Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shadyia Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I hail from the old school, P&P dice games before EverQuest, even before computers. I still have an AD&D "Deities and Demigods" with Elric and Cthulhu within it's pages.

Remember White Plum Mountain? Descent into the Depths of the Earth? Tomb of Horrors?

Please give us dungeon "modules" for Divinity. I mean, something we can take our max-ed out level characters, meet with friends in a co-op, and play together.

Make Divinity a game played between friends. You get on Steam or Skype and write "Hey, did you get the new DOS addon "Fires of the Demonforge"? Really? Great! I'll bring my knight, you bring your witch and have you sister play her cleric tonight and let's do this thing!"

You do that, and this game will never die.

"I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure." --Ellen Ripley
H
stranger
stranger
H
Originally Posted by Shadyia
I hail from the old school, P&P dice games before EverQuest, even before computers. I still have an AD&D "Deities and Demigods" with Elric and Cthulhu within it's pages.

Remember White Plum Mountain? Descent into the Depths of the Earth? Tomb of Horrors?

Please give us dungeon "modules" for Divinity. I mean, something we can take our max-ed out level characters, meet with friends in a co-op, and play together.

Make Divinity a game played between friends. You get on Steam or Skype and write "Hey, did you get the new DOS addon "Fires of the Demonforge"? Really? Great! I'll bring my knight, you bring your witch and have you sister play her cleric tonight and let's do this thing!"

You do that, and this game will never die.

I feel you, I have Dragonlance campaign settings and know the campaign very well, but this game is already dead.

The game died because of the poor ruleset Larian have implemented. The game does not have the necessary means to survive as an RPG, it has nothing of a good RPG which ensures longevity.

Things like skills being tied to one attribute. You can't multiclass in this game, it is impossible to create an interesting class (like in Neverwinter nights for example). So you are stuck with the usual dagger-rogue, staff-wizard, sword-fighter.

There is no dual weild in the game. There is no potential for more exotic weapons like katanas, kukris, curved daggers or flails. Dexterity just means archer/dagger that is about it.

Even with mods, the mechanics and ruleset would need a MASSIVE overhaul for this to be viable. It's a failed effort overall.

Shadyia Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Halpmepls
It's a failed effort overall.

If that's true, it's very sad. I feel the limits of the this game as well. I was shocked one could not duel wield.

MMOs these days are a dime a dozen. TOR spent--what?--200 million and went F2P in a year or so.

My friends are seeking a personal game, a P&P-esk game we can play over the web. Gamers of my generation grew up, started families and moved away, but we pine of the days of playing with friends. Not a massive purple-item quest-hunt, but a way to bring back that feeling of playing a personal game with friends.

As far as I know, that game doesn't exist. Maybe NeverWinter Nights. I dono. I play the first single-player. Too easy. Got bored.

Can DOS give us this?

"I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure." --Ellen Ripley
H
stranger
stranger
H
It's a failed effort overall.

If that's true, it's very sad. I feel the limits of the this game as well. I was shocked one could not duel wield.

MMOs these days are a dime a dozen. TOR spent--what?--200 million and went F2P in a year or so.

My friends are seeking a personal game, a P&P-esk game we can play over the web. Gamers of my generation grew up, started families and moved away, but we pine of the days of playing with friends. Not a massive purple-item quest-hunt, but a way to bring back that feeling of playing a personal game with friends.

As far as I know, that game doesn't exist. Maybe NeverWinter Nights. I dono. I play the first single-player. Too easy. Got bored.

Can DOS give us this?

DOS can't give you that, I hoped it would but it fails miserably.

The first Neverwinter was the closest thing to pen-an-paper on a computer. You could role-play the personality you chose in a chatroom in-game.

There were many classes to choose, enormous depth and lots of persistent-world modules people created. Some of these even featured engines like "Gigaschatten engine" which had a deep economy, a complex crafting system and unrivalled scope for roleplay in any CRPG before.

All this eventually lead to MMOs. But MMOs are very different games now, they are not like CRPGs at all.

Anyway, DOS is far far from any experience like that, whether in single or multiplayer.

Last edited by Halpmepls; 23/07/14 07:50 AM.
G
stranger
stranger
G
I wouldn't recommend listening to Halpmepls in anything regarding D:OS he is clearly biased and has some kind of grudge against this game. Just look at his posts they all are filled with rediculous accusations with little to no arguments

<snip>, but this game is already dead.

Really? Already dead? You mean the game that was number one seller for 2 and a bit weeks on Steam, and has only recently toppled down to 3-4 because of a couple of sales.

The game died because of the poor ruleset Larian have implemented. The game does not have the necessary means to survive as an RPG, it has nothing of a good RPG which ensures longevity.

Things like skills being tied to one attribute. You can't multiclass in this game, it is impossible to create an interesting class (like in Neverwinter nights for example). So you are stuck with the usual dagger-rogue, staff-wizard, sword-fighter.

There is no dual weild in the game. There is no potential for more exotic weapons like katanas, kukris, curved daggers or flails. Dexterity just means archer/dagger that is about it.

Even with mods, the mechanics and ruleset would need a MASSIVE overhaul for this to be viable. It's a failed effort overall.

Mmm my Ranger/Rogue/Mage hybrid begs to differ. I use a bow/single handed sword/dagger as needs be, and use magic to supplement my skills. Personally I find the system nicer than say D&D's old multiclassing/dual classing system where you lost access to skills till your new class was higher than the old one. Each to their own I guess.

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
Please do not fall for the posts of Halpmepls. He's literally playing a joke by posting a parody of people who complain about this game. While I think he is pretty funny, it is unfortunately not very constructive.

The good news is that Larian released this game with a Mod Engine. We should be seeing some awesome dungeon adventures come out hopefully in the next few months! Or better yet, you can make them yourself if you want! The Nexus Mod page for Original Sin is growing every day!

Shadyia Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Incendax
The good news is that Larian released this game with a Mod Engine.

I saw the video on Steam that demoed the Mod Engine. It's one of the things that really attracted me to D:OS.

What about my desire/wish to take one character from a single-player game and co-op it with other player's characters in an 'adventure module/addon"? Does D:OS currently support that?

G
stranger
stranger
G

What about my desire/wish to take one character from a single-player game and co-op it with other player's characters in an 'adventure module/addon"? Does D:OS currently support that?

AFAIK, no

B
apprentice
apprentice
B

I agree. But I hope they try to do the overhaul. They have a great platform. They need to perfect their rule set to add depth, scaling, and balance.

I hope they can think of some projects, that allow them to take this core platform, and make iterative improvements.

enthusiast
enthusiast
What I know is that they will update the game (a major one) on August or later. Additionally, their editors will also be updated (NO ETA) to accommodate future games larian will create. They say that they will use the divinity engine for their games in the future.

I'm hoping for a Real time action than turn based for the upcoming updates...

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
T
stranger
stranger
T

Let's hope they keep turn-based combat !

S
stranger
stranger
S
love the turn-based stuff, but if someone can pull off a character action proof-of-concept... mmm... now, that'd be so boss

addict
addict
Originally Posted by henryv

Considering that this is the game Larian has wanted to make since Divine Divinity, I'd say the chances of that are pretty low.

Shadyia Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by henryv

I am also happy with the turn-base. I think that would work best in this fantasy I have of playing D:OS with friends.

It would be like the AD&D games I had, which were turned-based.

They have a great idea here. I hope they don't blow it.

Link Copied to Clipboard