#517269 12/07/14 10:39 AM
W
WarmCat Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Hi!
Really interested in buying/playing D:OS, but not sure the best way to buy it.
I spend half of the year away with a very limited / no internet connection.
(3 weeks away, 3 weeks at home, 3 weeks away, 3 weeks at home etc)

I can download updates during my 3 weeks at home.

I don't want to use steam (lets not argue about that here, there seems to be another post about that).

So my options are, gog.com, Larian Studio Vault, or the Physical box/disc.
I do like the idea of the physical copy, all the extra stuff you get like cards etc look cool.

Can anyone advise which might be the best option for me?

Regards,
WarmCat

Every version except for GOG is based on Steam, so you only have one choice.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I think you can play steam in offline mode?

stranger
stranger
You can ask Larian a box without DRM, they are preparing some, I believe.

A
addict
addict
A
I think you should go with GOG version.

W
WarmCat Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Thanks guys hehe

@DragonCommander I had issues before with some games I bought on steam, steam was demanding an internet connection before it would let me play. I was sailing across the indian ocean at the time... lol. Maybe they fixed those issues now as it was quite a while ago. Don't really want extra software just for one game on my mac though to be honest.

So I can buy the GOG version, install it, play it when I'm away, then install updates when I get home?

Got two mates which I could convince to buy it if Larian produce a steam-free boxed version, chip in to have the cards and map etc. hehe

apprentice
apprentice
Yep, with GOG you can download the game and get the patches later. They have a download tool and it opens a GOG made installer, but the installer itself is just a file you can copy over or run again later etc etc. Or you can just download without the downloader. Pretty handy. They are building a new platform called GOG Galaxy that will do patching in the background for you like steam does, but it's optional and they've said you'll still be able to manually download if you prefer.

I have not tried it, but the steam version is DRM free, so I think you could run steam then grab the install directory and move it over someplace out of steam - but I'm not sure. GOG seems much easier.

Going in with your mates to buy the box for the collectables is cool, but I'd hope that you'd each buy your own copy to play.

Last edited by bargeral; 12/07/14 12:47 PM.
Steam version is exactly the same as GOG. GOG even comes with steam_api.dll, so go figure.
Not sure if the GOG galaxy integration will make the executable distinct at some point, or if it'll simply contain hooks for both Steam and GOG Galaxy (the easiest and most logical way of doing it).

Copying the installed Steam folder is easy. Everything is self contained in one directory, so it's not anymore a hassle than with GOG. Of course, if someone is unfamiliar with navigating the windows file system, then sure - that would be a problem. A five year old can do this though, so...

Steam is only used as a download platform. You do not need Steam running or even installed to play the game, once you have downloaded it.

stranger
stranger
OP:
Originally Posted by WarmCat
I don't want to use steam (lets not argue about that here, there seems to be another post about that).

Go away Steam trolls.

Last edited by ERISS; 12/07/14 04:14 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by ERISS
OP:
Originally Posted by WarmCat

Go away Steam trolls.

If that was meant for the OP, that was unnecessary. I like and use Steam all the time, but if he doesn't want it, that's his choice. At least he didn't make a long-winded rant about it. He said he didn't want to use it, and left it at that. No reason to be disrespectful.

veteran
veteran
I wonder if there will be a Larian Vault version someday. I guess Larian made a deal with GOG to not make it but I don't know for how long that deal will last... wink

WOOS
addict
addict
My impression was, that they left their own Larian Vault out for simplicity. They already had two avenues of patching to deal with (Steam and GoG), no reason to add a third until the patching slows down (i.e. most of the bugs are fixed).

N
stranger
stranger
N
I agree here, I will not support this company until they release a boxed version which runs independently of anything.

By independently I mean like back in the days I bought Divine Divinity boxed version (with manual) and I could install anywhere and play straight away.

I hear you crying "This is why software companies go bankrupt." Good, then let them go bankrupt, time to play outside again...without the artificial glare

W
WarmCat Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Originally Posted by bargeral
Going in with your mates to buy the box for the collectables is cool, but I'd hope that you'd each buy your own copy to play.

Aye, it looks like it comes with two copies of the game and cards etc, My two mates can get that and I'll chip in for the cards. In the meantime I'm going to get my copy from GOG hehe

addict
addict
Originally Posted by NoDRMforMe
blah, blah, blah

Oh, go away, you pirating troll.

K
K
GOG
O
G

Link Copied to Clipboard