Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
In one of the very recent launch streams Larian were asked if they planned to release a Developer Cut for Original Sin like they did with Divinity II later on and Swen pointed out that the version shown in the stream was a developer cut and said nothing else of it....well....where is it? Unless I'm missing something there's no way for us to access console commands on the go and have to start digging into the game's files ourselves and start changing stuff that way. What's the deal here?

The toolkit we were given is laughably broken and stripped of nearly all usefulness and if that wasn't enough any mod actually created in it cannot work with any other mod....provided anything could be created in it. Then add to that that no mod could work with existing saves and on and on and on. Bloody hell I've yet to see a single simplistic mod come out of it in nearly a month.

veteran
veteran
I realise who I'm dealing with but...

"Developer's Version" is exactly what it says... the version for Developers. Pre-Launch. Pre-Final. With debugging stuff fogging the screen, taking resources logging stuff, etc.

It's not the same as Developer's Cut.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
I realise who I'm dealing with but...

"Developer's Version" is exactly what it says... the version for Developers. Pre-Launch. Pre-Final. With debugging stuff fogging the screen, taking resources logging stuff, etc.

It's not the same as Developer's Cut.

Oh suck it up, if you're still holding a grudge over the last argument you should really be worried about yourself rather than the horrible people on the internets who have different opinions on how games should be balanced....and you're the one talking about others needing to grow up.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 28/07/14 03:00 AM.
veteran
veteran
I answer your question and that's your version of "Thanks", eh?
Well, last time I do that... smirk

enthusiast
enthusiast
Hassat is right, you know.

Developer's cut and developer mode is not the same. Developer mode is normally for internal use only.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Jacob Marner

Developer's cut and developer mode is not the same. Developer mode is normally for internal use only.

Well yeah... But if you guys actually read the OP, it will become obvious that what he's asking for is the Developer's Cut exactly like for Divinity 2.

He's not interested in your opinions of the difference between a Developer Mode and a Developer's Cut release, he's asking if there's going to be a similar release for D:OS as there was for Divinity 2. Clear now?

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
AFAIK, no such thing as a developer's cut/mode has been mentioned so far. I *think* we might expect something like this or D:OS gold edition at some point in the future. However, considering that for DKS the developer's cut war released 3 years after the game launch I wouldn't expect a Developer's Cut for D:OS very soon...

veteran
veteran
Seeing as DKS and DKS: DC where released years after release... 2 weeks after release is pretty premature to ask this.

How long did it take CDProject for the 2 Witcher Games? (EE called instead of DC)

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Singbird
Originally Posted by Jacob Marner

Well yeah... But if you guys actually read the OP, it will become obvious that what he's asking for is the Developer's Cut exactly like for Divinity 2.

He's not interested in your opinions of the difference between a Developer Mode and a Developer's Cut release, he's asking if there's going to be a similar release for D:OS as there was for Divinity 2. Clear now?

Exactly!! The question as it was asked during the live stream should have been just as clear as it precisely asked about the release of a Developer Cut similar to Divinity II's for Original Sin.....simply reading the question should leave no doubts if you apply the slightest bit of common sense. All Swen said was that the version being played was a developer cut....great, but while he did't answer the question leaving it at that does strongly hint at its release and not exactly in years if its being shown at the moment.

It basically amounts to:

q: Will you release a Developer Cut for Original Sin?

a: We're showing it to you now.

Ok well.....when can we expect it? What's up with it?

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
To be honest, I think there might have been some kind of a misunderstanding during the live stream (like the one ambiguous answer about the romances in D:OS). I really do not think that they are going to release a Developer's cut anytime in the near future.

There are literally no other hints/information about a possible Developer's cut apart from this one question during the live stream. Then, they just released the Collector's Edition and I would strongly suspect that they are not going to release another "premium" version of D:OS for at least another year maybe (or at least not as long as there is still outstanding content like additional companions). And the fact that Swen was playing developer's version during the live stream does not mean that they are going to release it soon (didn't Swen just use the console commands for cheating and leveling characters so that he could easily show the interesting parts of the game?)

So, I would say that in order to avoid disappointment we probably shouldn't expect a developer's cut soon (which does not mean that I wouldn't be really hyped if we actually got it).

Edit: Afaik, most Larian devs are on holiday until August 4th, so we probably won't get an official answer in this thread.

Last edited by Elwyn; 28/07/14 05:36 PM.
veteran
veteran
It's just a confusion there between cut and version.

No, that's not some super-duped Deluxe version including expansion that's coming in 2 years that they already have done now... that's just crazy.

old hand
old hand
I read little here, but why would a dev state anything other than at releases this is the be all end all. If they release a game and then say there will be a super duper version later on, they'd worry sales would be lost now for some who would wait for the primo exp. I guess I'd go with their past history which dictates there will be a super duper sometime in the future, but they aren't going to release that when the game first goes on sale. Do we think their stupid?

enthusiast
enthusiast
This is not a game meant to be played forever. The enemies don't respawn, you don't just gain levels forever, at a certain point you've just killed everything you need to kill and the game is over.

I'm not saying that's an inherently bad thing, you know. I'm actually coming from a background of ARPGs like Diablo and Path of Exile, and the whole "play this forever" thing those games push has got worn out on me.

However, it does mean that a lot of the game's replay value rests on modding. In terms of the official game, yes, the battle is over, but one way of looking at that is: now we need to find a mod we like so the fighting can start again. It's a healthy community of new mods being released which will keep D:OS from becoming stale. It's like having open-source, non-canon sequels.

So if Larian wants to hold onto their dev tools rather than release them right away, I know this sounds dramatic, but they do so at their own peril. The natural goodness of this game is going to last for a while, so there's still time, but you can only replay something like this so much. Eventually people will move on. It would really be in Larian's best interest to allow modders to put out some high-quality content before that happens.

A year from now would be far too late.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 29/07/14 04:08 AM.
addict
addict
I'm sure they will, but they have to prioritize what they work on, since they're a small studio. Cleaning up their editor - so it's intuitive and simple enough to use for the modding community - takes time. Bug fixes and general polish take precedent, then they can work on furthering the editor (something which they've already stated will be an ongoing process for them).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Modders aren't your average users. A high degree of polish isn't necessary; core functionality, is. For example, right now talents are hardcoded into the .exe (according to what I've heard), and that's something that needs to come out and become moddable. Stuff like that.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 29/07/14 05:50 AM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by ScrotieMcB
Modders aren't your average users. A high degree of polish isn't necessary; core functionality, is. For example, right now talents are hardcoded into the .exe (according to what I've heard), and that's something that needs to come out and become moddable. Stuff like that.

I agree....they don't need to dumb it down they just need to unlock it's full functionality and let us use it. People can learn and figure it out.

addict
addict
I obviously worded that incorrectly, what I meant was simply cleaning up the code, since normal developer tools aren't exactly intuitive to the average person, or even the average modder. Sure, it could eventually be worked out what does what, but it makes more sense for Larian to clean it up once they have the time.

enthusiast
enthusiast
If by "cleaning up" you mean unpacking hidden things (like the aforementioned talent system) from the .exe and making them accessible to modding, then yes, that's precisely what needs to happen. I don't mean to include reverse-engineering .exe files in my definition of modding. :p

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 29/07/14 09:41 AM.
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
In one of the very recent launch streams Larian were asked if they planned to release a Developer Cut for Original Sin like they did with Divinity II later on and Swen pointed out that the version shown in the stream was a developer cut...
The Divinity II Developer's Cut offered the following:
  • Divinity II plus Flames of Vengeance expansion plus updates;
  • Extensive documentation including designers' notes (and a game retrospective) quest details for QA testers;
  • An alternative .exe with a console that could be used to add items, change shape and a whole host of other game-breaking-but-fun things.
Given the recent release of Original Sin, it's arguably too soon for some of the items so it seems likely that Swen's answer was a mis-interpretation of the question.

However there's no reason why expansions, a console and more documentation can't be released at a later date. If Larian intend to provide support for as long as they've suggested (and the commercial success of D:OS so far), then there may be several expansions and alternative adventures in years to come.

veteran
veteran
Well, aside from Developer's Version, Cut... now also the SDK is added for more confusion.

FYI, the Editor is already out. FYI; due to copyrightreasons they obviously can't release all they used (they can't just give away stuff they need to pay a hefty license for).
They can't simply give what they used... or they're bankrupt before you can say "Original Sin" from lawsuits...

Link Copied to Clipboard