Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
tx3000 Offline OP
banned
OP Offline
banned
T
The crafting system in this game needs a patch and let me explain why and for what.

I was under the impression that a developer puts something in a game for people to use, not put all these really overly obscure restrictions on them and rendering them practically useless. People pointing to the wiki, the forum and outside places are beyond irritating and don't seem to get the simple concept that you buy a game to play and stay in it, not to spend stupendous amounts of time outside of the game, trying to get answers to things that should have been explained in the game itself with on screen instructions. Maybe those people like doing that, do but I sure as hell don't and I don't appreciate people pushing their play onto me as if I'm supposed to just accept that just because that's what they THINK people like to do.

Now that's out the way let me get into the heart of the matter.

Let me first state that I'm level 5, with a character that has a crafting level of 3, and I've unlocked a ton of recipe's. I say that because I don't want responses referencing my crafting level or if I've already learned unlocked the recipe. My crafting level its high enough for now and I know about the recipe unlocks.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway here is the main problem with the crafting system in this game:

The only way to craft in this game is to get 2 parts of something to craft. Why That's a problem is because of the random loot system. Even the current vendor's in the game constantly have random items. So the chances of getting the exact 2 items needed to create something even if you visit every vendor in a town, is still like winning the lottery.

Here is a problem in my game that was caused by this random loot system. I literally have not been able to locate a hammer anywhere in my current game. And I don't mean I haven't looked around I mean it's like hammers don't exist in my game at all. There is no vendor that has a hammer, there aren't any on the ground anywhere or in any crate...etc.... I mean I cannot find a hammer...So I cannot upgrade my weapons/armor for that specific reason.

At least put vendors in the game that have what you need because even if you know what's needed if you cannot ever find those

---------------------------------------------------------------

Another extremely irritating problem is this whole drag and drop system. Even If you are lucky enough to get 2 parts of something, when you have 2 correct parts (Such as food) it should be as simple as combining the items the same way you do with regular arrows right...Consistency is the problem in this section.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So a basic tutorial for types of crafting with one example needs to be placed into the game because without even having the baseline for the type of item you want to craft, you aren't going to be able to craft anything so art least give one example people can follow.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The final annoying problem is upgrading example is See above regarding the hammer problem I have)
Out of the 40 total hours I've played this, I haven't been able to upgrade any items because it hasn't been explained anything involved in doing so such as what's needed or how to do it, and if it has to be done in a specific place, where that place is.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, yeah, yeah people say it's all about exploring experimenting..Blah, Blah, Blah...but the people saying that fail to get what they're saying isn't even possible without having been explained and given the baseline needed in order to be able to do the exploring and experimenting.

So when is a patch coming for this to fix this lack of being able to craft?

Last edited by tx3000; 28/07/14 10:14 PM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
There should be a hammer on the ground next to the Forge behind the abandoned house, the abandoned house is directly to the left of the King crab inn on your map.

T
tx3000 Offline OP
banned
OP Offline
banned
T
Except there isn't.
Just to let you know I pretty much play the entire game with ALT pressed. If there was a hammer on the ground I would have seen it due to being highlighted.

Last edited by tx3000; 28/07/14 10:38 PM.
A
A
Originally Posted by tx3000
There isn't

Than you have looted it already smile

addict
addict
The game really needs a crafting UI, no doubt about that.

At the moment crafting in D:OS is pretty much almost a pure guessing game. I couldn't be bothered to sit there for hours dragging crap around through my inventory to see if anything happens and what I might craft by doing so. Recipe books are of course helpful, but metagaming is the only way to really take full advantage of the crafting system, which isn't so great IMO.

A crafting UI would be very nice, but no idea if we will ever get that.

T
tx3000 Offline OP
banned
OP Offline
banned
T

No offense but I expect being told things like that from kids on gamefaqs, not here.

Unlike most people, if I say something wasn't there or something doesn't work or something is bugged I mean exactly what I say, just that.

In the case of the hammer, I didn't loot it, I didn't pick it up and sell it without remembering, it wasn't there PERIOD.

I don't appreciate being contradicted.

addict
addict
There are litteraly hundreds of hammers in the game, no idea why you are having problems finding one.

T
tx3000 Offline OP
banned
OP Offline
banned
T
@dlux
Even knowing what is needed the issue I'm talking about is total lack of what's needed in order to be able to guess.

Because of the random loot system in this game, you'd be lucky if you could find 6 items to craft 3 things.

It's just way too scarce to even be implemented in this game.

Originally Posted by dlux
There are litteraly hundreds of hammers in the game, no idea why you are having problems finding one.

Me either. However the ironic thing about this whole mess is that the first time I went through this game to get used to how it was and wasn't using a serious character, I found tons of them, in fact that's all I kept finding all over the place. Even in Vendors. But I couldn't find any repair hammers.

Once I got used to the game and started a serious character the one I have now, this time I found plenty of Repair hammers but I cannot find one hammer

And that's why I brought it up.

Last edited by tx3000; 28/07/14 10:50 PM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
An hammer is available (along with a tomato) at the entrance of cyseal just before the orc ship lands.

Still I do agree the crafting design is deeply flawed.
Common item such as nine inch nails are actually as rare as ruby.
80% of the crafting recipe are not in any recipe book. The developers probably intended us to experiment ourselves but we have no way to keep track of the discovered recipe in game and most of the recipe makes no sense (tooth + knife = electrical arrowhead???) while some which make sense are not implemented (why can't I craft a dagger/metal scrap from an iron bar?)

T
tx3000 Offline OP
banned
OP Offline
banned
T
Originally Posted by Mugu
An hammer is available (along with a tomato) at the entrance of cyseal just before the orc ship lands.

Not in my game it wasn't. People cannot apply what they found for random items in their game to another person's game. It doesn't work like that.

For example, I found tons of Nine-Inch nails while you can barely find any! But me posting where I found them doesn't do anything for you because my game location doesn't apply to your game, and vice-versa.

Last edited by tx3000; 28/07/14 11:11 PM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
I ran into a similar problem, for the longest time I couldn't find a pickax for mining. FYI any axe can be used to break down a log into branches. Do you know where the other forge is?

old hand
old hand
My suggestion is to dream about how awesome D:OS 2 will be.

T
tx3000 Offline OP
banned
OP Offline
banned
T
Originally Posted by Dustinsouls
I ran into a similar problem, for the longest time I couldn't find a pickax for mining. FYI any axe can be used to break down a log into branches. Do you know where the other forge is?

Other forge? Are you asking me because you know and you want to tell me if I don't know to be helpful, or are you asking because you know there is another one somewhere and you want to know?

There is only 1 forge I have found and know about which is in the first town and I have not been anywhere else.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M

Not in my game it wasn't.
I don't know why people keep saying my game has HAMMERS IT DOES NOT. I'm level 5 and have not found one anywhere, they aren't on any vendor I've looked at, they aren't on the ground (I hold ALT, it's not in crates, sacks fish piles in dirt on dead bodies up on roof's on benches THEY DO NOT EXIST IN MY GAME SO FAR..

Not 1 hammer anywhere now stop posting replies saying where hammers were in your game..That is your game not mine.

This hammer (as well as the one near the forge that Dustinsouls was referring to) has a fixed position (at least in my version of the game 1.0.81). I did several reroll and it was always there (along with the juicy tomato). Just give it another try if you have the same version.

If still not, the hammer has a very small chance to be available in barter with random people (not regular shop which have a semi-fixed item list).

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
tx, it's not random.
Every single time you play the game there will be a hammer and a tomato laying on the ground, before you fight the orcs.
In Cyseal, every time you play, there will be a hammer laying on the ground near the forge.

I have started new games multiple times. Not all the loot is random.
Either you missed them, sold them, or your play-through is bugged and all hammers have disappeared from your world.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S

Not in my game it wasn't. People cannot apply what they found for random items in their game to another person's game. It doesn't work like that.

For example, I found tons of Nine-Inch nails while you can barely find any! But me posting where I found them doesn't do anything for you because my game location doesn't apply to your game, and vice-versa.

Wrong. That hammer is ALWAYS there along with a tomato.

addict
addict
There are fixed-location hammers in the two places mentioned and in the undertaker's house and in Arhu's workshop. And everywhere.

It's literally impossible to not run into one hammer. Unless your game / save somehow got bugged.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
T
tx3000 Offline OP
banned
OP Offline
banned
T
Originally Posted by Sinthesizer
Wrong. That hammer is ALWAYS there along with a tomato.

Sorry, but it's not. If it was then I would have picked it up.

Originally Posted by EinTroll
There are fixed-location hammers in the two places mentioned and in the undertaker's house and in Arhu's workshop. And everywhere.

It's literally impossible to not run into one hammer. Unless your game / save somehow got bugged.

Well then literally impossible has a new definition because they don't exist in my game so far that I can find. I'm level 5 and there isn't a single hammer anywhere.

And you guys can say hammers are in fixed locations all you want, but that's not going to change the fact that I haven't found a single hammer anywhere in my game yet.

Last edited by tx3000; 28/07/14 11:56 PM.
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
LOL OK, if you insist to not listen. Enjoy your game.

D
stranger
stranger
D
There is another forge, far southeast on cyseal map just beyond the poisoned garden. That house is booby-trapped. There is a hammer there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard