Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Well some people take offense for the strangest things, it has nothing to do with hiding behind a monitor, Gotcha, Im manners personified.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Originally Posted by freddebw
Well some people take offense for the strangest things, it has nothing to do with hiding behind a monitor, Gotcha, Im manners personified.

Ok, I'm really only trying to explain, it's not that weird to find 'retarded' offensive. The mentally disabled are a group who deserve linguistic sympathy. If you'd said the game design was 'gay' and been called out on it, would you grasp why it was wrong? Or been racially offensive about Begians?

In a totally different category is Darth, who seems to think it's weird that using female terms to diminish men isn't intrinsically sexist. Or that I shouldn't stand up against it. There are some forums I wouldn't bother mentioning it, but from reading these forums for several months I've found almost every user here uses appropriate language. One or two members can get a bit personal but people don't throw around hate speech. So I do think it's worth saying here that sexism isn't ok. And no, Darth, that isn't a political point. It's a human one.

Last edited by Vandraman; 24/07/14 03:53 PM.
F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Thing is i don't call people who are mentally handicapped for retarded, so i don't draw the Connection between the cases.

And it might not be 100% linguistical correct definition wise, but i Think retarded can apply to both people and situations, atleast this is how the Word often is used, and if you would call someone retarded it has nothing to do wether they have CP, downs syndrom or something like that, but because they do stupid stuff(i want to say " stupid ass shit" here but that would be offensive i assume, even though this is how people talk in real life). Why do we have to act like 5 year olds when it comes to written language, and censor everything? People swear irl, thats the way it is, why shouldnt internet reflect that? Ofc there is a line, but most stuff are really innocent.

On a sidenote, I could probably have said gay too, I might have irl (seen the southpark episode about changing the meaning of gay?), but I can see how using that as a negative experience is offensive, but i can't see how a Word used for what it is, is offensive.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Vandraman

Ok, I'm really only trying to explain, it's not that weird to find 'retarded' offensive. The mentally disabled are a group who deserve linguistic sympathy. If you'd said the game design was 'gay' and been called out on it, would you grasp why it was wrong? Or been racially offensive about Begians?

In a totally different category is Darth, who seems to think it's weird that using female terms to diminish men isn't intrinsically sexist. Or that I shouldn't stand up against it. There are some forums I wouldn't bother mentioning it, but from reading these forums for several months I've found almost every user here uses appropriate language. One or two members can get a bit personal but people don't throw around hate speech. So I do think it's worth saying here that sexism isn't ok. And no, Darth, that isn't a political point. It's a human one.

That's weird because I could have sworn cats are the ones entitled to hurt feelings, not people. I'd say it's a cat issue rather than a human one. But at any rate do not forget to scrub when you shower, sounds like that sand is still stuck in those sensitive areas.

Hahahahaha.....I am literally laughing to tears right now.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 24/07/14 04:39 PM.

Well, I wasn't trying to point my finger to anyone. I was just trying to tell Vandraman in my own way that telling people to behave on a forum is, well, too much of a challenge. smile

Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
Hahahahaha.....I am literally laughing to tears right now.

Which really only tells people one thing: You have a lot of growing up to do. But you'll get there one day. up

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
Originally Posted by Vandraman
The mentally disabled are a group who deserve linguistic sympathy. If you'd said the game design was 'gay' and been called out on it, would you grasp why it was wrong? Or been racially offensive about Begians?
Most of my friends are gay and they do not mind someone using the term gay as an insult. I'm being told by one of them RIGHT NOW that it may be the same word, but a different definition is being used, just like gay used to mean happy. My wife was blind, and she loved a good blind joke and cracked blind jokes all the time. Honestly, the vast majority of people who could be considered disabled DO NOT want their hand held and to be treated as delicate and different from everyone else.

It's all about context, and if there was any intent to actively offend the group in question.

R
stranger
stranger
R
I'm not a mod or anything, but i think people shouldn't derail help threads to complain about other people not catering to their sensitivities when it's clear that there weren't any bad intentions or insults directed at anyone.

From what i've seen, someone called a game mechanic retarded(A.K.A. Stupid) and a videogame character a pussy. That doesn't seem to justify all this ruckus, if you ask me.

F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Originally Posted by rokkie
I'm not a mod or anything, but i think people shouldn't derail help threads to complain about other people not catering to their sensitivities when it's clear that there weren't any bad intentions or insults directed at anyone.

From what i've seen, someone called a game mechanic retarded(A.K.A. Stupid) and a videogame character a pussy. That doesn't seem to justify all this ruckus, if you ask me.

This, and to get on topic, I managed to kill this orc, by failing to pickpocket, so they aggroed me, and Went killable. I did this with all orcs, and managed to save the cat, and Mayor too.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by rokkie

This, and to get on topic, I managed to kill this orc, by failing to pickpocket, so they aggroed me, and Went killable. I did this with all orcs, and managed to save the cat, and Mayor too.

You know there's a quest to make some aged vodka that's supposed to make them easier to kill, that's what the journal entry says anyway....not sure if by easier they mean possible or what.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 24/07/14 05:24 PM.
F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
I know I have done Everything, the problem wasn't it was hard, because it isnt. problem was, And ive seen many have it, that one orc, once a caster too, become invulnerable and just runs around. Another problem was, friendly npcs turning hostile, like the cat, and Mayor of the Town, without you attacking them. Like depending on wether they already aggroed the orcs Before etc. When they aggroed orc first, they stayed friendly, but got killed by the humans AOE and Rickochet etc. But killing all orcs vefore the fight solved this, this however is not what you should have to do to get by.

stranger
stranger
Hey I just wanted to get into this thread to let you know that you guys shouldn't be using too many letters. It literally hurts my eyes having to sit here and read each and every word you type, instead of you just pre-editing your posts to make them as short and concise as possible.

In fact, sitting here and typing this out is making my eyes hurt even more because I have to look at every word I type to make sure that I'm not misspelling anything. Could we please all just be civilized and think of all the people with eye problems that have to trudge through these threads all the time? I know we're all adults here, so please let's stop being hurtful to one-another.

I love you guys.

It's easy to make something difficult.
It's difficult to make something easy.
I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
if only people would learn how ignorant and offensive they are, that would be great.

Darth reported.

watch yourself.

H
stranger
stranger
H
Please lock this thread and others like it, and at least temp ban the trolls.

Every time I click a thread 2+ pages long expecting helpful comments, it's 2+ pages of nothing about the game.

As a minor side note to the OP - if you are near an object that you cannot reach, it's most likely not a bug. You need telekinesis to grab it. And if it's a bug - well try the tech forum. Not sure why this thread is here at all.

journeyman
journeyman
Yeah, so, about that rabbit, unlike any other rabbit, it's got a name. And it will only attack you if you 'accidentally' hurt it like say, using the feather teleport to bring him near or petrified to stop it from running so you can get close to it.

And he is a dragon, or so he thinks.

Last edited by SpaceHamster; 25/07/14 02:08 AM.
old hand
old hand
I didn't think about petrifying rabbits and rats, it would be a temporary fix for my biggest complaint about the game. They are such a pain in the ass to chase after.

Thanks for the tip!

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
Support
Support

While I don't think the topic needs to be locked, it is off topic (not to the point of moving to a chat forum, yet), and defiantly not helpful.

There is a difference between using language that someone else finds offensive (justifiably or not) and deliberately responding in a crude or offensive manner. The forum doesn't have to be PG rated, but there is no reason to deliberately be offensive, either.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by LightningLockey
I didn't think about petrifying rabbits and rats, it would be a temporary fix for my biggest complaint about the game. They are such a pain in the ass to chase after.

Thanks for the tip!

I feel the same. biggrin

F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Originally Posted by Haga
Please lock this thread and others like it, and at least temp ban the trolls.

Every time I click a thread 2+ pages long expecting helpful comments, it's 2+ pages of nothing about the game.

As a minor side note to the OP - if you are near an object that you cannot reach, it's most likely not a bug. You need telekinesis to grab it. And if it's a bug - well try the tech forum. Not sure why this thread is here at all.

I've tried pumping telikines to max (I have like 10 spare Points Always, because i don't know what to chose, and i don't want any regrets smile ), while also having +2-3 already from items, doesn't help. I mean fx, there is some book over the fireplace in wizards house in act3. Can you grab it? I can't, and it bugs me out, it's the same at many places, and some times trying to grab something, your character has to move like 15 meters in the wrong direction, to grab it, I mean what the F?

There could be 3 shelves right beside eachother, one is "can't reach" the other one works fine, the third your character walks away and loots from 20 meters away...

Last edited by freddebw; 25/07/14 03:10 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard