Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
H
Helnar Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Originally Posted by ScrotieMcB
I like you, Helnar. If by some strange circumstance I ever run into you in real life, I will buy you a drink of your choice.
Within reason.

Thanks, likewise. Though I agree that it's quite unlikely, unless you live in Iceland! smile

V
stranger
stranger
V
The consensus response to the OP is to realize that the area is too difficult for your present level and to come back later. Although I agree that this is the sane approach, I've never claimed to be sane.

First, it is possible to detect the traps at level 3 as long as one member has the Light Stepper trait. Second, as long as you accept that it's not going to be easy, it is possible by dint of wit and speed for your level 3 characters (at normal difficulty) to defeat the level 6 orcs.

The general approach is to create a barrier from crates and barrels, lure one orc close enough to use teleport, and teleport the orc to a bad place to kill him, run away to end the fight and repeat. Since the shaman is the most dangerous, I killed him first. With the barrier in place and a poison barrel next to a mine, I summoned a spider on the orc side of the barrier. As the orcs approached the spider, I teleported the shaman onto the mine next to the poison barrel. The exploding mine did most of the damage, with the poison from the blown up barrel doing the rest. For another, I did the same, teleporting the orc onto a mine in a pool of water. The exploding mine did a good bit of damage to the orc and caused the water to become electrified, stunning the wounded orc. My troop shot him with arrows while he was stunned until he was dead.

I agree this isn't the most efficient approach, but sometimes it's fun to see if I can win against "impossible" odds (I think I can see a windmill in the distance). smile

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
It is also possible to avoid setting off any mines by hugging the north wall. This is the easiest method to bypass the mines so that you can engage (or bypass) the orcs guarding the Black Cove entrance.

On the topic of psychology, I find that the thrill of engaging in the taboo is an eventually overwhelming motivator for most people. The overwhelming majority of us cannot be outright assholes to our peers, or we face dramatic consequences. This fear of consequence creates a taboo towards bad behavior, and people are often enticed to engage in taboos for the thrill and novelty alone.

The girl falls for the bad boy, people love sex in naughty places, doing what your parents said you cannot, or being an asshole on the internet without any consequences? Taboos are incredibly intoxicating.

H
Helnar Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Originally Posted by Incendax
On the topic of psychology, I find that the thrill of engaging in the taboo is an eventually overwhelming motivator for most people. The overwhelming majority of us cannot be outright assholes to our peers, or we face dramatic consequences. This fear of consequence creates a taboo towards bad behavior, and people are often enticed to engage in taboos for the thrill and novelty alone.

The girl falls for the bad boy, people love sex in naughty places, doing what your parents said you cannot, or being an asshole on the internet without any consequences? Taboos are incredibly intoxicating.

Good point. Social repression is repression after all, even though it's a repressive state we generally agree upon (when rationality is upon us). It just goes to show how the need to be "free of all shackles" is deeply rooted into our psyche, though the root cause for why that is can still be debated.

But why does it manifest in hostility for some, like rk47 in this thread, and not for others? My belief is that there are many other factors at work as well, some of which I've already mentioned in this thread. To fully explain the phenomenon, we would have to examine a complex interplay between various social factors.

Unfortunately, when it comes to social behavior, there is almost never a single all-explanatory cause.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard