Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
When a team member request to speak to you, you must select a response for both of your players even though I have assigned the random AI personalities for both of my players. I thought that the intended functionality is that I should only have to select a response for the player I am controlling and the computer will select the response for the other player. This seems like a bug please fix.

enthusiast
enthusiast
is it since the patch?

journeyman
journeyman
I started a new game with 1.0.74 giving one of the main characters "no AI" and the other one "Free" personality.
On the first dialog where you find the corpse that jumped off the cliff, the dialog choices for the 2nd character were chosen by AI. So for me this part works as intended.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by rizzaman
When a team member request to speak to you, you must select a response for both of your players even though I have assigned the random AI personalities for both of my players. I thought that the intended functionality is that I should only have to select a response for the player I am controlling and the computer will select the response for the other player. This seems like a bug please fix.

You actually can't give AI personalities to both players IIRC. You can only give it to one character and you will always play the other one directly.

Edit: You can really give AI personalities to both characters? That's kind of stupid...

Last edited by LordCrash; 16/07/14 10:43 PM.

WOOS
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by LordCrash
Edit: You can really give AI personalities to both characters? That's kind of stupid...
I wouldn't play it this way, but I think there are gamers who like this approach. So I wouldn't call it stupid. wink

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
You can give personality to both characters and the one you are currently controlling doesn't automatically choose dialogue options. The AI only works on the character you are not controlling.

And since AI personalities are a set of traits it is possible that it doesn't do anything when the dialogue option is not tied to a trait(no +1 Pragmatic, bold, etc)

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Morrandir
I wouldn't play it this way, but I think there are gamers who like this approach. So I wouldn't call it stupid. wink

Well, let's call it weird instead. I don't think that this solution "solves" anything. wink

WOOS
P
P
An AI only applies to the second character. The selected character's choice is under your control.

Example:
P1 is a Maniac, P2 is a Knight.

Case#1: P1 is selected. You can choose Romantic or Pragmatic for P1. P2 will always be Romantic.
Case#2: P2 is selected. You can choose Romantic or Pragmatic for P2. P1 will always be Pragmatic.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by PatrickSJ
An AI only applies to the second character. The selected character's choice is under your control.

Example:
P1 is a Maniac, P2 is a Knight.

Case#1: P1 is selected. You can choose Romantic or Pragmatic for P1. P2 will always be Romantic.
Case#2: P2 is selected. You can choose Romantic or Pragmatic for P2. P1 will always be Pragmatic.

Sure, but imo it would make more sense to always have the same "main" character in dialogues...I thought AI behaviours were meant to solve the split personality issue but that's even worse with AI behaviours then imo...

Larian should really add some SP specific features to this game.

Last edited by LordCrash; 17/07/14 01:32 AM.

WOOS
P
P
So if #2 is active then #1 always starts?

veteran
veteran

Yes.

One main character who is always controlled by the player in dialogues (no matter who leads the party right now).

One additional character with a "full" AI behaviour who cannot be controlled in dialgoue.

I think the system should work like that. Everything else makes IMHO little sense or doesn't add anything to the game.

Last edited by LordCrash; 17/07/14 01:35 AM.

WOOS
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
I don't know. I selected AI for both characters. That doesn't mean that both of my characters engage in dialogue without me. It just means that the character I'm not controlling has a selected AI. I understand what LordCrash is saying, though. If we're going to play single-player then we should really only be in charge of one player character and allow the other to be fully NPC. That's how it works in Baldur's Gate and practically every other old-school cRPG (not sure if any are quite like Divinity: Original Sin. I can't recall any.) However, the design is such that both characters are equal. One is not the main character and the other is not the companion. It's probably best as a co-op experience -- I don't really know as I've not yet tried playing co-op -- but even as a single-player game, I actually enjoy feeling that I can play an active role with each character as I see fit. So why not just roleplay both characters? Because as much as I like it, it's a bit burdensome. That's why I like to assign an AI to each character, so that I can roleplay one and allow the AI to unburden me from the other for a while and then when I want to roleplay the other there's an AI in place to allow me to not feel like someone struggling with dissociative identity disorder.

Wow... I didn't mean to write all of that. I only came here to say that the AIs have been seemingly disabled or reset to none after a few hours of playing. Just curious if the original poster had this issue as well.

Last edited by Mirza; 17/07/14 04:24 AM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Mirza I play the game the exact same way. I just played the game last night and I have noticed that the AI has been disabled or reset after a few hours of playing. When the AI has been reset to none I have to select responses for both players which is burdensome. As I stated before this also happens when you talk to a joined team member where you must select the response for both players instead of just the player you are controlling. All of these issue are happening after the most recent patch.

T
stranger
stranger
T

Yes.

One main character who is always controlled by the player in dialogues (no matter who leads the party right now).

One additional character with a "full" AI behaviour who cannot be controlled in dialgoue.

I think the system should work like that. Everything else makes IMHO little sense or doesn't add anything to the game.

No. My Pet Pal is the opposite character from my Barter (it just turned out that way). You're playing *both* characters. Sometimes one will start a conversation, sometimes the other. The AI makes it work no matter who talks.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Hey Rizza,
I would suggest posting something in the Technical Issues subforum. I have noticed after playing a bit longer that the AI works sometimes and other times it does not. And yeah, these issues have also only plagued me after the introduction of personality AIs in the new patch. Probably just a few kinks to work out.

enthusiast
enthusiast
well the AI personalities are new so there might be a few bugs in them, am sure it will be patched soon

Link Copied to Clipboard