Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#523041 18/07/14 05:31 PM
stranger
OP Online Content
stranger
Hello everyone! I just bought the game and am downloading it now. Any advice or hints for a newbie?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Read the manual. It actually contains useful stuff.

Last edited by Jacob Marner; 18/07/14 06:23 PM.
stranger
stranger
Stock up on cheese early. The man with many friends is the man with many cheeses.

Norb #523072 18/07/14 06:26 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Norb
Stock up on cheese early. The man with many friends is the man with many cheeses.

I think you need to take break from hanging out at the market place. smile

M
M
Crafting is an incredibly important skill. Take everything you can get your hands on. Think creatively. Blacksmiths can, for exmaple, put nails into shoes to stop them from slipping. Magic is exponentially more powerful than melee. Quick Save Constantly (F5). Be insatiably curious. Before you venture out of the city be level three and have your two companions. Do not start as "Lone Wolf". Respecing is available later but it is extremely expensive. Try to buy every skillbook you come across that is pertinent to your character even if you can't or don't want to use it yet. A cheaper method is to just make those skillbooks from scrolls. See: Crafting.

Helpful Recipe everyone should know:

(skull(any)+mortar/pestle)+(stardust plant+mortar/pestle) = Pixie Dust

some tips: spend some time in the character creator to get to know everything and think about what you want to be/feel most comfortable with. Also keep in mind that you may be thinking things like "i can use water then lightning to do some nice stuff so ill put both water and air magic on my character" while it works. it would be nicer to do air on that character and then water on another character to so you can do it in 1 turn instead of two.

like Mr.C said crafting is really important in my opinion. you can craft pretty great stuff with it and it's a lot of fun to find the combinations. i would like to add that you can get companions and henchmen in the game which you can also spec to be a crafter or maybe that backup water mage to do water/lighning combos :P

Companions:
you get a wizard companion who specializes in water and air magic (but you can change it if youd like later in the game(or mod it up like i did i made him a earth/water mage to complement my fire/air battlemage main)) He also starts with the scientist talent which gives him +1 crafting and blacksmithing and a lot of people use him for crafting.

you also get a knight companion with two handed weapon

charisma is pretty much useless i wasted points in it on my first character and instantly regretted it.

you can pick up more then the items youd expect. you can also pick up barrels and put them in your inventory. they weigh 5 but are handy to sort your items early game till you get/craft some more bags ^^ (leather scraps + rope)

ALWAYS buy scraps (cloth scraps, leather scraps etc.) they are rather hard to get apperantly.

thats about all i can think of right now.

S
S
Dont put points in pickpocket, lockpicking, charisma. Useless skills.

stranger
OP Online Content
stranger
Thanks, everyone! Looking forward to playing this evening!

Some say lockpicking is useless some say its nice. i personally like it. i don't want to waste time and weapons durability on bashing chests and doors open. so i just take 1 point in it MAYBE put another point in it later and get the rest from some +lockpicking gear. pickpocket i agree not usefull at this time and if i really want to pickpocket something +pickpocket gear. charisma.. useless as hell it only gives more points in rock/paper/scissor. so instead of winning 4 times you might have to win 2 times but save/reload is nicer

you can save even during a conversation btw smile helps a lot ^^

Link Copied to Clipboard