Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Mr. C Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Because it's increasingly becoming apparent we're kind of on our own here...

R
addict
addict
R
Raze is the only mod I see with any sort of regularity. And since I think all of the mods are Larian employees, then we're likely being left alone when it's night-time where they are all located.

old hand
old hand
We do need far better forum moderation here, this is the 2nd time I've seen the forums spammed to hell with tv links to sporting events. I guess every weekend this place is going to get spam blasted.

We also got quite a few trolls on the loose causing flame wars too. This shit needs to end.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 27/07/14 12:10 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
enthusiast
enthusiast
as long as spam is removed then its fine

Support
Support

I have to sleep sometime. It wouldn't hurt to have a couple moderators in different time zones...

Off hand I can't think of many people who may want to volunteer who have been around awhile, are generally helpful and have not gotten involved in any flame wars (even if they were 'right'). Arguing is fine, but if I make someone a moderator it would convey some official endorsement and their posts would reflect on Larian, so they could need to remain mostly professional (I'm not claiming to be perfect in that regard myself).

journeyman
journeyman
yah woz alot of boxin an sport an such

imho shud be moderate betta

but heey...erry1 is buzzy man/women sooo.....i don expect mods eryday of da week

but heh

Spaghetti is life, Spaghetti is love.
old hand
old hand
No, I don't remember. I've been here since 2010 and I've only ever seen Raze and Macbeth as the mods along with the occasional Larian employee!

The spam bots have shown up for years, nothing new there. However, I agree that there should probably be more mods now that there's more users on the forum.

Originally Posted by Raze

I have to sleep sometime.

Sleep is overrated. *places matches between Raze's eyelids* Back to work!

Seriously though, I know Larian isn't the biggest developer in the world (understatement), but having only one active moderator around? Yikes. I pity Raze.

Seems to me that Larian should want to have a nice and safe community for their latest game, to make newcomers feel welcome and to create a nice modding community. Can't manage that with only one/two people, especially with D:OS' popularity in the rise.

addict
addict
There were 10 pages of spam here. lol

I don't think additional mods are required, they just have to setup the forum software so that the first post of a newly registered member has to be approved by a mod.

journeyman
journeyman
Being a mod can be a thankless task and it also can be very time consuming. Think carefully before you volunteer!! smile

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by corwin
Being a mod can be a thankless task and it also can be very time consuming. Think carefully before you volunteer!! smile

Yeah. I'm not in a hurry to put my name forward, that's for certain!

Edit: oopsie.

Last edited by Vometia; 28/07/14 07:57 PM.

J'aime le fromage.
addict
addict
I'd volunteer if I actually had the qualifications for it.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
addict
addict
Here we go again. We should have 10 pages of spam in no time.

xD

Originally Posted by EinTroll
I'd volunteer if I actually had the qualifications for it.

Ditto, I haven't played through to the endgame, & aren't completely familiar with the game mechanics. But it seems clear that Raze could use some help. Sleep is overrated, but necessary.

Support
Support
Originally Posted by dlux
they just have to setup the forum software so that the first post of a newly registered member has to be approved by a mod.

I think it would work better if links in posts could be disabled for new accounts, until a reasonable time and post count limit, and possibly post frequency limits. That would be more elaborate to set up than enabling moderator approval, though.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I got the honor of joining as mod. The main purpose is help delete spam mail when I see it.

veteran
veteran
Restricting posting for new members scares of new members however... and do we really want that with the game just out the door and all those new people coming here asking questions, reporting stuff, discussing things, or asking help for their technical issues? I would say no.
And making each of those first post moderator-approved... yeah, that would be hell too.

So I suppose really the only real solution was a new mod. And seems we got it(?)
And now we have 3(!) threads about spam spamming general. Bit spammy, wouldn't you say? 0_o

addict
addict
they just have to setup the forum software so that the first post of a newly registered member has to be approved by a mod.

I think it would work better if links in posts could be disabled for new accounts, until a reasonable time and post count limit, and possibly post frequency limits. That would be more elaborate to set up than enabling moderator approval, though.
That would also work.

journeyman
journeyman

Check if there is a mod for UBB forums that does that. I use the SMF forums and have been using a couple of mods that...

1. Prevent any new members from posting links (actually, it simply garbles the links so that they are not clickable) until the user has posted 25 messages, and

2. Use a mod that checks new member registrations against the "stop forum spam" database and anybody that is in the SFS database gets put into a manual moderation queue where an admin has to manually activate the account, (which never happens when they are in the Stop Forum Spam database.

I seem to remember that there were similar if not the same types of mods for the UBB forum software a while back somebody told me.

So far on one of my sites, the SFS database system has stopped over 56,000 spammers from finishing their registration on one of my forums.

Support
Support

UBB at least has access to SFS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard