Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi there, long time reader, first time poster,

I'd like to ask two quick questions regarding two things I'm stuck at. The first one is the Witch's secret chest in her Grotto. I can't find it for life. I did save the boar and he led me into a place where he doesn't want to move anymore and says something like "This is the place or my name isn't something" (whatever his name is). But there is nothing in there. Do I still have to have high Perception to get the chest, despite saving this boar? My Per is 7 now, 9 for traps and secrets. Not enough?
The second one is wrapping up the SparkMaster business. I made that thing self-destruct, saved all the figting men along the way. But to wrap this quest up, the journal tells me to go see them boys and I've no idea where might they be. Searched Cyseal through and through (or so I think). Eventually I gave up and left for the forest.
Any help is very much appreciated!

Of course I can. I'm a Planewalker, berk. I've seen everything. I've met everything. I've done everything."
- Fendril the Missing, before entering Ilsensine's Realm.
enthusiast
enthusiast
The Sparkmaster Quest is entwined with the lighthouse guards quest and the Legion vault in Aureus' basement. Several possible outcomes, one of which is broken.
  • If you do the lighthouse first, and let the lighthouse guards be the heroes, one of them gets appointed as the new vault guard. You don't have to talk to him again to finish the quest - it happens when you all report back to Aureus.
  • If you let them dangle, they disappear from the game after visiting the lighthouse. Reporting to Aureus still finishes the quest.
  • I haven't tried setting them up and cutting them off at the knees with Aureus. Given what happens with the fish thief, that may give a third result.
  • If you save the Sparkmaster guys - either before you clear the lighthouse, or after telling the lighthouse guards to suck wind - then one of the Sparkmaster guys becomes the vault guard. Talking to him finishes the quest, and you have the same conversation bonus. Otherwise, they disappear from the game once they leave the mine, despite the quest description. In that case, you're SOL for finishing off the quest. This is either a design failure or a broken script. Dunno which.
  • If all the Sparkmaster guys die, I expect you can finish the quest by reporting to Cecil, but I haven't tested that either.
  • If you neither support the lighthouse guards nor save the Sparkmaster guys, the generic vault guard - who doesn't like you much - stays in place.
  • If you change the guard either way, you now have a friend on guard, and you get some new conversation options.

Another recent thread discussed how Perception of 11 or 12 will see pretty much the best-hidden traps; if I were a betting man I'd lay money that perception 9 is just not enough for the Witch's chest.

L
L
"Searched Cyseal through and through" nah, you did't
Look in the Basement from the Legion HQ wink

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by PeteNewell
Another recent thread discussed how Perception of 11 or 12 will see pretty much the best-hidden traps; if I were a betting man I'd lay money that perception 9 is just not enough for the Witch's chest.

You may be right. The thing is, I just thought that this boar saving thing is an alternative for the need of having high Perception stat. It would nicely go along with the general quest structure in the game (and many other games fot that matter) - I can choose go the easy way in a quest if I have the right tools and if I don't, I must go the hard way. As in, if I don't have high enough Per to find the treasure myself, I can save the boar and he will dig this chest up for me. But if I still must meet the Per requirement... well, this defeats this subquest's entire purpose. In fact, this isn't an alternative at all. It's very unlike Larian to do such thing.

And I thank the both of you for the help with the SparkMaster quest. I'll go back to Cyseal right away and check the Legion basement.

Of course I can. I'm a Planewalker, berk. I've seen everything. I've met everything. I've done everything."
- Fendril the Missing, before entering Ilsensine's Realm.

Link Copied to Clipboard