Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
To be fair, I think you should not be able to see these smelly panties if you have not activated the relevant dialogue before. This just makes no sense role playing wise.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Neither does pulling a bush out of thin air when you decide to try sneaking.

T
tx3000 Offline OP
banned
OP Offline
banned
T
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
Not everything related to a quest will update your questlog... sometimes you need to do *gasp* thinking for yourself.
It's a good idea to get used to that now rather than expect heavy handholding that will never come...

Without a precision set up and specific path it's impossible to about the panties connected to the murder by normal means and conversations in the game and all of you saying that knows this. So quit acting like it's obvious and cannot be missed and if someone doesn't know you start up with the hand holding bullshit!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by tx3000
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
Not everything related to a quest will update your questlog... sometimes you need to do *gasp* thinking for yourself.
It's a good idea to get used to that now rather than expect heavy handholding that will never come...

Without a precision set up and specific path it's impossible to about the panties connected to the murder by normal means and conversations in the game and all of you saying that knows this. So quit acting like it's obvious and cannot be missed and if someone doesn't know you start up with the hand holding bullshit!

It didn't dawn on you that the smelly panties might be connected to the smelly coat, the smelly boots, or the smelly socks - each one found at the location of a murder suspect? That's not even counting the other four smelly garments that can be pickpocketed from those same murder suspects.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by dirigible
Neither does pulling a bush out of thin air when you decide to try sneaking.

Haha, I believe the whole sneaking animation implementation is another developer joke. I particularly enjoyed the snowman sneak in hiberheim.

However this may not make sense but this doesn't break the story as picking certain quest item without good reason do. Either we can see it along will all the junk in the chest (I am sure you don't need a chest to hold just a panty, no matter how smelly!) or we don't unless certain conditions are met

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Speaking for myself, I didn't even know that the 'smelly X' subquest existed.
I only found the scarf, boots, and panties. The panties I dismissed as a weird easter egg. The boots and scarf I didn't particularly care about. They didn't stand out enough for me to remember where I picked them up (unlike the panties, which give a stat boost), and I never talked to jake's dog after digging up the coffin anyway.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean I think there's something wrong with the game. In lots of games, especially older games, you would find things without really knowing what they meant. You would then discover what they meant by testing them out in various ways. I never bothered to do that with the smelly set, but that's my fault - not the game's.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
I agree this is not a d:os issue but a general crpg issue. Let's just say the problem is more glaring with d:os due to the open and non-linear design. This is an acceptable trade-off but I believe there is still room for improvement.

T
tx3000 Offline OP
banned
OP Offline
banned
T
Originally Posted by Gyson
It didn't dawn on you that the smelly panties might be connected to the smelly coat, the smelly boots, or the smelly socks - each one found at the location of a murder suspect? That's not even counting the other four smelly garments that can be pickpocketed from those same murder suspects.

UMM What Smelly socks, what smelly boots, what smelly coat? I didn't invest in pickpocketing or the petpal trait...I also didn't want to have my reputation lowered so I wouldn't ever start rifling through people's belongings for items I have no clue even exist......So no, I have absolutely no fucking clue to what the hell you're talking about.

Seriously do people like you ever stop to ask if someone has information or are you constantly just an assuming stick of dumb?

Last edited by tx3000; 29/07/14 12:21 AM.
veteran
veteran

UMM What Smelly socks, what smelly boots, what smelly coat? I didn't invest in pickpocketing or the petpal trait...I also didn't want to have my reputation lowered so I wouldn't ever start rifling through people's belongings for items I have no clue even exist......So no, I have absolutely no fucking clue to what the hell you're talking about.

Seriously do people like you ever stop to ask if someone has information or are you constantly just an assuming stick of dumb?

If you're not rifling through people's belongings, why are you asking about the smelly panties that were in Esmerelda's dresser/chest?

The other items I mentioned were in similar containers, no pickpocketing required. My assumptions are based on the information you provide. Never would I guess you didn't make a habit of "rifling through people's belongings" since you already clearly did to obtain the panties in the first place. Now that you've cleared up that NPCs containers are off limits provided they're not in a woman's bedroom, we can move forward.

To answer your question, Aureus has smelly socks in his dresser, Cecil has smelly shoes in his, and Evelyn has a smelly coat in hers.

Someone suggested these items shouldn't spawn unless you've triggered the appropriate quest path. I disagree. I think locating any of these items in the rooms of the various suspects can cause a clever player to take them to the dog before the dog even prompts them for these items. And that's pretty cool moment if/when it happens. Players should be able to reverse engineer a solution.

T
tx3000 Offline OP
banned
OP Offline
banned
T
Someone suggested these items shouldn't spawn unless you've triggered the appropriate quest path. I disagree. I think locating any of these items in the rooms of the various suspects can cause a clever player to take them to the dog before the dog even prompts them for these items. And that's pretty cool if/when it happens.

Except that's extremely piss poor and here is why:

What you're saying has nothing to do with clever or thinking or any of that. In fact it's not even possible to put those pieces together due to there being way to many variables involved.

1. You have to be made aware that these types of items are involved with the murder no matter. Which they are not.

2. You can only know if they're involved with a very precise and specific set up which if you do not do, (Which apparently a lot of people didn't) then all those items just become like everything else in the game you pick up...nothing more than regular items.

3. Things like this need to be consistent if they are not then there will be problems.

4. Now onto the dog, Unless it says right on the item FOR THE DOG or something like it, it is impossible to know enough to open up your inventory and have the dog interact with anything in it. Furthermore the petpal perk would be the only reason anyone would interact with the dog in the first place. So people that don't have the petpal perk can know the dog is trying to tell them something but that is clearly referencing that if you want to know what the dog has to say, then pick the petpal perk so you can talk with it.

5. Finally there are other aspects involved that wouldn't make any sense such as finding these items AFTER the murder is already solved or finding these items without the murder quest even active.

So as you can see what you said is very flawed and next to impossible to do because it requires a precision set up and execution and information you're not given that you MUST have.

Last edited by tx3000; 29/07/14 01:16 AM.
D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
You say its next to impossible, and yet... lots of people DID figure it out.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Fido
cmon they are just having a little fun...have a sense of humor for crying out loud

I guess you should be thankful you have never played the Southpark RPG yet....I think I found about 10 different dildos in Cartmans mom's room :p

[Linked Image]

Dude....dude....seriously.....go away dude....i luv south park and i luved the entire game...u found 1 freaking aspect that bothered you and ur talking smack...

dude....dude........theres a window to ur right.....JUMP OUT!

T
tx3000 Offline OP
banned
OP Offline
banned
T
You say its next to impossible, and yet... lots of people DID figure it out.

That's not what I said at all..Try learning how to comprehend what you read before making stupid replies...Thanks..

veteran
veteran
Someone suggested these items shouldn't spawn unless you've triggered the appropriate quest path. I disagree. I think locating any of these items in the rooms of the various suspects can cause a clever player to take them to the dog before the dog even prompts them for these items. And that's pretty cool if/when it happens.

Except that's extremely piss poor and here is why:

What you're saying has nothing to do with clever or thinking or any of that. In fact it's not even possible to put those pieces together due to there being way to many variables involved.

1. You have to be made aware that these types of items are involved with the murder no matter. Which they are not.

2. You can only know if they're involved with a very precise and specific set up which if you do not do, (Which apparently a lot of people didn't) then all those items just become like everything else in the game you pick up...nothing more than regular items.

3. Things like this need to be consistent if they are not then there will be problems.

4. Now onto the dog, Unless it says right on the item FOR THE DOG or something like it, it is impossible to know enough to open up your inventory and have the dog interact with anything in it. Furthermore the petpal perk would be the only reason anyone would interact with the dog in the first place. So people that don't have the petpal perk can know the dog is trying to tell them something but that is clearly referencing that if you want to know what the dog has to say, then pick the petpal perk so you can talk with it.

5. Finally there are other aspects involved that wouldn't make any sense such as finding these items AFTER the murder is already solved or finding these items without the murder quest even active.

So as you can see what you said is very flawed and next to impossible to do because it requires a precision set up and execution and information you're not given that you MUST have.

Or.. you could just be like "Hmm.. smelly clothing in this suspect's dresser. I wonder..." and recall the barking dog next to Jake's grave and have a free talent point to spend on Pet Pal. And suddenly you feel like a genius because your hunch paid off (and that this is the "best game ever" because it allowed for your crazy hunch in the first place).

Not really that impossible.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D

very flawed and next to impossible to do because it requires a precision set up

next to impossible to do

Yes, that is LITERALLY what you said.
Alright, you convinced me that this guy is just trolling.

T
tx3000 Offline OP
banned
OP Offline
banned
T
@dirigible
You totally butchered what I said and removed the context it was in so no it's not even close to what I said

This is what I said:

This is what you are trying to say I said:
this is next to impossible to do.

There is a major difference between what I said and what you're saying I said.

And if people did it it's because they obviously had the set up that allowed them to do it exactly as I said. But it appears as though you're claiming people did it without the set up I said is needed which yes is impossible. People can be smart, but no one is that smart..

So get your information straight and quit changing around what people say to something other than what they did say just to cause an argument and troll. You won't be able to twist out of context and change anything I post without getting corrected.

Last edited by tx3000; 29/07/14 04:53 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
[quote=Gyson]?nless it says right on the item FOR THE DOG or something like it, it is impossible to know enough to open up your inventory and have the dog interact with anything in it.

I think you need to stop playing this game and go play Skyrim or Amalur or some other game where the quest pointer always shows you where to go next and where every item tells you what it's for and where lateral thinking is not required. It doesn't sound like D:OS is your style of game.

T
tx3000 Offline OP
banned
OP Offline
banned
T
@Havokk
People like you are all the same, you take after the fact knowledge of something there is no way you could have known before hand, and then try to pass it off as if you're smarter than someone who doesn't know making false claims that you somehow figured it out..Anyone with half a brain can see through your bullshit.

But what's really sad is how people like you actually believe what you're saying and tell someone to go play something else like they're dumb for not knowing what you didn't know yourself.

You seriously need to cut the bullshit already, You're nothing but a hypocrite. And contrary to what you think about yourself, you are not smarter than anyone else when it comes to this, you know you didn't figure anything out either. You're simply taking AFTER the fact information and trying to pass it off like you figured something out you never did.

Grow up!

Last edited by tx3000; 29/07/14 05:11 AM.
S
S

If something is tied to a crime scene then label it as such they did with every other item and let you know regardless.

When Sherlock needs a new side-kick, feel confident in the knowledge that you won't be getting a call.

If you want to educate yourself, Larian studios are based in Ghent, Belgium, where the native language is Flemish (Belgium Dutch). You could argue that Larian should have gone with "fragrant" (geurig or perhaps 'human scented' mens geurende), but it's pretty clear they weren't doing a purely sexual joke*. There's a "smelly handkerchief" as well.

Not knowing that dogs are famous for their sense of smell, however, just falls under "general ignorance".

*Totally. Like. Not at all. Ahem. Plausible deniability.

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Sorry guys, but what exactly are we arguing here about? The smelly panties are clearly useful even if the player does not make the connection with the murder mystery - this item gives you +1 charisma! So what is wrong with finding the smelly panties?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard