Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#522103 17/07/14 04:10 PM
I
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I
This is a brief guide that will allow you to unlock the Teller of Secrets at Level 4.
I believe this is the lowest possible level she can be unlocked.
  • Step 1: Create a character with Walk in Shadows.
  • Step 2: Proceed directly to Cyseal, killing the first skeletons and the first orc raiders (the XP here does not make a difference).
  • Step 3: Talk to Arhu, Talk to Evelyn, Talk to Aureus, and then go investigate the murder scene (Star Stones = 2).
  • Step 4a: Go to Black Cove and separate your characters. Have one character engage in combat and die, then the other uses Walk of Shadows and enters Black Cove. Use Resurrection Scroll.
  • Step 4b: Go to Black Cove and separate your characters. Have one character engage in combat and run away, then the other uses Walk of Shadows and stands next to Black Cove. Once the orcs have been lead far enough away, flee combat and pyramid to Black Cove. Enter Black Cove before the orcs return!
  • Step 5: Walk of Shadows past the abomination, hit the switch and go downstairs. Walk of Shadows past everything until you are standing behind Pontius Pirate. Break the chest (starting bow works best). Rift back to North Gate. (Star Stones = 3).
  • Step 6: Walk of Shadows up towards Luculla Forest. Collect the Star Stone near the waypoint, then enter Luculla Forest (Star Stones = 4).
  • Step 7: Talk to Loic. Head west then north to Immaculate Temple. Complete Immaculate Temple puzzles and collect the Star Stone (Star Stones = 5). Rift back to Homestead.
  • Step 8: There are no more steps. Go steal everything from Cyseal so you can afford those damn books! laugh

Last edited by Incendax; 17/07/14 04:15 PM.
Impressive.

Those books are hella sweet. Getting 16 of each (while expensive) would certainly make your protagonist(s) quite powerful.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
This has been fixed as of patch 1.0.8x. The books are only sold once now

Originally Posted by Songbird
This has been fixed as of patch 1.0.8x. The books are only sold once now

well that's a drag. Guess my current play through will be the most powerful my protagonists will get /cry

L
L
Well with GOG you can alway play the old version ^^
(or you copy the version away and load the old verison if you are level up) ^^

I
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I
This has been fixed as of patch 1.0.8x. The books are only sold once now.
Just started a fresh game with 1.0.8x patch and she is still restocking them for me.

V
apprentice
apprentice
V
Originally Posted by Incendax
This has been fixed as of patch 1.0.8x. The books are only sold once now.
Just started a fresh game with 1.0.8x patch and she is still restocking them for me.

This is great news for me! I've rerolled again. I simply cannot build the character I want to be my lead without those books.

My idea of a perfect lead character is always a sneaky rogue/mage. In this game however, with secret finding being necessary, perception should be on whichever character you plan to have selected when exploring. This character should also be the one that loots and identifies to keep inventory management to a minimum. So I need 8 INT, 15 base DEX, 8 - 10 PER (I'm guessing) and for AP I need SPD or CON (with glasscannon).

Basically the character has four attributes that need investment and without books is impossible to build well enough.

I
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I
Honestly, I would prefer it if she only sold the books once. Then there would be no need to get to her as early as possible. My OCD demands I do everything in the most efficient way possible, though, so even if I disagree with it in theory I still have to do it. =P

V
apprentice
apprentice
V
Originally Posted by Incendax
Honestly, I would prefer it if she only sold the books once. Then there would be no need to get to her as early as possible. My OCD demands I do everything in the most efficient way possible, though, so even if I disagree with it in theory I still have to do it. =P

I don't plan to get there as early as possible but i will skip some side quests along the way. Probably will be L7 or L8 when I get access.

It's not like you have to do anything. Just play as you like. I'm happy I can still build the character I wish to play.

edit: I've figured that I need 4 attribute books. Don't need the skill books at all.

Last edited by Vedros; 17/07/14 10:13 PM.
L
L
Thanks, good idea.
I did a Video: Hall of Secrets + Tenebrium Skill at Level 5 in 45min

Last edited by lordfiSh; 17/07/14 11:44 PM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
I would recommend hiring a henchmen at level 4 give her 3 in bartering an then try and find as many barter items in the vendors in cyseal.

So far I have gotten my henchmen at level 4 to 6 barterting.

enthusiast
enthusiast
You can get her by Level 3; just steal the 2 Blood Stones in Loic's office instead of going through the Black Cove or the Trials. You can't use the books until level 4, but you can buy them in advance.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 18/07/14 01:40 AM.
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Great sharing, I share my bit as well.
It is possible you buy those books twice per level (at least on low levels <10)

Restocking
==========

As soon as you enter Cyseal, go straight to recruit Madora and Jahan. They will be at lv 3. By the time I did that when I was still level 2 and there was a XP gap between them and my hunters of around 3000 EXP. If you skip all the exp thing at the beginning (tutorial cave, exploration exp, Ishmashell) you should have an even larger gap, giving more room to manage your EXP gain and separate levelling. So after the Teller is unlocked, you can restock every time using Madora/Jahan first then your hunters, offering 4 books per level, provided you have the money.

Bartering
=========

As for the money matter, the high price is a big matter. Here below is the bartering mechanism so that you can calculate and manage how the money should be spent.

General mark-up of vendors = 150%.
This is the base price for vendors having 0 attitude and buyer having 0 bartering skill.

This means the original price of each book from the Teller = 5000 (worth) x (1 + 150%) = 12500

Each bartering level lowers mark-up by 20%, so at lv 5 bartering the total mark-up will be 50%; therefore price of each book = 5000 x (1 + 50%) = 7500

Each attitude point lowers mark-up by 0.5%, so at 100 attitude the remaining 50% mark-up will be cancelled out. At max attitude and lv 5 bartering you can buy and sell at the actual values of all items.

Levelling bartering is simple, I suggest getting 2 lv and let the gears/personality(egoistical) do the rest. 3 ability points is absolutely affordable and worth considering what you can get in return in the future.

As for raising attitude:
1 charisma = 1 reputation = 5 attitude
so be sure to equip whatever that can boost your charisma when bartering (eg. smelly panty)
I have noticed this seems to related to vendors' level.
Price of 1 attitude = 10 x vendor level.
At least I'm sure you'll need 200 gold to earn 1 attitude from the Teller.
I spent a one-time gift of 14000 coins to get her attitude to 100 from 30, saving me 1750 each, which will be paid off after buying 8 books.

For Cyseal vendors (in the market, Esmeralda, Conrad the merchant on the ship) I'm not sure, I think they do level up eventually until they reach lv 5.
You can earn 50 attitude from the fish vendor by stopping the fish-thief.

Some extra tips on selling and giving gifts.
1. Give gifts in gold coins as much as possible. Attitude gain is based on the selling prices of items. 1 gold coin always equal 1 gold coin.
2. Same as above, buy books using gold coins as much as possible unless you have reached/surpassed lv 5 bartering and 100 attitude.
3. Sell non-craftable items first (paintings, golden cup, golden plate, books, etc)
4. Some crafted items will level with the player, even battered cooking pot and branches, yielding higher worths and thus prices.
5. Save up knives (check if that's gold) and daggers, they can be recrafted on anvil level with the player.
6. Sword, axes and some other weapons can be melted into bars and be made into other weapons that will level with the player and probably better prices.
7. Remember to boost weapons/armor before selling.
8. Crafted food has higher value than ingredients (of course)

enthusiast
enthusiast
The information about bartering and reputation is very useful; thank you very much.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
This thread is fantastic - you guys rock smile

I'm surprised you can still buy multiple copies of the books from the seller of secrets, though.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
They should have done a max of two (or four) books IMO. So in coop you both can still get one.

Either way, going for max books is just silly. It was already obvious it's overpowered and it's not intended as demonstrated by the latest patch details.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Just to clarify, by "steal the Blood Stones from Loic's office" I mean... after crossing the river to make it to Sacred Stone (near the 20:00 exact mark in the video, coincidentally), take a small detour to climb the mountain and take the portal into the Silverglen chapel cellar the opposite direction in which you normally would. 2 Blood Stones there; use them on nothing to get 2 Star Stones. After that you proceed to steal the ore at Sacred Stone. That's how you can skip both the Coves and the Trials and get the Teller at level 3 (Sacred Stone WP = still level 3, entering Sacred Stone = level 4, so just visit the Teller first, since you already have 5 stones at that point). You could probably complete the entire setup in under 30 minutes.

edit: Also, invis past the Immaculates is important to avoid both the Charisma XP or a fight. If you get the Charisma XP I'm pretty sure you make level 4 and lose out on a pair of books. I noticed in the video that you actually Charisma your way past them -- suboptimal. Less speaking, more sneaking.

One last comment on the video: Although you obviously want to steal as much ore as you can while you're there, you want to dump all but one piece on the ground before talking to Brandon. He'll take all the ore you have on you when you claim your reward. Then go back to where you dropped the ore and scoop it back up.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 18/07/14 11:42 AM.
addict
addict
Why do we want to get to the Teller so fast? I didn't think she had that much stuff, other than buying all her treasure maps.

Last edited by LeBurns; 18/07/14 12:10 PM.
I
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I
Originally Posted by LeBurns
Why do we want to get to the Teller so fast? I didn't think she had that much stuff, other than buying all her treasure maps.
She sells one book that gives +1 Attribute, and one book that gives +3 Abilites.
As of this post, she restocks these books every time you level up.
This may change in the future, though.

Last edited by Incendax; 18/07/14 12:13 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
She sells consumable books which grant Attribute and Ability points (one of each flavor). These books respawn every time you gain a level. Access at level 3 = 18 of each book can be bought by level 20.

The books are kind of expensive, so it's still kind of hard to make it work.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 18/07/14 12:15 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard