Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
After many hours playing this great RPG I'll leave a little feedback based in things that I miss from other games you may want at patching or for future expansions...

-Many games has slots in character screen for tools too (not only weapons are useful in RPGs). It would be nice to have our gold, shovel, magnifying glass, lockpicks, etc in dedicated slots.

-Swap between 2 gears like World of Warcraft. Or at least swap 2 sets of Weapons like Diablo 2.

-And bags needs to be opened outside the inventory (is annoying to drag it out after open). And needs to be opened with right button too (same behavior as portraits)

Last edited by Antartnord; 30/07/14 03:30 AM.
D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
You can drag items to the quick select bar at the bottom of the screen.
Remember that equipping items in combat costs AP, so they kind of need to make each item equip separately.

stranger
stranger
The inventory management is extremely crappy in the game, but to be honest, it's one of the hardest thing to develop in a RPG.

As for what I thought of, after struggling for an entire game with this inventory:

1/ Reduce drops from mobs. Seriously, mobs don't need to drop 1-3 items each. 98% of the dropped items are useless and meant to be sold. BUT, money has still to find its usefulness in this game. All I bought in an entire game was 5-6 tomes and 5-6 legendaries. I ended up with full stacks of gold on my 4 characters... So, just reduce the drop rates, we don't need the money, thus we don't need the useless items. That should get some fresh air to the inventory. To balance it, simply change the weight of the items (a plate armor shouldn't weight as much as 8 potions ; also, a mage with 5 strength shouldn't be able to carry 20 plate armors without efforts...). Increase dramatically the weight of armors and big weapons, for example. Less items in the inventory...

2/ Add a specific window for craft. I know there is a tab for ingredients. But sometimes (well... pretty often, actually), you need to craft items than are not considered as ingredients. Thus, finding your 2 items can take a looooong time as you need to get them close enough so you can drag one on the other one. Just create a little window for crafting, that you can open with a single button, then simply drag the items you want to craft in this window. This way, you can look for your ingredients using the tabs (for exemple, ruby in ingredients and armor in equipment), without having to get them close to one another in the inventory. Also, it can be a nice base if you want to improve the crafting system later, for example allowing to combine more than 2 items etc. That'd also be nice if there were a list of unlocked recipes when opening the craft window.

3/ Add the possibility to change the look of your tiny bags. It's helpful to have bags to sort some items, but they all look the same, and you always have to search for the right bag first. If the bags don't look the same, it can help a great deal sorting the inventory.

4/ Add customisable tabs. If a player can create his own tab and add "markers" to some items for them to appear in the tab, it would be awesome. It can help finding useful items much faster (if it existed I'd have created for myself "quest related books", "useful items" with pyramids, golden grail..., "do not throw" for items I can't wear right now but want to later etc.).

Cheers!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Many games has slots in character screen for tools too (not only weapons are useful in RPGs). It would be nice to have our gold, shovel, magnifying glass, lockpicks, etc in dedicated slots.
My solution to that problem was to simply put all those tools in a backpack.

W
W
I actually like the inventory management, for the most part.

I enjoy keeping things tidy, with their own special places, putting things in bags, having dedicated containers for different types of items. Inventory management was a big part of the infinity engine games (BG, IWD) and from briefly looking at a let's play of Ultima VI, it seemed to be a big part of that too.

Not saying that the opinion of people that don't like it isn't valid, but offering my own counter opinion.

Some people prefer apples, and some oranges. If Larian prefer apples and you prefer oranges, maybe the best thing to do is get an orange-lover to make a mod.

Seconded, weapon sets don't really work when it costs AP to swap weapons.

E
stranger
stranger
E
Same here Whysper, I'm enjoying grabbing chests and having them handy stuffed with all ingredients and items ready for crafting later. I saw the post by the chests packrat, giving me ideas smile

stranger
stranger
I would also like to have a way of switching between simple weapon sets (e.g. weapon + shield). It would still cost the same amount of AP as now (sum of both actions). But it would be a convenient way to change from a 2H weapon (like bow) to 1H + shield. So instead of doing it in 2 steps you could do it in 1 step (yes I'm lazy biggrin).

I think it's easy to implement this using the current quickslot system. A slot could accept both a 1H weapon and a shield. Using this slot would equip both the items, given enough AP available. If there are available AP to equip only one of the two items then the slot would be disabled and the player would have to use another slot, with only the weapon for example, or the inventory.

Also I agree that the carrying capacity/weight of items feels somewhat imbalanced or not logic. Either some of the items should weight more, or the weight limit of the characters should be reduced. I think this is the first game where I haven't been *over-encumbered* once yet. And I generally tend to carry a lot of crap biggrin

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by Antartnord
-Many games has slots in character screen for tools too (not only weapons are useful in RPGs). It would be nice to have our gold, shovel, magnifying glass, lockpicks, etc in dedicated slots.

But that would be a little spoilerish. I'm the kind of player who doesn't look things up but experiment. If you point all the tools to me, half the puzzle is solved.

Originally Posted by Durmir
2/ Add a specific window for craft. [etc]

That's kinda already there when using the backpack. If the backpack window was bigger, it would help a lot though.

Last edited by Tsort; 31/07/14 01:59 PM.
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
As for the AP it could keep their AP in combat as well.

I don't use filters; I really like to order and maintain clean my inventory in this kind of games and (fortunately) there are a lot of objects in this one, this is its great strength but at the same time its great debility because such variety is really hard to store, plus a lot of objects needed often, even using the bar as shortcut for swap items they don't return to their original position.

All I want to transmit is that this game needs a more "clean" inventory system.

Originally Posted by Tsort
Originally Posted by Antartnord

But that would be a little spoilerish. I'm the kind of player who doesn't look things up but experiment. If you point all the tools to me, half the puzzle is solved.

I see it more as a hint, and this huge game really needs hints...

enthusiast
enthusiast
yeah inventory management could use some improvements

Link Copied to Clipboard