-arms" from now on...

Oh wait, this term is also racist and sexist, how about "Hu-woman-at-arms"?

I think "Homo-Sapien-at-arms" is the most accurate and neutral of all.

Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Netherlands
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Netherlands
+1 for homo sapien

joking ofc..

Last edited by MrGrim; 21/07/14 02:36 AM.
Joined: Jun 2014
K
member
Offline
member
K
Joined: Jun 2014
Originally Posted by lmyyyks
Alright, let's call it "Human-at-arms" from now on...

Oh wait, this term is also racist and sexist, how about "Hu-woman-at-arms"?

I think "Homo-Sapien-at-arms" is the most accurate and neutral of all.

Excuse me, but I self identify as a genderfluid, omnicultural pansexual Pikachu based life form. I don't appreciate you trying to shoehorn me into your bigoted categories. The only politically correct term is Entity/ies-at-arms. Please check your privilege daily.

Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Netherlands
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Netherlands
Originally Posted by Kriss
Originally Posted by lmyyyks
Alright, let's call it "Human-at-arms" from now on...

Oh wait, this term is also racist and sexist, how about "Hu-woman-at-arms"?

I think "Homo-Sapien-at-arms" is the most accurate and neutral of all.

Excuse me, but I self identify as a genderfluid, omnicultural pansexual Pikachu based life form. I don't appreciate you trying to shoehorn me into your bigoted categories. The only politically correct term is Entity/ies-at-arms. Please check your privilege daily.


This just earned my best post on the Internet of the day reward. Congratulations Kriss

Joined: Jun 2014
M
Mr. C Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
M
Joined: Jun 2014
Who knew D:OS was played entirely by MRAs?

Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Netherlands
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Netherlands
Originally Posted by Mr. C
Who knew D:OS was played entirely by MRAs?
MRas?

Joined: Nov 2003
member
Offline
member
Joined: Nov 2003
Not sure why gender discrimination should be such an issue given the blatant hostility this game shows to animals. Dogs are portrayed as smell- and clothing-obsessed pervs, cats as intellectual snobs and let's not even get started on the sheep... wink

Joined: Apr 2013
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Apr 2013
Ok, ok, I have an epic idea: let's have a contest to see who can find the pettiest and lamest reason that starts an epic outcry, I'll start: one of the wizard robes I bought had this insanely hideous smudge of dust on a shoulder...at least that's what it looked like and let me tell you it was truly the stuff of nightmares!! I would never wish such a traumatic lack of fashion upon anyone!!

Joined: Jun 2014
M
Mr. C Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
M
Joined: Jun 2014
Originally Posted by MrGrim
Originally Posted by Mr. C
Who knew D:OS was played entirely by MRAs?
MRas?


Men's Rights Advocate.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5