Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#516749 11/07/14 06:02 PM
M
OP Offline
M
At 1080p, my high-end PC runs this game @ the highest quality @ 150fps+, but as soon as I select 4K resolution, my framerate plunges down to 45fps. All that without V-Sync. I realize 4K is about 4x more demanding than 1080p, but that doesn't mean that framerate should be cut 4x or even 3x. It should stay at least above 60fps for a game like this. Are there any plans to improve performance specifically for 4K resolution? The game looks SO good @ 4K and doesn't even need SMAA or FXAA. I don't actually use the real 4K, but I downsample from 4K to 1080p, which is the same thing as using 2x2 OGSSAA / 4x SSAA.

Also - what exactly Screen Space Reflections do as far as graphics goes? I can't say I see any difference between that setting enabled/ticked or disabled/unticked.

V
stranger
stranger
V
4k is 4x more pixels than 1080p, what did you expect?

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by MonarchX
I realize 4K is about 4x more demanding than 1080p, but that doesn't mean that framerate should be cut 4x or even 3x

Of course it means that the performance will be cut by 4 ! There's no magic rule that says that if you render 4x more things it only needs 2x the power, that would be totally dumb...

Last edited by Arakha; 17/07/14 02:19 PM.
F
stranger
stranger
F
The game is very demanding on GPUs.

At 1440p my GTX780 @ 1150mhz sits at around 75-90% usage at all times to maintain 60FPS. I can't even imagine what 4k would do to it.

This is probably the most demanding game I have outside of Crysis 3, ENB + Texture Mod Skyrim, and the new Tomb Raider. Considering the difference in graphics of all of those games and D:OS, it's crazy how much GPU is used for this game.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by frozenwings
Considering the difference in graphics of all of those games and D:OS, it's crazy how much GPU is used for this game.

Yeah, I hope Nvidia and Larian sort these issues out. At this point both my GPU and CPU are lacking in performance optimizations in this game. My CPU is being utilized only up to 20% and both my GPUs running in SLI are being nearly maxed out. Even when I set everything to the lowest quality the frame rate still roller coasts up and down all over the place. Its as if when I pan the camera, or rotate it, the game is loading and unloading assets on the go at such an inefficient rate that the GPU and CPU are both having to work overtime. You'd think with as much ram as folks have today this wouldn't be an issue, if this is the core issue at all, I really can't say. All I know is something is wrong and needs fixing. I've sent two report.zip files to Larian and have been told by support and here on the forums that further optimizations are coming. But no one could tell me when, which indicates that it is not the top priority for the next patch. Hopefully this gets sorted out soon though.

Moderated by  gbnf, Issh, Kurnster, Larian_QA, LarSeb, Monodon, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard