Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
D
Hey guys,

Anyone else want respawning monsters? I'd love it. It doesn't have to be for the whole game, maybe just for one map, or one area. I'd love one map that had respawning monsters that scaled to the player's level. Anyone else?

What do you say Larian? It can be an expansion, it doesn't have to be an area in the base game.

On that subject, who else would love to get some official expansions for this game with new areas, henchmen, spells, monsters, etc? Personally I can't get enough of this game.

K
stranger
stranger
K
As far as respawns, I'd have to respectfully disagree. I like the fact that "character building" resources are finite; it urges the player to make decisions instead of saying "oh well I'll just go level up some more and fix it".

That's why I like the respec option because even though you can respec, you still only have a limited number of points from leveling to spread out across everything. Now, of course, those resources are still limited by the overall leveling system/game progression mechanic, in ways - but one level difference makes a HUGE difference in difficulty. I would hate to see encounters become trivial because of respawns.

However - as far as expansions or even DLC (I think DLC fits better here than expansion, for once), I would definitely invest more money for content. I know a lot of developers will release some free content (as long as it isn't F2P to begin with), but I would throw my money at the devs to keep DOS fresh and new.

Just my thoughts - don't crucify me!

enthusiast
enthusiast
dunno could be abused by farming low level monsters

Z
stranger
stranger
Z

Sorry Diabolus_Musica, but there are 3 Things that i do not like in C-RPG.

1- Levelscaling.
2- Respawning Monsters.
3- Random Loot (unfortunately, D:OS has this kind of Lootsystem)

Best
ZG

A
stranger
stranger
A
The story, leveling and quests are all perfectly synced as you progress through the game. It's a crpg. What you're describing isn't.

Last edited by allsweptaway; 17/07/14 06:48 AM.
G
apprentice
apprentice
G
no need for respawning monsters here

stranger
stranger
Instead of respawning monsters, I'd rather have random encounters a-la Fallout 1&2 where you can bump into interesting scenarios while you traverse the map.

So even if you cleared out a map of all enemies, there's a chance that you'll meet a random stranger needing rescue, clumsy bad guys getting caught plotting something, bandits, etc. Not that this game really needs any more XP. It's easy to become OP from low levels.

It's easy to make something difficult.
It's difficult to make something easy.
Larian has made it clear that this epic game won't be some mindless grinding process. Every encounter will be vital because you only get to do it once.

addict
addict
For the sake of immersion: NO RESPAWNING MONSTERS

The last thing I want is another Diablo clone.

journeyman
journeyman
No.

Originally Posted by Lividity
Instead of respawning monsters, I'd rather have random encounters a-la Fallout 1&2 where you can bump into interesting scenarios while you traverse the map.

So even if you cleared out a map of all enemies, there's a chance that you'll meet a random stranger needing rescue...
I think that idea would make more sense and work better than respawning.

However a special combat zone (arena? testing ground? Larian QA office?) where players could practice their skills against a variety of opponents multiple times (getting experience for the first battles, but not for repeats) could be one way for hack-happy players to notch their swords. smile

stranger
stranger
No-go for respawning monsters here. I quite like the fact that whatever I kill stays dead, unless I'm fighting resurrecting zombies or the likes wink

veteran
veteran
If you want more combat, there's always the 'new game' button... show your new skills! Or try a different setup. Infinite combat!

(Yeah, no respawning monster fan here. If you can't beat a fight, learn, not grind some and then rofl-stomp it here thank you very much)

Yes, respawn monsters TO A DEGREE.

A barren dead landscape is much more immersion breaking for me, than running into some random encounters where there used to be other monsters.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Respawning monsters work better in games where the battles don't take long. I don't really feel like fighting the same three groups of enemies three times because I forgot to bring some important quest item.

I suppose it could be a tick box in settings, to enable or disable random encounters in cleared areas. That way everyone can play as they like smile

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
No respawning and no it's not just a tick box to enable it, all difficulty management has to be redesigned and this is a lot of work.

This element is far to be in a polished state. Ie if there's work on this matter it's not to make it more complex, it's to polish it and eventually add another difficulty level. Currently at normal difficulty, with a lot of care of avoiding any exploits like leech, the difficulty suddenly drop down after first chapter, and that's quite an anomaly.

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Not really interested.

K
K
Hopefully, no one.

old hand
old hand
While I don't want respawning monsters, there could be a place for wandering random encounters.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard