Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Currently, it's optimal to get Sneak 5 on every character if you want the easiest combat experiences.

It's boring and cheesy though.

Now, I'm going to preemptively bring up the "Single player game don't use it you don't want" argument.

This does not apply here because you can't use sneak without it being cheesy. It should be a fun and balanced element of the combat, but due to AI not being able to handle it, you can't really play a stealth character in an enjoyable manner. It ruins stealth characters because it's so broken.

What would be nice is if stealth offered real in-combat benefits but was not a near 100% reliable way to cheese every fight. This means changes like giving the AI a sort of "memory" of where stealth characters were when they last saw them. They should be dropping AoEs, or melee should move towards the spot to regain vision on them.

There might be other needed changes but at the very least AI needs to sensibly react to the tactic of stealthing at the end of every turn.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Man.. everything in this game is boring and cheesy. You have to purposely make your build "not cheesy" to have any kind of challenge at all.

S
S
Originally Posted by Maphyr
Man.. everything in this game is boring and cheesy. You have to purposely make your build "not cheesy" to have any kind of challenge at all.

Yup. Unfortunately, D:OS is very, very unbalanced game atm. But still, the first 10-30 hours before you learn some tricks to become overpowered, are certainly worth the price. This is very good game, and after few months of patching and working on balance, I hope I will be able to call it great.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Shaki
But still, the first 10-30 hours before you learn some tricks to become overpowered, are certainly worth the price. This is very good game, and after few months of patching and working on balance, I hope I will be able to call it great.

Absolutely, I agree man.

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
Unfortunately, balance is the last thing on their mind. With teleport spell being lvl 1 spell and all.
Just think about it.

H
stranger
stranger
H
I never got teleport spell and invisibility spell before mid to late game, and I still haven't gotten my sneak to 5 on even my rogue character. Maybe you should let the choice of skills and specializations be based on what you want for your characters, instead of based on min/maxing?

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by HansKrSG
I never got teleport spell and invisibility spell before mid to late game, and I still haven't gotten my sneak to 5 on even my rogue character. Maybe you should let the choice of skills and specializations be based on what you want for your characters, instead of based on min/maxing?

i want for my character to be as strong as possible

and most ppl want the same

so why not just make the maximum power not be a godlike power but just balanced?

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

What I want is balanced combat without having to make arbitrary rules for myself to gimp my characters on my end.

W
stranger
stranger
W
I actually am interested in arbitrary rules as I am about to do my first run with the game. I've been snooping the forums to learn a bit first, without looking at spoilers of course. I am glad to learn that this is something I should avoid for maximum gratification and minimum cheese flavor.

Looks like I won't be abusing Sneak.

So far I am here;

Rule 1) Do not rely upon/abuse Sneak 5
Rule 2) Do not combine Lone Wolf with Glass Cannon on same char

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Windspin
I actually am interested in arbitrary rules as I am about to do my first run with the game. I've been snooping the forums to learn a bit first, without looking at spoilers of course. I am glad to learn that this is something I should avoid for maximum gratification and minimum cheese flavor.

Looks like I won't be abusing Sneak.

So far I am here;

Rule 1) Do not rely upon/abuse Sneak 5
Rule 2) Do not combine Lone Wolf with Glass Cannon on same char

May as well rule out both Lone Wolf and Glass Cannon then. Lone Wolf is garbage without it, and Glass Cannon is amazing even without Lone Wolf. Mitigation is far better than Raw HP anyway in this game, past a certain level anyway.

W
W
I have a lone wolf rogue, he does just fine, wouldn't say its garbage on its own.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
It's garbage in the sense that you are losing more than you are gaining, while wasting a talent point. Your Lone Wolf rogue almost certainly isn't as valuable as TWO non-Lone Wolf rogues would be, or a rogue and a mage, etc etc.

Honestly, I think the solution should be a change to enemy AI. If they CAN aggro to a new target, then they will. Otherwise, they should start looking around, trying to find where you went. Or casting healing spells. If an enemy can't find you, they shouldn't just stand there idly pondering life.

addict
addict
if sneak 5 is OP then maybe sneak 4 or even 3 is not? so, why do you put in 5 points? put in 3 or 4 then it is not OP and you can still use the mechanics.

Last edited by 4verse; 22/07/14 09:34 AM.

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
R
journeyman
journeyman
R
Originally Posted by Fellgnome

What I want is balanced combat without having to make arbitrary rules for myself to gimp my characters on my end.

If they had spent more time doing that instead of Crafting or other stuff like Charm games - maybe.

At the current state a lot of skill sets are clearly too damn good at low level. Badly paced, and high AP costing abilities are not as attractive as lower level ones.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Hm, sneak at 5 is basically the highest you can go, isn't it?
I'd expect it to be somewhat powerful, but I guess that some high-level chars might get better chances to spot sneaking chars even with sneaking 5.

The discussion is a bit strange however, I'll never understand the argument "skill x is so strong you absolutely need it on EVERY CHARACTER. Now that I have it on EVERY CHARACTER, the game is too easy. BUHUUU, fix it, it's broken."

If you break the game on purpose, don't wonder that it's broken...

W
W
Do you have any examples of games where you can't abuse the system?

DA:O - had a character who, when buffed, was hit maybe 2 times while fighting against a revenant because his defence rating was so high.

BG2 - Many dual-class characters can easily solo the game (and the game has a max of 6 player characters, not 4). End boss (and also the imprisoned one) can be killed as soon as they spawn.

etc.

Games have to be accessible to many playstyles to have as wide a paying audience as possible.

It's easy to make overpowered characters in just about every roleplaying game. In order to have fun if you're at the skill level where you find things difficult you tend to need to 'gimp' yourself.

A much harder difficulty level would, however, be very appreciated.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Currently, it's optimal to get Sneak 5 on every character if you want the easiest combat experiences.
Do you actually play this game or just theorycraft?

Even with Sneak at 1AP, here's how it breaks down...
Build investment: 15 ability points in Sneaking, 1 talent in Guerilla
AP investment: +1AP per attack, because sneaking always breaks after you attack. This varies widely based on the type of attack used, it could means your attacks are using 50% more AP, it could mean they're using 25% more, I guess with special attacks like Flurry it could be as low as 12.5% more, although I'm not sure whether Flurry breaks Sneaking before it hits or not.
Situational: One doesn't simply enter sneak mode. You need to get yourself out of vision first, which often means spending even more AP on movement in order to get outside of vision cones and/or other setup (such as creating smokescreens or inflicting the Blind status). So 1AP is the absolute minimum AP investment involved.

To make it even more situational, missing makes enemies turn around. What this means in practice is: the harder the enemy, the more AP you need to spend to get the Guerilla bonus. This makes Guerilla a "win more" mechanic; it's most efficient against the easier content which you don't really need it for.

In return for all of that, you get double the damage. Now if you're spending 50% more AP to get that double damage (daggers), that's 33% more damage per AP; if using two-handers (least "more AP" for default attacks), that's 60% more damage per AP; if you're spending 12.5% more (which is best case scenario), that's 78% more damage.

Now let's compare that with 15 points in One-Handed (or some other similar weapon ability) and Anaconda as your talent. That's 60% increased damage. Assuming you had 25% in increased damage beforehand (say, 15% from Leadership and 10% from a +1 boost), that's 48% more damage (in other words, a 1.48 multiplier). It doesn't increase your AP expenditure at all, and it's not situational at all.

The comparison comes out roughly equal. Although Sneaking doesn't really get its big payoff until it hits rank 5, once it does it provides roughly the same benefit as an ordinary, boring weapon talent. That's not overpowered at all.

If there is anything exploitable when it comes to sneaking, the only thing it could be is: having an easier time maxing out Sneaking using bonuses from gear. It's normally difficult to track down items with +1 Bow or +1 Two-Handed (and especially +1 T-ability), but it's much easier to get +1 Sneaking on multiple items. There is a chance the item affix is too available. However, I would view such an occurrence as an itemization issue, not as fundamental Sneaking balance issue.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 22/07/14 12:53 PM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by ScrotieMcB

AP investment: +1AP per attack, because sneaking always breaks after you attack. This varies widely based on the type of attack used, it could means your attacks are using 50% more AP, it could mean they're using 25% more, I guess with special attacks like Flurry it could be as low as 12.5% more, although I'm not sure whether Flurry breaks Sneaking before it hits or not.
Situational: One doesn't simply enter sneak mode. You need to get yourself out of vision first, which often means spending even more AP on movement in order to get outside of vision cones and/or other setup (such as creating smokescreens or inflicting the Blind status). So 1AP is the absolute minimum AP investment involved.

To make it even more situational, missing makes enemies turn around. What this means in practice is: the harder the enemy, the more AP you need to spend to get the Guerilla bonus. This makes Guerilla a "win more" mechanic; it's most efficient against the easier content which you don't really need it for.

In return for all of that, you get double the damage. Now if you're spending 50% more AP to get that double damage (daggers), that's 33% more damage per AP; if using two-handers (least "more AP" for default attacks), that's 60% more damage per AP; if you're spending 12.5% more (which is best case scenario), that's 78% more damage.

Now let's compare that with 15 points in One-Handed (or some other similar weapon ability) and Anaconda as your talent. That's 60% increased damage. Assuming you had 25% in increased damage beforehand (say, 15% from Leadership and 10% from a +1 boost), that's 48% more damage (in other words, a 1.48 multiplier). It doesn't increase your AP expenditure at all, and it's not situational at all.

The comparison comes out roughly equal. Although Sneaking doesn't really get its big payoff until it hits rank 5, once it does it provides roughly the same benefit as an ordinary, boring weapon talent. That's not overpowered at all.

If there is anything exploitable when it comes to sneaking, the only thing it could be is: having an easier time maxing out Sneaking using bonuses from gear. It's normally difficult to track down items with +1 Bow or +1 Two-Handed (and especially +1 T-ability), but it's much easier to get +1 Sneaking on multiple items. There is a chance the item affix is too available. However, I would view such an occurrence as an itemization issue, not as fundamental Sneaking balance issue.

You accuse him of not playing the game, yet your whole post reeks of theory crafting and not actual experience. Getting sneak to 5 is extremely easy with just 2-3 point invested, as the rest is easy to obtain on gear and from traits. Apart from early levels, getting into position behind enemies and outside of their vision cones is not a problem, as you should be having more than enough AP to go pretty much wherever you please, especially on light armoured characters.

Missing an enemy is also not a problem, as spells such as Bless exist, leadership bonus is pretty nice as well. Furthermore, any incapacitating effect on the target makes you hit 100% of your hits anyway.
Even if you do miss, repositioning behind again is not a problem, or if not possible, moving to another target or just moving out of the current vision cone and stealthing is also extremely easy.

Furthermore, the +1AP cost is in many situations a non factor, especially on larger weapons that cost more AP to attack with, as you would not be able to hit 3-4 times in a turn anyway and adding that 1 extra AP cost for double damage doesn't actually affect the number of hits you would inflict in a turn.

The point is, sneaking is extremely easy and extremely strong, while not requiring any real investment. Spending a talent to get guerilla doesn't seem that bad either, since around 4-5 talents seem to be the max that actually have any impact on your chosen playstyle of your character, unless you went hybrid. As a real example, in my game I hit a breakpoint at around level 12ish, when I had all the talents that improved my characters, and anyting else was improving an area that I had not invested anything in, thus being useless to me.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by ScrotieMcB

.... who cares about doing double damage? the broken aspect of 1ap sneak is the 100% damage mitigation to everything it provides because enemies are morons that stand their ground doing nothign because they have no one to target.
1ap invulnerability with no cooldown, that's what sneak at 5 is .

Or at least that's my understanding of it and how I would exploit it, I don't actually use sneak.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by El Zoido
Hm, sneak at 5 is basically the highest you can go, isn't it?
I'd expect it to be somewhat powerful, but I guess that some high-level chars might get better chances to spot sneaking chars even with sneaking 5.

The discussion is a bit strange however, I'll never understand the argument "skill x is so strong you absolutely need it on EVERY CHARACTER. Now that I have it on EVERY CHARACTER, the game is too easy. BUHUUU, fix it, it's broken."

Agreed. You ramp up your character to be all powerful, and then complain that they are 'all powerful.' Be careful what you wish for, as you just might get it!

Having said this, there is no question that the AI needs some tweaking to be more aggressive, and bosses need to be more 'boss' like to ensure that end game is not a complete walk in the park, especially in hard mode.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard