Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Netherlands
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Netherlands
Originally Posted by gastovski
Originally Posted by Vayra
Sorry, this is not game-breaking, don't make such pretentious topic titles.

Nor does this warrant the use of CAPS in any way. You have an opinion on Skill books, some are not available, live and learn, shit happens, Hit the New Game button.

Problem solved.


Get out of here.


he is right tho. it is not in any way breaking the games progress.

Joined: Jul 2014
J
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
J
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by MrGrim
Originally Posted by gastovski
Originally Posted by Vayra
Sorry, this is not game-breaking, don't make such pretentious topic titles.

Nor does this warrant the use of CAPS in any way. You have an opinion on Skill books, some are not available, live and learn, shit happens, Hit the New Game button.

Problem solved.


Get out of here.


he is right tho. it is not in any way breaking the games progress.


No he's not. He has a different opinion and like anything subjective there is no wrong or right per se.

Just because he, and you by the sounds, are happy with something doesn't make you inherently correct or your opinion more worthy.

The fact that many people don't like a particular feature, for a variety or reasons, means the developers can be aware of something that affects their bottom line; sales.

So if you think about it logically - if there was a market for this game of two people - one that didn't particularly care about how skill books affects their time in the game and one that hates them. If the developers don't listen and consider the market opinion then they will sell one copy. IF they make a minor change and fix issues with skill books (better yet get rid of them IMHO) then they sell two.

First guy still happy and the other guy is happy; win win.

Admittedly this is an exaggerated example but the logic still applies. If skill books were NOT in the game no one would miss them; they're extraneous to the core of the game. Like cheese, if you will. It's just adding flavour, something slightly different to make the game more of challenge and interesting. Who knows what they were thinking. For a lot of people, and different reasons, they make the game annoying and are not adding anything to it for THEM.

If someone thinks an issue is game breaking then it is for them. I don't think skill books are game breaking. I'd probably be less inclined to buy a sequel that had the same system though. But I'm not going to tell people they haven't got a right to feel strongly about something that annoys them.

Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Netherlands
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Netherlands
Originally Posted by Jabba
Originally Posted by MrGrim
Originally Posted by gastovski
Originally Posted by Vayra
Sorry, this is not game-breaking, don't make such pretentious topic titles.

Nor does this warrant the use of CAPS in any way. You have an opinion on Skill books, some are not available, live and learn, shit happens, Hit the New Game button.

Problem solved.


Get out of here.


he is right tho. it is not in any way breaking the games progress.


No he's not. He has a different opinion and like anything subjective there is no wrong or right per se.

Just because he, and you by the sounds, are happy with something doesn't make you inherently correct or your opinion more worthy.

The fact that many people don't like a particular feature, for a variety or reasons, means the developers can be aware of something that affects their bottom line; sales.

So if you think about it logically - if there was a market for this game of two people - one that didn't particularly care about how skill books affects their time in the game and one that hates them. If the developers don't listen and consider the market opinion then they will sell one copy. IF they make a minor change and fix issues with skill books (better yet get rid of them IMHO) then they sell two.

First guy still happy and the other guy is happy; win win.

Admittedly this is an exaggerated example but the logic still applies. If skill books were NOT in the game no one would miss them; they're extraneous to the core of the game. Like cheese, if you will. It's just adding flavour, something slightly different to make the game more of challenge and interesting. Who knows what they were thinking. For a lot of people, and different reasons, they make the game annoying and are not adding anything to it for THEM.

If someone thinks an issue is game breaking then it is for them. I don't think skill books are game breaking. I'd probably be less inclined to buy a sequel that had the same system though. But I'm not going to tell people they haven't got a right to feel strongly about something that annoys them.


You pretty much wasted your time by writing that. Next time please read carefully and try to understand what is said.

1. I never said i was happy with this
2. He and I are right that this is not a game breaking bug <-- THAT IS ALL I said

A game breaking bug is a bug that causes the game to be unplayable and prohibits the player from reaching that end

THAT IS A GAME BREAKING BUG

a few missing skill books in no way prohibits the person from reaching the end. therefor not game breaking. Annoying yes, game breaking no.

and next time please don't presume you know what i am happy with and not when i haven't even made it clear. just so you know. I want those skillbooks as well.

Joined: Jul 2014
J
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
J
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by MrGrim


You pretty much wasted your time by writing that. Next time please read carefully and try to understand what is said.

1. I never said i was happy with this
2. He and I are right that this is not a game breaking bug <-- THAT IS ALL I said

A game breaking bug is a bug that causes the game to be unplayable and prohibits the player from reaching that end

THAT IS A GAME BREAKING BUG

a few missing skill books in no way prohibits the person from reaching the end. therefor not game breaking. Annoying yes, game breaking no.

and next time please don't presume you know what i am happy with and not when i haven't even made it clear. just so you know. I want those skillbooks as well.


Sorry to have to disagree with you again.

You are choosing to define game breaking to suit your point. You are of course welcome to define it however you want. But Something can me be game breaking if it stops someone wanting to bother playing the game. That is the point of the OP and something people like you are trying to infer is wrong.

Take your own advice, Google the word subjective, and then have rethink about whether or not a perspective is absolute or dependent on the person who forms their own opinion?

Secondly, I am sorry if you feel I presumed to infer you were happy with the skill books. Normally I assume people that express a strong opinion about something being wrong are also in possession of the opposite opinion.

Please accept my appology. You might wish to utilise your right to express yourself more clearly to avoid dickheads like me assuming incorrectly in future.

Joined: Jul 2014
W
member
Offline
member
W
Joined: Jul 2014
Something in the game causing you not to want to play it any more, while the game is still entirely functional (and many are enjoying it) hardly means the game is broken though... word definitions are hardly subjective, if I decide to call a tree a hippopotamus, people will think I am crazy, and will not defend my opinion that the tree is in fact a hippopotamus.

You're welcome to the belief that skill books are a game breaking bug, but I don't think many will agree with you. Getting people to agree that the system could use work however, much more likely.


Joined: Jul 2014
J
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
J
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by Whysper
Something in the game causing you not to want to play it any more, while the game is still entirely functional (and many are enjoying it) hardly means the game is broken though... word definitions are hardly subjective, if I decide to call a tree a hippopotamus, people will think I am crazy, and will not defend my opinion that the tree is in fact a hippopotamus.

You're welcome to the belief that skill books are a game breaking bug, but I don't think many will agree with you. Getting people to agree that the system could use work however, much more likely.



Words can absolutely have many meanings and be ambiguous; often the meaning is determined by its use in context.

If i say my car is broken is that absolute or does it depend on anything else?

Joined: Jul 2014
H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by Whysper


You're welcome to the belief that skill books are a game breaking bug, but I don't think many will agree with you. Getting people to agree that the system could use work however, much more likely.



Whether or not you define this bug as game breaking is irrelevant; the replies that this thread has received shows that their is overwhelming support for fixing this part of the game.

Joined: Jul 2014
R
stranger
Offline
stranger
R
Joined: Jul 2014
What Jabba said.

Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Australia
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Australia
Just to clear one thing up. I found a Whirlwind skillbook in Cyseal while exploring, so they do drop, perhaps just not with merchants. I was only level 4 at the time.


If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Joined: Aug 2011
I
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
I
Joined: Aug 2011
Originally Posted by Jabba
ords can absolutely have many meanings and be ambiguous; often the meaning is determined by its use in context.

If i say my car is broken is that absolute or does it depend on anything else?
Words absolutely do have many meanings and can be ambiguous, but it is the job of anyone who is communicating to do so clearly and use common definitions if they want to be understood. The OP should be completely unsurprised to discover that the way most people use Game Breaking is nothing close to the way that the OP is using Game Breaking.

Which is to say, nothing remotely close to what the OP is describing.

Joined: Jul 2014
I
member
Offline
member
I
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by MrGrim
IF Styno is right. and it isn't with the vendors because it can be found in the game or through a quest then the system is just fine. but if it cannot be found anywhere at all then it is flawed.

also about which skills are we talking about exactly? i've heard walk in shadows and whirlwind? any others?


Although I have heard people saying that they bought whirlwind from Aureus, I think they are mistaken. he does not sell that book.

the only place to get that book in Cyseal is in the cellar of one of the houses there. it's a guaranteed find; sitting on a table IIRC.

I have also heard that you can get the book later in the game from the fire elemental in your homestead. have no clue about that one.

it's probably because whirlwind is pretty OP that they limit it.



Joined: Jul 2014
H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Joined: Jul 2014
Title changed to stop people complaining.

Joined: Feb 2004
A
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
A
Joined: Feb 2004
Originally Posted by Ichthyic

...
it's probably because whirlwind is pretty OP that they limit it.


If Whirlwind or any other skill is considered unbalanced, then limiting the availability of the spell to balance it out is a very bad way of dealing with the problem and it also limits the way the players can play.

They should instead balance/design the skill appropriately and not punish you for playing (in this case) more than one warrior as well as prohibiting you from respecing your skills, because you won't be able to ever get that skill back.

All skills should be obtainable one way or another, either through crafting or vendor sale.

Joined: Jul 2014
J
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
J
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by AfterStarX


All skills should be obtainable one way or another, either through crafting or vendor sale.


....or just let people level up skills and not have skill books!

Joined: Dec 2013
R
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
R
Joined: Dec 2013
Skill books implementation for rare skills are OK.
But those lvl 1 starting skills not being available is bad implementation.
You can literally lose a skill from re-spec.
There's no excusing this. And those defending it is just ignorant of the consequences.
Sorry, itemizing skill with random vendor is not the way to go.

And please, assign a different item graphic for each skill book.
Don't be lazy and force the player to mouse-over every identical looking skill book just to check what they are.

[Linked Image]

Senses are pretty common. Everyone can tell one glance that each skill icon is different from one look. But put those Fire books next to each other, and you can't even tell what they are. Wasting more player's time with mouse-overs.

Joined: Aug 2011
I
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
I
Joined: Aug 2011
Originally Posted by rk47
And please, assign a different item graphic for each skill book. Don't be lazy and force the player to mouse-over every identical looking skill book just to check what they are.

Senses are pretty common. Everyone can tell one glance that each skill icon is different from one look. But put those Fire books next to each other, and you can't even tell what they are. Wasting more player's time with mouse-overs.
The book icons look a hell of a lot more classy than the ability icons, when sold from the store. I politely request that no such change be made. I can mouse over all the books in under a second.

Joined: Dec 2013
R
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
R
Joined: Dec 2013
Using identical marker for over 10 unique objects is lazy, not a sign of class.


Joined: Aug 2011
I
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
I
Joined: Aug 2011
Originally Posted by rk47
Using identical marker for over 10 unique objects is lazy, not a sign of class.
It is when those identical markers look a lot better than the unique objects, which do not resemble books in the slightest. laugh Now if they put the unique icon on the book somehow, that would be the best option! I'm sure someone can mod that into existence.

Last edited by Incendax; 20/07/14 06:55 AM.
Joined: Apr 2013
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Apr 2013
Originally Posted by rk47
Using identical marker for over 10 unique objects is lazy, not a sign of class.


And how would you propose they designate between book and scroll versions of the spells? I agree with Incendax, it's fine the way it is.

Joined: Apr 2014
G
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
G
Joined: Apr 2014
I had to delete my lvl 17 savegame because of this. I respecced my warrior and was going to buy whirlwind but nowhere to be found. It's a must have skill for me and i raged big time. But i use infinite skillbooks mod after that and it's great so far.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5